The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Right guard Mike Remmers and right tackle Rashod Hill have missed time, including the second preseason game, with ankle injuries. They have returned to practice this week, though, and head coach Mike Zimmer said on Wednesday that he expects both to play against the Seahawks on Friday night.

Zimmer:  “I think they’ll get some reps this week. We need to firm up the pocket a little bit and stay stout in there.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/23/vikings-getting-healthier-on-offensive-line/

• Like 1

PFF grades / stats for the Vikings OL with a realistic chance of making the roster:

Pass block grades (total snaps, sacks/hits/hurries):

1. Reiff 87.6 (69, 0/0/0)
  2. Edison 84.0 (114, 0/0/1)
  3. Andrews 83.8 (53, 0/0/0)
  4. Gossett 83.4 (22, 0/0/0)
  5. Isidora 82.2 (130, 0/0/2)
  6. O’Neill 81.8 (115, 0/0/0)
  7. Remmers 79.4 (14, 0/0/0)
  8. Compton 63.2 (100, 0/1/1)
  9. Hill 59.5 (45, 0/0/0)
  10. Collins 41.2 (177, 1/1/5)

Overall grades (run block grades):

1. O’Neill 67.9 (53.6)
  2. Andrews 67.2 (69.0)
  3. Reiff 63.0 (57.1)
  4. Gossett 62.6 (54.0)
  5. Remmers 61.7 (57.3)
  6. Hill 59.2 (56.9)
  7. Collins 56.0 (61.8)
  8. Isidora 54.4 (45.0)
  9. Compton 53.2 (48.5)
  10. Edison 51.1 (39.2)

...worth mentioning that the overall grades include penalties, so Collins, Isidora and Edison gets docked for that. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I seem to remember O'Neal letting someone by him pretty quick that got to the QB once. Didn't he hit the QB?

Sack was credited to Siemian. O’Neill pushed the DE 10 yards upfield but Siemian dropped back further into the pressure instead of stepping up. 

Just now, Krauser said:

Sack was credited to Siemian. O’Neill pushed the DE 10 yards upfield but Siemian dropped back further into the pressure instead of stepping up. 

Oh I didn't realize they gave them to the QBs. I thought he got there pretty quick but could be wrong

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Oh I didn't realize they gave them to the QBs. I thought he got there pretty quick but could be wrong

It’s not that Siemian held the ball, it’s that he didn’t step up and in fact faded back into pressure. 

O’Neill sets inside here, looks like he’s expecting Boone to chip (Boone waves at the DE on the way by but whiffs). O’Neill recovers some depth and rides Walden 9-10 yards deep. It’s not a great rep for him, and he probably gets a minus grade for it.

But if Siemian hitches up a step or two, as he should, there’s no pressure. Can’t expect your tackles to run edge pressure past the pocket deeper than about 8 yards. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Krauser said:

It’s not that Siemian held the ball, it’s that he didn’t step up and in fact faded back into pressure. 

i didn't notice that when watching the first time. siemian should have stepped up as soon as he hit the bottom of his drop, he had room to. 

instead he waited a second and got sacked.

Edited by whitehops

12 minutes ago, whitehops said:

i didn't notice that when watching the first time. siemian should have stepped up as soon as he hit the bottom of his drop, he had room to. 

instead he waited a second and got sacked.

His pocket presence was absolutely brutal vs Seattle.