The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

37 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The big loss from last year's OL was Joe Berger at RG

Yeah, Berger was a big loss. So was Nick Easton. Pat Elflein was also approaching average last year and has taken a big step back this year. One can argue that Elflein's step back is scheme and coaching but I believe the biggest reason for the step back is physical owing to his injury rehabilitation.

I agree that scheme/gameplan are to some extent a factor but to me the biggest part of it is the quality of the interior offensive line. I heartily reject an assertion that the talent level is no worse than last year. In fact, when looking at the interior of the line it is a lot worse at every position. In at least one of those three cases (RG) it is a lot worse. At LG, Compton has been able to effectively do the things they have asked him to do but he is a lot more limited than Easton to the point they don't even ask him to do some of the things they were asking of Easton. When I write that I am thinking, in particular, of the screen game. Easton was pretty good at that. Having a good screen line helped Shurmur deal with the situation a lot. I do not believe the team has that luxury this year. Sure, you can call that gameplan but I am vehemently against trying to force a gameplan that players cannot execute onto a team. I seriously do not believe Compton is anywhere near Easton at this skill and the coaches are right to not ask Compton to do what Easton was good at last year.

And, there is the Keenum factor. The guy can't throw nearly as well as Cousins but the guy was a gamer. It was fun watching the Broncos beat the Steelers yesterday. Cousins cannot do for the offensive line things that Keenum is able to do. Again, the gameplan should not ask Cousins to do those things either.

48 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Where does Nick Easton stand with his free agency status? Does he still earn an accrued season while on injured reserve?

He does not earn an accrued season while on IR based on what I found - the article is from five years ago though. 

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Where does Nick Easton stand with his free agency status? Does he still earn an accrued season while on injured reserve?

Yes.

Accrued Seasons Calculation:

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018/2/28/17045090/nfl-free-agency-rules-unrestricted-free-agent-restricted-exclusive-rights

He is still scheduled to be a free agent, regardless of his status as being on IR.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring him back on a 1-year deal though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree. Worst case he's backing up G and C. I'd like to get more powerful guards though, as that should help out Elflein.

While they certainly need a little more power, I think they definitely need a little more athleticism out of the guard position on both sides to help in the screen game.  It doesn't appear that either Compton or Remmers offer the same athleticism as even Easton does...and he clearly has more power than they do...and a little more nastiness.    

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

What's appealing about a player who's been a healthy scratch?

The potential said player offers, he was a 2nd round pick for a reason. I believe HC Lynn has come out and said he doesn't want to mess with the continuity of the line right now, which makes sense.

17 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

The potential said player offers, he was a 2nd round pick for a reason. I believe HC Lynn has come out and said he doesn't want to mess with the continuity of the line right now, which makes sense.

He's basically our own version of Treadwell. Does Treadwell have potential still or is he pretty much known. I'd hate to invest in a player simply because a team spent an early pick on him.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He's basically our own version of Treadwell. Does Treadwell have potential still or is he pretty much known. I'd hate to invest in a player simply because a team spent an early pick on him.

You do know he tore his ACL in preseason his rookie year right? The little I've read it sounded like he was on track to start and then got injured. Don't think the Treadwell comparison is remotely close.