The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Richie Incognito is an NFL free agent after being released by the Bills this week, but he’s reportedly been held by police after an incident in Florida on Wednesday. TMZ reports that law enforcement sources confirmed Incognito has been placed in an involuntary hold for a mental evaluation after police were called to a gym to intervene during an altercation between Incognito and another man.

The alleged victim told TMZ Incognito threw a tennis ball for no reason and followed up by throwing a dumbbell at him as well. Incognito was allegedly “rambling about the government and screaming at the man to ‘get off my f*cking playground'” while this was going on.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/23/report-richie-incognito-held-by-police-after-incident-at-gym/

anyone still interested...?

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

anyone still interested...?

I am after he deals with his issues. Whether he needs to get medication (adjusted) or just get his mind right I do not know, but if he can get it under control the Vikings could use his abilities. The situation on the offensive line remains my greatest concern for the coming season. Bringing in Incognito on a one year deal around the start of camp makes sense if Richie gets things under control.

29 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am after he deals with his issues. Whether he needs to get medication (adjusted) or just get his mind right I do not know, but if he can get it under control the Vikings could use his abilities. The situation on the offensive line remains my greatest concern for the coming season. Bringing in Incognito on a one year deal around the start of camp makes sense if Richie gets things under control.

You have way too much interest invested in a guy who seems to be about 15 seconds away from being Dimitrius Underwood or Barret Robbins.  The Vikings' offensive line isn't top 10 in the league, but he ain't worth the trouble.  

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, disaacs said:

You have way too much interest invested in a guy who seems to be about 15 seconds away from being Dimitrius Underwood or Barret Robbins.  The Vikings' offensive line isn't top 10 in the league, but he ain't worth the trouble.  

I don't know. You might be misjudging my interest in Incognito. The only reason I have any interest at all is because I do not think that the guys the team has are good enough, I think Incognito would improve them, and I don't think there are alternatives that can come in and start at this point.

I would have much rather the team found a better option already but they are out of options.

As far as Incognito's troubles, we do not know what is causing them, what treatment there may be for them, or how effective the treatment would be. I did predicate all interest in him on him first getting the issues under control. Not everyone with mental health issues, if that is what it is, is going to turn into Underwood or Robbins. There are people all around you in society that are effectively dealing with mental health issues. There are people in the NFL that are managing such issues. If his fit of rage was caused by drug abuse there are even more players in the NFL managing their own drug problems.

Richie Incognito is a good guard. Aside from that, he certainly has some flaws but who among us does not have flaws? IMO, if Incognito gets his issues under control he is easily the best available option for this upcoming season. He is a way better football player than Nick Easton. The other guard position is in even worse shape than the LG position the team plans to have Easton hold down.

Edited by Cearbhall
Coherance
  • Like 1

I had a slight interest in Richie...until the dumbbell incident. 

Really just hope he gets the help he needs as an individual.

*I'd also like to keep that cap space for upcoming in-house players (Hunter, Diggs, Barr, Richardson)

Edited by VikeManDan

That's fair, @Cearbhall, but I just feel that the negatives of Richie Incognito...including his age, far outweigh any difference he could make in this offensive line...and I mean, it ain't even close.  What he'd add to this offensive line isn't even that much, from a performance perspective,  as far as I'm concerned.  He's not the second coming of Randall McDaniel...or even Zack Martin for that matter.  IMO, at this stage of his career, I think Berger would be a better guard than Incognito is.  Incognito has the name, but he's not the player.  He's barely a step above Brandon Fusco.  

Mike Remmers spent the second week of OTAs working at right guard after playing right tackle the first week. Remmers is all but a lock to be a starter. Which position he plays could depend on how others look. The Vikings are evaluating Rashod Hill and rookie Brian O’Neill as candidates at right tackle, and Tom Compton and Danny Isidora as candidates at right guard. In the meantime, Remmers has no idea where he will end up.

Remmers: “I like both [positions], I don’t think I have a preference. They’re both fun spots. You have to ask the coaches that. I’m just doing whatever they tell me to do.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/31/vikings-de-danielle-hunter-stronger-quicker-and-a-year-away-from-payday/