The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Eason is doing that poorly, well if that is the case that will be a hard fill at guard.  Will be interesting if Isidora becomes the starter, but I thought Remmers was moving to guard?  Then would have Reiff and Hill or Reiff and O'Neill at tackle.  Be curious if Gossett could move his way up is Eason is struggling.  

There is not many guards out there in free agency unless someone gets cut.  Could be a big issues if a player does not step forward and take the position.   

Ugh Easton is hurt not doing poorly. Gossett, Isidora, Compton, Collins are all options to fill the void I'd imagine.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Ugh Easton is hurt not doing poorly. Gossett, Isidora, Compton, Collins are all options to fill the void I'd imagine.

I see now that Easton is out for the season, sorry I am not glued to some ESPN writers account on twitter like you apparently are.  So yeah that is a big deal, so Remmers is staying at tackle then?  Compton not sure I have tons of faith in him and Collins could be a nice athletic guard but tackle might be his better option and he might lack the power needed for guard.  Having starting guards of potentially Isidora and Compton yeah that is a pretty big issue I would say.  Unless Eflein moves from center which would suck because doubt any of the other centers on the roster are good.  Now they totally need Gossett to play and be good rather quickly especially in terms of depth.  

Back again to Remmers, yeah move him to guard and this almost makes that a certain thing to happen.  Then would have Reiff, Remmers, Eflein, Isidora and Hill/O'Neill

It was mentioned that Easton was out for the season like 5 posts above yours, read the thread. 

Remmers is at RG, the Easton injury opens up a spot at LG. I imagine we'll likely have Reiff-???-Elflein-Remmers-Hill as the starters. I don't think they would move Remmers over to LG when he comes back from his sprained ankle, which is not serious. 

There was a tweet earlier in the thread that was saying that Collins' has looked vastly improved going against the 1st and 2nd defensive units. Agreed that this injury hurts the depth.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I see now that Easton is out for the season, sorry I am not glued to some ESPN writers account on twitter like you apparently are.  So yeah that is a big deal, so Remmers is staying at tackle then?  Compton not sure I have tons of faith in him and Collins could be a nice athletic guard but tackle might be his better option and he might lack the power needed for guard.  Having starting guards of potentially Isidora and Compton yeah that is a pretty big issue I would say.  Unless Eflein moves from center which would suck because doubt any of the other centers on the roster are good.  Now they totally need Gossett to play and be good rather quickly especially in terms of depth.  

Back again to Remmers, yeah move him to guard and this almost makes that a certain thing to happen.  Then would have Reiff, Remmers, Eflein, Isidora and Hill/O'Neill

Why are you saying Remmers is staying at tackle? Teams have to start 2 players at guard, not 1. So having options to fill in for Easton at G does not mean Remmers won't also be playing at G.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

Why are you saying Remmers is staying at tackle? Teams have to start 2 players at guard, not 1. So having options to fill in for Easton at G does not mean Remmers won't also be playing at G.

I assumed he was moving to guard personally, I have not heard anything official on that yet though but again I guess I am not as 'connected' as some of you apparently are.  I hope he does move to guard and stay there.  Sorry if I do not watch every single snap of the Vikings at camp currently, have a few other things to do...

One position to fill at guard is a lot easier than two that is for sure.  Then again who knows if Remmers can even play it all that effectively, much less without getting hurt.  Sadly they bring in Wright and King as WRs, a position of not huge need at all, and sign only one OL in free agency in Compton.  Sure they wish they got another OL of some kind instead of King right now!  They could have freaking signed Xavier Su'a-Filo for the same amount they signed King!   Yeah give me Su'a-Filo at guard over King right now....

Comparing Su'a-Filo to Easton, Su'a-Filo has started 41 games in his 4 year NFL career, Easton only started 17 in his 4 year NFL career.

I've been pulling for Easton since they traded for him in 2015 but he was never better than OK last year. Wanted them to draft a guard specifically so they could upgrade at LG (would've drafted a G even with the plan to move Remmers inside) and move Easton to a Berger-in-2013 role as an IOL multiposition backup. 

Coming back from injury, hopefully he'll take a cheap 1-2 year deal for backup money and we'll have him for depth in 2019 and beyond.

For LG this year, I'm hoping one of the young guys can be better than Compton. Compton wouldn't be terrible but I'd much rather have him as a backup like Sirles was last year.

If Isidora has improved some of his footwork issues, he might be a good fit.

I'm very high on Collins, who has excellent mobility and play strength. He's a little smaller but that's fine at LG, might be his best position given that his arms are probably too short for him to survive at tackle.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

The answer to that question is basically always no. There aren't enough good OL to go around, you could maybe get a slightly better back-up via a trade, but that would be about it.

Easton was acquired in a trade and eventually developed into a decent starter. I'd certainly look into trading for an OL, and we've got trade ammo at CB. I'd hate to not explore that option.

At this point, I don’t think anyone acquired in an Easton type swap would net us anyone better than who we currently have on roster. We would have to move a relatively significant piece to find meaningful help.