Predictions for Round 1? See Description Below

HBL052086

6 hours ago, HBL052086 said:

Give me some predictions for the 1st Round of the draft, including but not limited to:

- Players that will be drafted surprisingly higher or lower than expected?  Taven Bryan pick 11-15 / Minkah Fitzpatrick 11-15

- Most surprising pick by a team?  Mason Rudolph to Buffalo with 12th overall pick

- Teams trading up?  SF (to 7), BUF (to 16), CAR (to 17), NE (to 20), CLE (to 30), TB (to 31) 

-Teams trading back? TB (to 9), BAL (to 22), LAC (to 24), DET (to 23), MIN (to 33), NE (to 38) 

Feel free to add other predictions not listed here:  Lamar Jackson to CIN in round 2

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

@jetskid007 Lamar Jackson falling to early-mid second round would be pretty surprising.

I just get the feeling it will happen, despite recent speculation that he'll go round 1. I've heard the same thing around this time about so many prospects... I think Lamar will be better than both, but this time in the past 3 years we've heard smart guys like Louis Riddick and DJ state they felt Hackenberg and Kizer would go in round 1. I think the fact that Lamar didn't hire an agent will hurt him, and I don't buy that teams like LAC, NE, PIT, NO will take a QB in round 1... they're all trying to win championships in their 2-3 year windows. They'll take QBs, but likely round 2-3 (I don't think Lamar fits the profile of QB NE will look for early in round 2). I don't have ARI taking him in round 1 because look at the QBs they've added: all traditional (statue) pocket passers. I think they'll go for a guy in round 2/3, maybe Lauletta/White. 

So why CIN? They're the type of team that loves athletes and typically aren't concerned about "fit", rather they take talent and figure it out how to use it. Sometimes it burns them, other times it benefits them. They're also very patient with their high draft picks, often sitting them for an entire year before they even see the field. They haven't committed to Dalton by any means, and they have a gaping hole behind him. Lamar would be the kind of lightning rod that can come in if Dalton can't perform and be a Dashaun Watson-type impact late in the season, or a developmental QB until the inevitable happens (they move on from Andy). KEY FACTOR: Marvin Lewis. If you thought they gave him too long of a leash already, just wait until he tells ownership that he'll make Lamar a star if they give him time to develop him...  

7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I just get the feeling it will happen, despite recent speculation that he'll go round 1. I've heard the same thing around this time about so many prospects... I think Lamar will be better than both, but this time in the past 3 years we've heard smart guys like Louis Riddick and DJ state they felt Hackenberg and Kizer would go in round 1. I think the fact that Lamar didn't hire an agent will hurt him, and I don't buy that teams like LAC, NE, PIT, NO will take a QB in round 1... they're all trying to win championships in their 2-3 year windows. They'll take QBs, but likely round 2-3 (I don't think Lamar fits the profile of QB NE will look for early in round 2). I don't have ARI taking him in round 1 because look at the QBs they've added: all traditional (statue) pocket passers. I think they'll go for a guy in round 2/3, maybe Lauletta/White. 

So why CIN? They're the type of team that loves athletes and typically aren't concerned about "fit", rather they take talent and figure it out how to use it. Sometimes it burns them, other times it benefits them. They're also very patient with their high draft picks, often sitting them for an entire year before they even see the field. They haven't committed to Dalton by any means, and they have a gaping hole behind him. Lamar would be the kind of lightning rod that can come in if Dalton can't perform and be a Dashaun Watson-type impact late in the season, or a developmental QB until the inevitable happens (they move on from Andy). KEY FACTOR: Marvin Lewis. If you thought they gave him too long of a leash already, just wait until he tells ownership that he'll make Lamar a star if they give him time to develop him...  

I agree about the point about QB additions for the Cardinals as it relates to Lamar Jackson. I agree with your points about the fit on the Bengals too, but I just am not sure they wouldn't pull that trigger at 21 instead of the second round. I'm also pretty confident at 27, 28, or 31 one of those teams would pick him or a team would trade up by 32.

19 hours ago, HBL052086 said:

Give me some predictions for the 1st Round of the draft, including but not limited to:

- Players that will be drafted surprisingly higher or lower than expected - Higher: McGlinchey, Reid, Ragnow Lower: Ridley (is that surprising anymore?), Hughes

- Most surprising pick by a team: McGlinchey to the Raiders. Old School Gruden making the pick (most likely), has said RT is their main need (thought I read that), makes sense

- Teams trading up: Bills, Titans

-Teams trading back: Broncos, Seahawks

-Specific trades you think will happen: Titans trade with the Seahawks to grab a dropping defensive player

Feel free to add other predictions not listed here. Browns and Colts trade back into 1st to grab another piece

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Bold prediction #2:

The Colts want to move up to be in range for Bradley Chubb. They have to leapfrog the Browns at #4 to get him. So they call the Jets and offer up this trade:

Colts Get:

Pick #3

Jets Get:

Pick #6

2018 2nd

2018 2nd

2019 2nd

Ha. So they are undoing the trade?

My thoughts, with some explanations to go along with those thoughts:

-Players going higher than expected: I can see Iowa CB Josh Jackson going higher, as I think he is a strong candidate for the Packers at #14. I also think that UTEP guard Will Hernandez will not only go in Round 1, but will sneak into the early to mid 20's, perhaps as high as the Lions' pick at #20 or Buffalo at #22. Also wouldn't be shocked to see Texas OT Connor Williams towards the end of Round 1, with the Vikings at #30 and patriots at #31 strong possibilities.

-Players going lower than expected: Definitely think Alabama WR Calvin Ridley falls down the board. Baltimore at #16 will pass on him, either trading back or taking SMU WR Courtland Sutton, and then the next logical team that could go with a receiver would be Jacksonville at #29.

-Trades: With the belief that the 1st 6 picks (in order) will be Allen (CLE), Darnold (NYG), Mayfield (NYJ), Barkley (CLE), Nelson (DEN), and Chubb (IND), I think Tampa at #7 becomes the spot to watch. I'm thinking that Buffalo, who has 2 picks in the 2nd Round, moves up to #7 for whichever QB is left between Mayfield and Rosen (I predict it will be Rosen). Tampa moves back to #12 and is still in position to grab either Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick to address their weakness in the secondary. Buffalo will want to jump Miami, who would strongly consider either Rosen or Mayfield at #11 should one of them still be available. Also for Tampa, they pick up an additional 2nd-round pick from Buffalo, and can use it to try to jump back into the end of Round 1 for either UTEP guard will Hernandez, or a running back, specifically Derrius Guice of LSU.

- I think the Patriots trade back with Tampa, and move back to Tampa's #38 in Round 2. Tampa moves up for a RB, most likely Derrius Grice or Georgia's Sony Michel. That gives the Patriots 3 picks in Round 2 to address the secondary, linebacker, and possibly QB positions.

Other predictions

- The Cardinals are the team that misses out on one of the top 4 QB's, and fearing that New Orleans will nab him at #27, they take Lamar Jackson at #15. Unfortunately Arizona doesn't have the draft capital that Buffalo does, thus the Bills will move up and get Rosen or Mayfield.

- No QB's go in Round 2 after Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson go on Day 1. I think Mason Rudolph and Kyle Lauletta land in Round 3. I like either the Chargers, Dolphins, or Broncos for Rudolph, and I just get the feeling, partly based on information that's out there, that Lauletta lands with the Patriots. The Bengals would also be an option for Lauletta.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:59 PM, jetskid007 said:

I just don't see any way Lamar falls to the 2nd round with so many teams in need of an upgrade at QB. Hes a really good prospect imo and keep in mind next years QB class is looking horrendous. 

54 minutes ago, jarren said:

I just don't see any way Lamar falls to the 2nd round with so many teams in need of an upgrade at QB. Hes a really good prospect imo and keep in mind next years QB class is looking horrendous. 

I agree, but here's how I see things panning out... 

• 4 of these 6 times will draft a QB in the top 10: CLE, NYG, NYJ, DEN, BUF, MIA
  • of the 6 teams, MIA is least likely to select a QB, followed by DEN. 
  • ARI seems to have a "type" of QB they prefer (see Bradford, Glennon) so it's conceivable they pass on Jackson
  • BAL/LAC/NE/NO/PIT/JAX will not select a QB in round 1. Maybe round 2. (just my sense)  
  • If DEN passes on a QB round 1, it would suggest they're smitten with letting their QB room work its way out as it stands with Keenum the starter and Lynch/Kelly continuing their development, so no QB in round 2 (pick 40). 
  • The main threat would be MIA; do they take him at pick 42? I think they will opt to select a QB in round 3 instead. Their are a lot of breadcrumbs pointing to Luke Falk. Still, very possible they would pick him here. 
  • NE has a clear "type" of QB (prefer pocket passers) and I don't see Lamar in that mold. Pass in round 2  (pick 43). 
  • With WAS and GB picking before CIN, it's likely he'd fall into their laps. Sure another team can jump them, but I'll continue to point to Kizer last year, who was supremely talented, but raw, and he fell to pick 52 despite many saying he'd go late 1st to a team that needs to "develop a QB"... 

Remember, this class isn't only volume at the top; it's deep throughout. Outside the top 4 and Lamar Jackson, it's conceivable to think that teams will have Day 2 grades on Rudolph, Lauletta, White, and Falk. We could see a situation unfold like 2011/2012, where 4-5 QBs go in round 1, 2-3 in round 2, and 2-3 in round 3. With teams having alternative options, they may not feel as pressured to take a QB at the end of round 1, opting to go BPA and target the signal caller on day 2. 

Archived