Jump to content
SemperFeist

The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Do not move O’Neill. 

As tempting as it may be I agree 100%. He's looking like a cornerstone at RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

O’Neill will never have Stringer’s power. He was huge.

O’Neill is more comparable to Todd Steussie. But Steussie played LT, like O’Neill probably should be when Reiff is released.

I still don't want to move a guy who's excelling at RT and put him on the other side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I still don't want to move a guy who's excelling at RT and put him on the other side. 

I’d of course prefer not to move him if the Vikes can find a legit LT next year. I’m just looking at the current roster (Udoh and Hill mostly as RT options) and where MN will likely be able to draft a Tackle (round 2 or later) it might be more difficult to find a day one LT than RT. I don’t think MN can afford to bring back Reiff in 2020, too many things working against the cap for a player who’s clearly on a decline. I wouldn’t even be surprised if the Vikes make the switch during the season if they feel pressured to jump start the passing game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LT > RT is a myth. If you have a stand out at either position, you just leave them there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d of course prefer not to move him if the Vikes can find a legit LT next year. I’m just looking at the current roster (Udoh and Hill mostly as RT options) and where MN will likely be able to draft a Tackle (round 2 or later) it might be more difficult to find a day one LT than RT. I don’t think MN can afford to bring back Reiff in 2020, too many things working against the cap for a player who’s clearly on a decline. I wouldn’t even be surprised if the Vikes make the switch during the season if they feel pressured to jump start the passing game.

At some point Washington has to make a different decision about Trent Williams.  He would be my LT target and let him hold down the job for 2 or 3 years, while looking for a younger version of him in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

LT > RT is a myth. If you have a stand out at either position, you just leave them there. 

Reiff was moved to the right side as soon as the Lions drafted his replacement. I think scheme may dictate what they do more than anything else and if they truly do value a certain type at LT vs RT. Just have to see but you may be right as plenty of elite edge rushers play on the right side of the offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

LT > RT is a myth. If you have a stand out at either position, you just leave them there. 

While I agree with the preference to leave him at RT, I have to disagree with it being a myth that LT is greater than RT in importance. The difference is often overstated, but it is real. It is even more real when your QB is Kirk Cousins; he can't sense pressure coming from the backside. When pressure comes from the right side the QB has a better chance of seeing it and at least bracing for impact if he can't step up in the pocket to elude the pressure. Backside pressure is far more likely to result in fumbles. Ergo, it is still more important to protect the blind side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

While I agree with the preference to leave him at RT, I have to disagree with it being a myth that LT is greater than RT in importance. The difference is often overstated, but it is real. It is even more real when your QB is Kirk Cousins; he can't sense pressure coming from the backside. When pressure comes from the right side the QB has a better chance of seeing it and at least bracing for impact if he can't step up in the pocket to elude the pressure. Backside pressure is far more likely to result in fumbles. Ergo, it is still more important to protect the blind side.

Just draft a left-handed QB.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Just draft a left-handed QB.  ;)

Trade up for Tua!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 11:35 AM, SemperFeist said:

LT > RT is a myth. If you have a stand out at either position, you just leave them there. 

I can buy that to a degree, but do you think it's less of a myth when you have a QB like Kirk who has trouble sensing pressure? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Bradbury was the consensus top center in the draft. Why isn't it working?

It's been 4 games.  And 4 games against some pretty good DTs.

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's been 4 games.  

That's not the point at all. He's been terrible. Nothing about that post was about the long term. I asked why it wasn't working, since I don't get to watch much.... But thanks for answering!

Edited by PrplChilPill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×