The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

47 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Good to see some progress. Hopefully Elflein can prove to be a worthy building block moving forward. Still could upgrade a couple of spots, but I feel really good about Elflein and Reiff going forward. Easton and Remmers still need to show more and Berger is probably in his last season.

I agree.  2 upgrades would be nice via the draft or a top FA.

One offensive lineman that’s noticeably struggled so far, however, is left guard Nick Easton.

While his Pro Football Focus grade reflect these struggles (Easton is 63rd among guards with 39.6 overall grade), things aren’t all doom and gloom for the former undrafted free agent. According to PFF, Easton has actually been both the Vikings best pass blocker and one of the best pass blockers in the entire league for his position.

https://thevikingage.com/2017/10/06/pff-nick-easton-minnesota-vikings-pass-block/

Edited by disaacs

Easton has never played LG, to my knowledge, before this season. Early struggles are to be expected. 

In an ideal situation I still think that Easton could be perfect for a utility interior lineman, similar to what berger was when he first arrived. But it’ll be interesting to see what Easton’s grades are at the end of the year compared to these first four games. 

Last year the injuries meant that there could be no unit cohesiveness.  The longer this group of five can play together the better they are.  I am hoping and praying for no offensive line injuries this season!

A year after injuries derailed the Vikings’ offensive line, the team enters their fifth game of the season with a completely healthy group of linemen that have played together every game this season.

Zimmer: “You saw from a year ago to now, the difference in what they’re doing. The offensive line is playing good. They have a good group. The communication level has been good. It really is important to stay healthy.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/07/vikings-wr-michael-floyd-looking-forward-to-first-game-after-suspension/

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I'm surprised how well Reiff has played. Wasn't ever this good in Detroit.

He was never bad in Detroit either. But I think a big reason for his improvement is that the Vikings aren’t running a lot, if any, 7 step drop plays, and the QBs are getting rid of the ball fairly quickly. That wasn’t the case in Detroit. Before Cooter took over as OC, the lions ran a lot of 7 step drop plays, and Stafford likes to hold on to the ball. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He was never bad in Detroit either. But I think a big reason for his improvement is that the Vikings aren’t running a lot, if any, 7 step drop plays, and the QBs are getting rid of the ball fairly quickly. That wasn’t the case in Detroit. Before Cooter took over as OC, the lions ran a lot of 7 step drop plays, and Stafford likes to hold on to the ball. 

No, he was never bad. Always seemed to fit in that average to below average grouping, basically mediocre. He's been much better than mediocre.

Last year, through 6 games, the Vikings had allowed 14 sacks and 46 hits to the QB. This year, through 6 games, the Vikings have only allowed 9 sacks and 35 hits to the QB. 

And when you factor in that 4 of the sacks and most of the 10 hits came in the first half of the game in Chicago. When Bradford was going down on his own and couldn’t move, it shows how much the offensive line is improved. 

• Like 1

Quality offensive line play has been the norm for the Vikings, a franchise that has dealt with injury and turmoil at that position for a few seasons before 2017. Adversity struck in this game, too, with injuries to starting left tackle Riley Reiff and backup left guard Jeremiah Sirles, but the Minnesota Moving Company powered through that thanks to admirable performances from reserve Rashod Hill at left tackle and rookie Danny Isidora at left guard. For the game, the Vikings offensive line kept quarterback Case Keenum clean with no sacks allowed and helped open up running lanes to the tune of 169 yards rushing on 33 attempts (5.2 per attempt) for Murray, Jerick McKinnon and Keenum. Murray had his best day as a Viking, toting the ball 18 times for 133 yards, including the 29-yard burst in the 3rd quarter that put the Vikings out in front by a score of 18-6.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/7-Takeaways-from-the-Vikings-Win-Over-Baltimore/c06fca30-cd12-42e1-9d43-a496e11c6558?sf124243389=1

On October 17, 2017 at 8:15 AM, SemperFeist said:

Last year, through 6 games, the Vikings had allowed 14 sacks and 46 hits to the QB. This year, through 6 games, the Vikings have only allowed 9 sacks and 35 hits to the QB. 

And when you factor in that 4 of the sacks and most of the 10 hits came in the first half of the game in Chicago. When Bradford was going down on his own and couldn’t move, it shows how much the offensive line is improved. 

That or ditching the outdated Air Coryell offense. I like what Shurmur is doing.