The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

11 minutes ago, RpMc said:

At this point, I don’t think anyone acquired in an Easton type swap would net us anyone better than who we currently have on roster. We would have to move a relatively significant piece to find meaningful help. 

True, but again it is freaking damn odd that we signed Tavarres King to almost the exact same amount of money as we could of signed Xavier Su'a-Filo apparently.  No clue why we have that much WR depth when really it is not all that needed.  They better be sound in their drafting and belief in these younger guards, because honestly even with Easton the OG position it is not exactly a strong point, and without him is even worse.  

Pretty sure they are not going to go after Richie Incognito after his tirade that is for sure.  Jahri Evans and Alex Boone are out there still, doubt they got after Boone though after letting him go already once.   Zane Beadles, Luke Joeckel, Jeff Allen, Donavan Clark and Orlando Franklin are some others.  Would be surprised if they do not bring someone in that is for sure at least for a little workout.  

• Like 1

Just now, NorthCountryEvo said:

I say again: does anyone have Berger’s number?

Apparently, there is no chance he is coming back. I know Mike Hughes looks studly, but it was probably a mistake at this point we didn't take Hernandez, Daniels, or someone else. We took luxury over need

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Apparently, there is no chance he is coming back. I know Mike Hughes looks studly, but it was probably a mistake at this point we didn't take Hernandez, Daniels, or someone else. We took luxury over need

After last year, Nickle CB and maybe even #2 CB could be more important. Obviously the team had some faith in our offensive line. 

Again, reminder.... teams don’t win for drafting by need. It’s always the best player available at a position of need. Hernandez didn’t look like a beast tonight. He also isn’t a perfect fit. Now if Ragnow was around at our pick, I would of expected us to take him, maybe even over Hughes. 

Drafting lineman just because of needed “depth” just so we had one in case of injury is not the way to go.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

After last year, Nickle CB and maybe even #2 CB could be more important. Obviously the team had some faith in our offensive line. 

Again, reminder.... teams don’t win for drafting by need. It’s always the best player available at a position of need. Hernandez didn’t look like a beast tonight. He also isn’t a perfect fit. Now if Ragnow was around at our pick, I would of expected us to take him, maybe even over Hughes. 

Drafting lineman just because of needed “depth” just so we had one in case of injury is not the way to go.

Taking a lineman in the first wouldn't have been because of depth. That was a need going into the draft. More so than a #2/nickle CB.

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Taking a lineman in the first wouldn't have been because of depth. That was a need going into the draft. More so than a #2/nickle CB.

Taking a guard in the 1st round would be to sit behind Easton or Remmers, so it would have been depth, and future starter, most likely just like Hughes. What guard would we have took that was a system fit. True system fit round 1 that was available. I like Daniels as much as everyone, but almost all reports have been he needs to stay at center. 

Like I said, you don’t draft a need to just draft a need. You draft the best available player at a position of need. 

• Like 2

Rick Spielman's error wasn't in drafting Hughes over Hernandez or any other offensive lineman if Hughes is the better player. The mistake was not in addressing the offensive line more effectively in the time before the '18 draft going back to when he first was given GM control. The draft should not be counted on for immediate needs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Also gets you Harrison Smith, Anthony Barr, etc.

This need vs BPA debate is truly tiresome as BPA becomes so subjective.

The Vikings targeted Smith and made a trade up for him. He was the best player on their board. Same with Barr, he was easily viewed as a top talent player on the board, and many were confused as to why the Vikings would draft a pass rusher after just signing Griffen. In fact, Anthony Barr is a prime example of why you draft the “best player available”. 

So, while BPA is subjective, it’s very easy to see talent, and the level of that talent. Taking a player who’s clearly at a lower level of talent, simply because they fill a need, is what leads to a lot of draft mistakes. 

Edited by SemperFeist