The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I know you say that Elflein wasn't good, but Bradbury was flat out awful yesterday, as far as I am concerned.  I'm sure someone, namely @Krauser, will tell me differently once he watches the tape (as I know he missed the game yesterday), but Bradbury looked terrible...and of course, Reiff was understandably bad as well.  

Bradbury was awful, but I also think a lot of that stems from a lack of help next to him. 

Why do the Patriots seem to have a good (great?) offensive line every year? Is their talent really elite or does their game planning also help make them look good? A quick release from Brady in tandem with good scheme? Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps. Perhaps. We could learn something. 

The Patriots always seem to be trading or rotating out offensive linemen yet they persist with a strong offense year in and year out.

i think the difference is getting the most out of your players. Understanding your own weaknesses better than your opponents and then scheming out of it. That’s what great coaches do. Take what they have and make the most of it.

3 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Why do the Patriots seem to have a good (great?) offensive line every year? Is their talent really elite or does their game planning also help make them look good? A quick release from Brady in tandem with good scheme? Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps. Perhaps. We could learn something. 

The Patriots always seem to be trading or rotating out offensive linemen yet they persist with a strong offense year in and year out.

i think the difference is getting the most out of your players. Understanding your own weaknesses better than your opponents and then scheming out of it. That’s what great coaches do. Take what they have and make the most of it.

Having basically a HOF-level offensive line coach helps.  The years in between after he retired the first time (2014-15), they were a shadow offensively of what they were.  They were still certainly good enough to win, but they weren't nearly as good.    

Edited by swede700

Just now, JDBrocks said:

nah, they were missing Hicks and Smith yesterday. That's not an acceptable excuse to me.

Still have Mack, Goldman, Floyd, Trevathen, Kwitkowski looked like Urlacher incarnate yesterday. They're still damn good without them. RRH could probably start on a few teams in this league.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

I think the Vikings made Kwitkoski look like Urlacher yesterday, rather than the other way around. They stunk on the interior.

Probably true but he looked pretty good in pass coverage. Regardless, that's the best front 7 we'll face all year until we see them again in week 17.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Bradbury sucked yesterday. I think it was his worst game yet.

Sadly, it isn't just yesterday. He has been pretty terrible in every single game thins year. He has shown some nice flashes, but overall he has been pretty terrible. The Vikings need to see him improving. Bradbury didn't show yesterday what the team needs to see.

I would start Bradbury at least one more game to see if he shows signs of improvement before turning to Jones and seeing if he can do better.

As far as Elflein, it was always mystifying that the team was planning on him to be one of their starting linemen.

16 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would start Bradbury at least one more game to see if he shows signs of improvement before turning to Jones and seeing if he can do better.

As far as Elflein, it was always mystifying that the team was planning on him to be one of their starting linemen.

I'm hopeful for Bradbury, the technique is there but he could probably add a little size and strength.

If I'm making a change it would be Elf to the bench and Jones at LG.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Sadly, it isn't just yesterday. He has been pretty terrible in every single game thins year. He has shown some nice flashes, but overall he has been pretty terrible. The Vikings need to see him improving. Bradbury didn't show yesterday what the team needs to see.

You can't turn to Jones.  You have to ride Bradbury out this season.  There's a far greater chance you stunt his development by benching him.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You can't turn to Jones.  You have to ride Bradbury out this season.  There's a far greater chance you stunt his development by benching him.  

I don't know about that.

But, I do agree that it would be premature to sit pull Bradbury right now. That is what I meant when I said I would start Bradbury at least one more game. I believe that they'll see Bradbury improve.  Obviously, Bradbury didn't show the team what they needed to see yesterday but as I said I wouldn't bench him because of that.

Down the road, benching him certainly is an option at their disposal if he is not improving and especially if he is regressing. I wouldn't take that off the table at all.

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

There is always talk about the line needing to play together and gel. Well we basically have 3 new starters with a new coach after having an interim coach last year. 2 of the starters have already missed time.

Some continuity would help a bit I would think

Bunk. Indy had two rookies start and play well.