The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Obviously it's still early and they could easily regress again but it is promising.  Even more encouraging is that they have to quality rookies to develop that will have a chance to improve it even more

That's what I'm hoping for.  I'm hoping that they can have a young line that grows together, ala how the Cowboys did it (but unfortunately have wasted it).

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Should he have taken the inside guy, and let the outside guy run free? I'm not really sure what he should do there. That said, CLUTCH play by the QB.

He was a little slow on the backpedal, but he did enough to slow the guy down even if it wasn't a great block.  However, with the cutting of Brandel, I'm sure that means that we'll see Darrisaw pretty soon.

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Should he have taken the inside guy, and let the outside guy run free? I'm not really sure what he should do there. That said, CLUTCH play by the QB.

one guy or the other, but he can't let one guy go and not block the other. The end and the blitzer were both in the QB's lap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

As I've iterated often (and probably so much so that people are irritated at hearing it), it's relative.  It's a good O-Line as compared to the current state of offensive line play in the NFL overall.  However, offensive line play in the current NFL is terrible overall. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  This offensive line couldn't have played in the league 25 or 40 years ago.  They are nowhere near the best lines the Vikings have ever had.  Yet, given what goes as oline play currently, they are pretty good.  The way the NFL and colleges have de-emphasized the importance of line play has been the number one reason why I consider "modern" football to be boring.

27 minutes ago, vikings209 said:

With chemistry being a huge part in oline play do we start Darrisaw when he's healthy or ride with the current line as long as they keep performing decently

I think Darrisaw will be a backup tackle I don't see them immediately plugging him in at left tackle when he shows he can put full practices together.

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Nice stuff!

Udoh is legit. Bradbury has also improved. Cleveland, Udoh, and ONeil are all solid. Bradbury might not be the best, but improved guard play has helped. Hill is serviceable, but we obviously hope that Darrisaw completes what is a burgeoning, young, talented offensive line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

I think Darrisaw will be a backup tackle I don't see them immediately plugging him in at left tackle when he shows he can put full practices together.

I don't think they'd immediately plug him in either, since he had no training camp...but, if he can start team drills this week, I'm hoping that he might be able to take over the spot after the bye.  

• Like 1