The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

As we move forward, is Elflein a LG or a Center?

I think he stays at C. He's very mobile. No problem with snaps. Seems to do well managing protection calls. 

His main problem is lack of play strength, which would only be worse if he had to play G and handle DTs one-on-one more often. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Krauser said:

I think he stays at C. He's very mobile. No problem with snaps. Seems to do well managing protection calls. 

His main problem is lack of play strength, which would only be worse if he had to play G and handle DTs one-on-one more often. 

Agree with you. The biggest upgrade since Pat return has been protection calls against the blitz. He would get eaten alive at guard. Top priority is LG if Remmers continues improve at RG.  Drafting O'Neil is looking like a smart move.  O'Neil has been reliable. Hopefully in year 2 he can develop like Ramczyk of the Saints   

Edited by dc_vikingfan

I was watching a PFF youtube video about Cousins and they showed our OL grading so far this season according to PFF -

Overall Pass Blocking Grade - 31st in the league

Pass Block Efficiency - 28th in the league

Total Pressures Allowed - 32nd in the league (number of pressures per pass attempt would be a better statistic but nevertheless even this is pretty alarming)

This video was put up before the Lions game..so these above stats are for our first 8 games of the season. I thought OL was pretty good against Lions. Anyways, none of the contenders have a bad O-Line like us. It's going to be  our biggest weakness in playoffs (if we reach)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I was watching a PFF youtube video about Cousins and they showed our OL grading so far this season according to PFF -

Overall Pass Blocking Grade - 31st in the league

Pass Block Efficiency - 28th in the league

Total Pressures Allowed - 32nd in the league (number of pressures per pass attempt would be a better statistic but nevertheless even this is pretty alarming)

This video was put up before the Lions game..so these above stats are for our first 8 games of the season. I thought OL was pretty good against Lions. Anyways, none of the contenders have a bad O-Line like us. It's going to be  our biggest weakness in playoffs (if we reach)

•  

We've also been without Reiff for several weeks and the defense seems to be coming together, which should make the offense more balanced. It's a bad line but I think they will be put in a better position to succeed going forward.

OL pass blocking efficiency,  by week:

1. SF: 89.5%, 12th that week
  2. @ GB: 83.7%, 23rd
  3. BUF: 74.2%, 28th — they allowed 29 pressures (just from the OL) but somehow 4 teams were even worse
  4. @ LARM: 71.4%, 30th of 30
  5. @ PHI: 81.7%, 22nd of 30
  6. ARI: 81.6%, 23rd of 30
  7. @ NYJ: 90.7%, 8th of 28
  8. NO: 77.3%, 26th of 28
  9. DET: 84.8%, 18th of 26

Remmers has played well the last 5 weeks, only 2 hits and 6 hurries allowed in that span. 

Reiff was terrible in the Bills game, apparently playing hurt, but has only allowed 1 hit and 8 hurries in his other 5 games combined. The Bills game was the only one where he didn’t grade out at least very good (70+).

O’Neill allowed 4 hits and 4 hurries in his 4 starts, though 5 of those pressures came in the Saints game where he faced Cam Jordan.

Elflein has only had one game graded above average (60), facing the Cards who have little or no talent at DT. Only one C has allowed more sacks + hits combined than Elflein’s 5, even though he missed the first 2 weeks.

Compton got abused by Aaron Donald but otherwise has been graded as very good or better (70+) in his other 6 games, allowing only 1 sack (the one where Armstead blew by him in the Niners game) and 7 hurries. 

The worst OL fro, the last month are clearly Hill and Isidora, who will be backups after the bye assuming Compton is back by then.

...again, there’s a solid OL that could come together in the second half of this year. Main question is if Elflein can step up his game, and if O’Neill can hold up against power rushers, especially Mack (twice).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...