The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

The longer this thread gets, the clearer it is that 1 OG and 1 OT should be added, to replace Berger and to fill RT if Remmers moves inside to replace Easton or Berger, respectively.

If Reif, Easton, Elflein, Rookie OG, Remmers are the starters, the rookie OT would provide depth. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

The longer this thread gets, the clearer it is that 1 OG and 1 OT should be added, to replace Berger and to fill RT if Remmers moves inside to replace Easton or Berger, respectively.

If Reif, Easton, Elflein, Rookie OG, Remmers are the starters, the rookie OT would provide depth. 

Remmers replaces Berger. Therefore only one starter is needed either through draft or FA if a Tackle is added. Hill and Isidora are likely fine as backups. Throw in Sirles too. 

8 hours ago, Purplexing said:

The pick six on CK was due to a DL hitting his arm(pit) as he threw.  Brady's fumble on the strip sack was due to an OL breakdown / intense pass rush by the Iggles.  What other evidence of superior play by the Iggles DL / DBs is needed to lay the blame on the relatively subpar OLs of Minnesota & New England?   Scouts are now listing OL as the key weakness of the Vikings O, behind, of course, no QB signed for 2018 other than KS.

I’ve rewatched my DVR copy of the Eagles game 3 times now.  You are absolutely fooling yourself if you still think that Keenum’s pick 6 was from Chris Long hitting his arm pit.  It is clear as day and you need to go rewatch the game if you don’t believe me.  Keenum wasn’t trying to throw the ball away.  Keenum recognized the pressure and made a bad decision.  He was clearly trying to force the ball to Adam Theilen who was in double coverage with on guy high (Rodney McLeod) and one guy low (Patrick Robinson).  That ball was going to be intercepted whether Long had touched him or not.

The play where Keenum has the strip sack wasn’t on the OL either.  That sack was Shurmur and Keenum’s fault too.  The Eagles were playing their DE’s wide the whole game and Shurmur decided to get cute with the play calling.  David Morgan had absolutely no chance of being able to make his block on that play.  Shurmur called a bad play, but a good QB would’ve been able to read the defense, know what his protection was, and know the capabilities of his teammates.  Keenum didn’t recognize that he needed to either change the protection or audible to a different play and that’s why that sack fumble was his fault.  The offensive line was not supposed to block Derek Barnett on that play which is why he got to Keenum untouched.

I agree that we need to address the offensive line, but we can’t let Diggs go either.  We need to find reasonably priced upgrades on the OL and I agree the two OL need to be added.  OL has been our top two needs all season though.  It’s not like that change happened right after the playoffs or something.

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Remmers replaces Berger. Therefore only one starter is needed either through draft or FA if a Tackle is added. Hill and Isidora are likely fine as backups. Throw in Sirles too. 

I want to find two starters.  I want Easton and Hill as our primary backups.  Then we can either add 1 OG and 1 OT or 2 OGs depending  on where Remmer’s get put.  I’m sure that Remmers playing OT or OG will be determined during the draft depending on which prospects fall to our picks.  Sirles is garbage and I hope that he doesn’t make the roster next year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Are you sure Easton wouldn't be replaced if talent were available in FA or the draft?

Remmers replaces Berger if Sparano decides to move him to G.  I'm leaving the possibility open that he remains at RT and competes with a rookie OT.   Thena G is needed to replace Berger.

I agree with your points on depth; Isadora, Sirles, Hill.

We could go through several more permutations of changes in the OL.  But, count me out... 

32 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I’ve rewatched my DVR copy of the Eagles game 3 times now.  You are absolutely fooling yourself if you still think that Keenum’s pick 6 was from Chris Long hitting his arm pit.  It is clear as day and you need to go rewatch the game if you don’t believe me. 

I saw a comedic youtube vid named something like 'Bad UK Announcers - Vikings / Eagles'.  The announcer gave several comments on it, with multiple repeats of the clip.  I didn't say anything about throwing it away.   The only strip sack I mentioned was Brady's fumble near the end of the SB.  Both turnovers were due to a porous OL much more than poor QB performance.    Focus on the topic; a good OL that needs improvement to improve the other aspects of the offense; e.g. QB performance

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

I saw a comedic youtube vid named something like 'Bad UK Announcers - Vikings / Eagles'.  The announcer gave several comments on it, with multiple repeats of the clip.  I didn't say anything about throwing it away.   The only strip sack I mentioned was Brady's fumble near the end of the SB.  Both turnovers were due to a porous OL much more than poor QB performance.    Focus on the topic; a good OL that needs improvement to improve the other aspects of the offense; e.g. QB performance

You’re cherry picking my post, but I think you got the point.  Both of the plays that I referenced happened because of the QB making bad decisions and was not the offensive lines fault.

On Brady’s fumble it was the offensive lines fault.

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Are you sure Easton wouldn't be replaced if talent were available in FA or the draft?

Remmers replaces Berger if Sparano decides to move him to G.  I'm leaving the possibility open that he remains at RT and competes with a rookie OT.   Thena G is needed to replace Berger.

I agree with your points on depth; Isadora, Sirles, Hill.

We could go through several more permutations of changes in the OL.  But, count me out... 

I don't see why Easton would need to be replaced. He plays arguably the least valuable OL position and he wasn't bad. I'd let him develop another year as a starting OG and reasses his ability when he is a UFA in 2019.

RG could use some attention and you generally want a better RG than LG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kparty15 said:

You’re cherry picking my post, but I think you got the point.  Both of the plays that I referenced happened because of the QB making bad decisions and was not the offensive lines fault.

On Brady’s fumble it was the offensive lines fault.

It has a common factor of a great Iggles DL beating two porous OLs.  I don't care to discuss QBs in an OL thread.  Some analyses I read / viewed pointed to the Iggles OL and DL doing better jobs than their opponents in both games.  Others questioned the QBs decisions.  I doubt Brady's decision making was poor.  I think the same of CK on the pick six INT.  The OL failed and allowed pressure, so the two QBs didn't have room to step into their throw or hold the ball, leading to a pick six and strip sack.  I won't play message board tennis, volleying this point endlessly with someone set on only criticizing a QB when more factors were involved in the turnovers.

• Like 1

The Vikings need 2 starting guards, preferably. I don’t know why people are so eager to move Remmers to guard. Outside of the couple of games he played there at the end of the year he’s never played guard, and he didn’t exactly look good at guard. He’s a tackle. Let’s keep him at his natural, and comfortable, position while adding guards who are playing in their comfortable and natural position. Continuity is key for offensive line success, why make unnecessary changes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings need 2 starting guards, preferably. I don’t know why people are so eager to move Remmers to guard. Outside of the couple of games he played there at the end of the year he’s never played guard, and he didn’t exactly look good at guard. He’s a tackle. Let’s keep him at his natural, and comfortable, position while adding guards who are playing in their comfortable and natural position. Continuity is key for offensive line success, why make unnecessary changes. 

Only reason why I'd move Remmers inside is if we get really good value on a Tackle in the draft.

once the 2019 free agents are extended long term, we may not be able to afford Remmers.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If we’re in better position to take one guard and one tackle that would be better than a guard/guard combo, i would at least be inclined to work a Remmers at guard. 

Edited by rpmwr19
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...