The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I would still continue to build the o line through the draft.  1st round and 3rd round picks.  Elflein, Kline, and Reid will be gone soon.  Kline due to unfortunate circumstances. 

While Elflein is the weakest spot on the line, he didn’t play terrible last night did he?  I know. It is still sad that we have to hope that one of our guys plays a tad over terrible to be satisfied. 

Edited by Torchezim

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's fair to assess, but it's making significant progress in improvement, unlike the secondary. 

I think a more accurate assessment would be that our CB's and DT's are not playing to the level they were a few years ago, and therein lies the problem.  Compared to a few years ago, we are probably seeing :

Better/same play DE, LB, S, RB, QB, OL, WR, ST

Worse CB, DT

not sure about TE.  What do you think?

Edited by perrynoid
forgot wr

7 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

I think a more accurate assessment would be that our CB's and DT's are not playing to the level they were a few years ago, and therein lies the problem.  Compared to a few years ago, we are probably seeing :

Better/same play DE, LB, S, RB, QB, OL, WR, ST

Worse CB, DT

not sure about TE.  What do you think?

I think Safety play has been suspect. Smith doesn’t seem as impactful as he used to be. 

DE too. Griffen isn’t what he used to be from a couple years ago and there really isn’t an impactful third edge guy to come off the bench. Weatherly has been okay. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think Safety play has been suspect. Smith doesn’t seem as impactful as he used to be. 

DE too. Griffen isn’t what he used to be from a couple years ago and there really isn’t an impactful third edge guy to come off the bench. Weatherly has been okay. 

I’m pretty sure Griffin is like top 3 in pressures this year, behind Hunter. I also think that Odenigbo has been very good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I’m pretty sure Griffin is like top 3 in pressures this year, behind Hunter. I also think that Odenigbo has been very good.

Then why isn't the defense elite? 

Interestingly, I just checked the scoring stats....MN is fifth in points allowed per game. That's pretty darn good actually.....maybe they are closer to elite than I think.

11 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Then why isn't the defense elite? 

Interestingly, I just checked the scoring stats....MN is fifth in points allowed per game. That's pretty darn good actually.....maybe they are closer to elite than I think.

I think one reason is that we have had leads in most games, and thus are playing deep zones to prevent a big play.  While frustrating, it is mathematically a better way to win than gambling while having a lead.  I would like to see more takeaways though, how often have we seen the ball hit one of our DB's in the hands, only to fall harmlessly to the ground?

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

I would still continue to build the o line through the draft.  1st round and 3rd round picks.  Elflein, Kline, and Reid will be gone soon.  Kline due to unfortunate circumstances. 

While Elflein is the weakest spot on the line, he didn’t play terrible last night did he?  I know. It is still sad that we have to hope that one of our guys plays a tad over terrible to be satisfied. 

While I sympathize with your desire to build the OL, I don't think we can afford to spend that much draft capitol on the OL.  I was thinking more like round 1 LG, round 2 CB or S, round 3 3-tech or some variation of those positions.

5 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

While I sympathize with your desire to build the OL, I don't think we can afford to spend that much draft capitol on the OL.  I was thinking more like round 1 LG, round 2 CB or S, round 3 3-tech or some variation of those positions.

I would be shocked if they take OL in the 1st round unless a great player like Wirfs or Adams falls to them.  I could see 2nd round or 3rd round sure but 1st round to me goes CB or DT potentially.  But all depends on the best player there at one of those three positions.  

He fits and is a good talent, might be a sleeper and could get maybe 2nd or 3rd round.  Having a great season and is athletic and tough.  And Brown is one of the best guards in the nation but not sure he is a fit for a zone system because he is not a great athletic guard more of a mauler.

*Jonah Jackson Ohio State GS
*Deonte Brown Alabama RS JR

These two guys I love because they can play OT or OG so that would be ideal for the Vikings.  I would love Leatherwood 2nd round but he could go late 1st, Kraemer could be around 2nd round as well.  Trey Smith can do both but health wise and who he plays not sure he is a fit, Jackson I would like a lot at guard, not as big of a fan of him as a OT.

*Alex Leatherwood Alabama JR
*Trey Smith Tennessee JR
*Alaric Jackson Iowa RS JR
*Tommy Kraemer Notre Dame RS JR

All these guys could go late 2nd to 4th round potentially, and John Simpson I feel is the best fit arguably of any guard in the nation for a zone blocking scheme.  Awesome in space and is a great pulling guard, does it all the time.

*John Simpson Clemson
*Ben Bredeson Michigan
*Shane Lemieux Oregon RS
*Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS
*Marcus Keyes Ok State