The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I think it's been understated the impact a guy like Elflein could have on the offensive line. Having someone who could potentially anchor the line for the next decade-plus is huge. 

I made a similar point back in May on the old board, providing a little historical context on the stability of the position over the years for this franchise.

Mick Tingelhoff (17 seasons in Minnesota, started 240 games at C from 1962-1978) 
Dennis Swilley (11 seasons in Minnesota, started 101 games at C from 1979-1986) 
Kirk Lowdermilk (8 seasons in Minnesota, started 86 games at C from 1987-1992) 
Jeff Christy (6 seasons in Minnesota, started 92 games at C from 1994-1999) 
Matt Birk (11 seasons in Minnesota, started 123 games at C from 2000-2008) 
John Sullivan (8 seasons in Minnesota, started 93 games at C from 2009-2014) 

Some games missed were sprinkled in there due to injury or time off, such as Matt Birk's missed season in 2005 and Dennis Swilley missing the 1984 season, but it's still been a pretty impressive run. These six players have accounted for 735 of the team's 854 games all-time (86%). I would love to see Pat Elflein's name added to this list of longevity. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that the offensive line fell off the last two years, after Sullivan's departure. I never thought of Berger as a suitable replacement there (no matter what PFF said), and I'd say the same about Easton there. They just aren't guys I could see anchoring the unit like I believe Elflein will do.

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

This is the most optimistic I have been in regards to the interior portion of the offensive line since the 2009 group.  While it may not mean much, I did see that group of interior linemen look pretty competent against the Seahawks' first team defense. 

Competent, yes. But they have a long way to go to reach an All Pro level. I can't even say we've seen hints at that type of ability. 

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Competent, yes. But they have a long way to go to reach an All Pro level. I can't even say we've seen hints at that type of ability. 

Well, certainly they have a long way to go to reach an All-Pro level.  But, I think I've seen enough from Elflein alone to suggest that he can be.  Easton, maybe, maybe not.  But, the fact that he appears to have just stepped right in, with absolutely no experience playing guard, and look better than Boone, that tells me something.  Maybe he'll never be an All-Pro, but he certainly can be a good one.  And that's all that he needs to be.  Of Isidora, I know nothing, but I've heard good things.  

• 2 weeks later...

Elflein: “We focused on practicing fast, getting in and out of the huddle, making efficient plays and doing it consistently. I feel like we had a good week at practice, and I think that definitely transferred over to the game. Getting in and out of the huddle, going fast and all being on the same page. If we can give Case just a little bit of time or give Dalvin a sliver of an open hole, those guys can make plays. We work hard so those guys can do what they do.”

Zimmer: "I thought the offensive line was outstanding.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Dalvin-Cook-Scores-1st-Career-TD-Breaks-Vikings-Record-Against-Bucs/e1f74e32-8bbd-48f6-b64e-ca4b0d0bb320?sf116417594=1

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The o-Line is playing well, still a lot of room for improvement, but you are seeing a group of guys finally playing as a cohesive unit. 

Easton is the weak link, but I think he’ll be ok as the year progresses. Ideally he’ll be the 6th man next year. 

I view him as a priority backup player at all interior positions.

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The o-Line is playing well, still a lot of room for improvement, but you are seeing a group of guys finally playing as a cohesive unit. 

Easton is the weak link, but I think he’ll be ok as the year progresses. Ideally he’ll be the 6th man next year. 

I'd like to see more. The front sevens faced have been somewhat underwhelming, minus the Steelers. Haven't faced any top edge rushers yet, TJ Watt looks good though. id like to see the OL be more effective early on when running the ball. Seems MN has been slow to get going.

long term, MN needs to find a mauler at RG, someone who can give the run game a boost. 

Reiff has been a pleasant surprise so far. 

Not sold on Easton yet.

Remmers just isn't that good but he seems  decent enough, better than what was starting last year.