The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I think Boones departure is a good thing right now, but I can see it being part of a catastrophe if the line gets the injury bug again. It seems like we wanted Easton to start at LG which is why's we tried to negotiate Boone's salary down to a backup level wage, but in the end, if we start losing interior lineman, we will wish he was here. Right now we have Isidora to backup the guard spots, then maybe Sirles. After that, maybe Remmers pushed inside and Hill takes a starting tackle spot. A big part of roster composition is being prepared for injury, and we saw how that bit us in the butt last year. Again, I'm good with Boone leaving, and I think our line is in a better spot than last year, but it could get really bad with injuries.

28 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I think Boones departure is a good thing right now, but I can see it being part of a catastrophe if the line gets the injury bug again. It seems like we wanted Easton to start at LG which is why's we tried to negotiate Boone's salary down to a backup level wage, but in the end, if we start losing interior lineman, we will wish he was here. Right now we have Isidora to backup the guard spots, then maybe Sirles. After that, maybe Remmers pushed inside and Hill takes a starting tackle spot. A big part of roster composition is being prepared for injury, and we saw how that bit us in the butt last year. Again, I'm good with Boone leaving, and I think our line is in a better spot than last year, but it could get really bad with injuries.

The major difference between last year and this year is the trade for Sam Bradford eight days before the opener, which unfortunately eliminated any cap flexibility we had to better address offensive line concerns during the 2016 season.

From what I can tell, we have roughly $8 million in cap space to play with going into the season, which is just slightly below league average.

Some people may be overrating Easton. Really, those of you that are high on him, why? He looked decent for part of a preseason game against Seattle but we some him looking physically overmatched against NFL players for several games before that. He consistently got pushed back last year. I am very concerned about Easton's ability to hold up against any of the more powerful DTs. 

I do get that he might not olé as often and that is nice. At least he marginally slows a bull rusher down as he is pushed backwards. Are people happy to see him just because we was so many plays last year where an offensive linemen let a rusher come free? 

37 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Some people may be overrating Easton. Really, those of you that are high on him, why? He looked decent for part of a preseason game against Seattle but we some him looking physically overmatched against NFL players for several games before that. He consistently got pushed back last year. I am very concerned about Easton's ability to hold up against any of the more powerful DTs. 

I do get that he might not olé as often and that is nice. At least he marginally slows a bull rusher down as he is pushed backwards. Are people happy to see him just because we was so many plays last year where an offensive linemen let a rusher come free? 

well at this point, young and unknown is better than what we had (Boone, Fusco, etc). I don't particularly have high hopes for Easton, but at least we are trying to see what a young guy can do .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

well at this point, young and unknown is better than what we had (Boone, Fusco, etc). I don't particularly have high hopes for Easton, but at least we are trying to see what a young guy can do .

I am very much with you on this point. Would rather go with young an unknown in hopes they are decent or improve than keep trotting known failures that are not improving out there. I do wish that there a backup plan to plug in in case one of the young unknowns fails miserably. I assume the team is looking at all the options from cutdown day. Other than that, I suppose they roll with Sirles if Easton is getting destroyed.

I am honestly more concerned about Berger than I am Elfein and Easton.  Berger is going to be stuck 1on1 more often against teams best interior pass rusher.  The advantages he had playing the center position are gone.  You don't hear many success stories from 35 year old centers switching to right guard late in their career.

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

If anything, I think people have actually underrated Easton.  I've liked what I've seen from him ever since we traded for him.

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't know if Easton will be a long term starter for us, but I do think he will be better than Boone was.

Ideally I would like to get two solid OG's like Quenton Nelson and Billy Price as our starting OG's Ling term and see Easton taking over Berger's role as the primary backup for all 3 interior OL spots who can also start.  I don't think I would be upset if Easton is a long term starter though.