Lamar Jackson at 16

diamondbull424

So Bucky Brooks' latest mock draft has the Ravens taking Jackson at #16. I still remain very unconvinced. I just don't see the passing accuracy, and I'll never be a fan of QBs who tuck it and run at the first opportunity:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926088/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-40-ravens-pick-lamar-jackson

Bucky makes a decent argument as to why it would be a good fit, given the Ravens' current coaching staff. But again, it just seems like something John Harbaugh would really fight against. In a make or break season, why would he want to take a QB who won't play as a first round pick? Sure, Ozzie might overrule him, but that would be a major blow to the internal dynamics of the organisation.

5 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

So Bucky Brooks' latest mock draft has the Ravens taking Jackson at #16. I still remain very unconvinced. I just don't see the passing accuracy, and I'll never be a fan of QBs who tuck it and run at the first opportunity:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926088/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-40-ravens-pick-lamar-jackson

Bucky makes a decent argument as to why it would be a good fit, given the Ravens' current coaching staff. But again, it just seems like something John Harbaugh would really fight against. In a make or break season, why would he want to take a QB who won't play as a first round pick? Sure, Ozzie might overrule him, but that would be a major blow to the internal dynamics of the organisation.

Honestly, I dont think Jackson will make it to 16 any longer. He will be top 10. Yes I think 5 QBs will go top ten this year.. Book it. It will be Good for us though

6 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

1. That’s not really Lamar Jackson though. He’s much more Rusell Wilson/Big Ben than Mike Vick when it comes to running the football as a quarterback. He stands in the pocket with the goal of making plays and uses his feet to buy time. The only time he seems to break away from that is when pressure is near automatic on every play, which I saw with his NCState tape against Bradley Chubb. Though I’m not sure if you consider Wilson ‘s style of play something you’re a fan of.

2. It would disrupt that dynamic if Harbaugh is given another year as a show of faith. This is also only if Flacco fails to perform. What’s more this draft is strong in the second day at finding receiving targets, we would still have plenty of opportunities to upgrade the offense outside of a Jackson selection.

If we ignore, that I would prefer trying to ride it out with Flacco over the next 2-3 years given, that we provide him with some talent on offense, I would prefer Jackson over anyone named Baker Mayfield.

If he can become more Russell Wilson and less RGIII, I believe he has some potential. As any other QB prospect, he has to clean up some things, and he might never be a nice rythm passer, but the big play potential and red zone ability could be the seperator compared to the rest of the QB talents in most drafts.

2 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

But again, it just seems like something John Harbaugh would really fight against. In a make or break season, why would he want to take a QB who won't play as a first round pick? Sure, Ozzie might overrule him, but that would be a major blow to the internal dynamics of the organisation.

I don't believe at all that Harbaugh is in a make or break season. How I see things, he's a lock to be here longer than Flacco is, so there's no reason for him not to be on board. 

1 hour ago, Danand said:

If we ignore, that I would prefer trying to ride it out with Flacco over the next 2-3 years given, that we provide him with some talent on offense, I would prefer Jackson over anyone named Baker Mayfield.

If he can become more Russell Wilson and less RGIII, I believe he has some potential. As any other QB prospect, he has to clean up some things, and he might never be a nice rythm passer, but the big play potential and red zone ability could be the seperator compared to the rest of the QB talents in most drafts.

I think the important thing to note regardless is that Flacco will be the starter for at least 2018. If Flacco excels, then 2019 as well. If Flacco goes beast mode we could always trade Lamar Jackson for a top 3 pick. If Flacco remains same old Flacco, we could probably trade him for a 1st/2nd round pick to whatever team misses out on a franchise QB. Flacco is  respected enough in the franchise that he probably could even decide which teams he would prefer to go to as long as the deals are of similar value.

But yeah, so knowing we plan to sit this quarterback for at least a year or two, I would prefer Jackson over all others. He just turned 21 years old, in two more years, he’s as old as Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph. That’s ample time for him to bulk up another 15 lbs and turn better passing mechanics into habit by the time he takes over as a starter.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think the important thing to note regardless is that Flacco will be the starter for at least 2018. If Flacco excels, then 2019 as well. If Flacco goes beast mode we could always trade Lamar Jackson for a top 3 pick. If Flacco remains same old Flacco, we could probably trade him for a 1st/2nd round pick to whatever team misses out on a franchise QB. Flacco is  respected enough in the franchise that he probably could even decide which teams he would prefer to go to as long as the deals are of similar value.

But yeah, so knowing we plan to sit this quarterback for at least a year or two, I would prefer Jackson over all others. He just turned 21 years old, in two more years, he’s as old as Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph. That’s ample time for him to bulk up another 15 lbs and turn better passing mechanics into habit by the time he takes over as a starter.

He does look a bit slim, but he hasn't had durability issues in college (what we know of). The more important thing is that in the NFL, he has to go down on contact instead of getting into weird positions, where he can get hit like RGIII did.

If he plays it smart and take the yards he can without getting hit, he will have a better and more productive career. Russell Wilson is the bar the dual threat QB's should aim at regarding how he plays that style of quarterback.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

He does look a bit slim, but he hasn't had durability issues in college (what we know of). The more important thing is that in the NFL, he has to go down on contact instead of getting into weird positions, where he can get hit like RGIII did.

If he plays it smart and take the yards he can without getting hit, he will have a better and more productive career. Russell Wilson is the bar the dual threat QB's should aim at regarding how he plays that style of quarterback.

The good thing about Jackson is that he has his mom in his ear talking football. She rips him apart on a weekly basis for doing things like not protecting himself or noticing a receiver on a crosser.

The only thing I don’t like about Jackson is his tendency to throw with only his arm. He doesn’t throw with his legs, which is the biggest problem with both his accuracy and at times power on throws. But given time to habitualize those things before taking over, he would be in a good spot theoretically. As a starter you don’t have time to tweak your technique or else it can mess with your consistency in games, but as a project franchise quarterback he can do those things. Especially with RG3 being the “true” backup quarterback for us in 2018. We never have to worry about the crazy mobs calling for Flacco’s head and for Lamar Jackson to start, without giving them something else to chew on entirely.

Archived