The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

O'Neill is very mobile.  Moving from 297 to 315 over a 2-year period, in an intensive weight training programme, will have most of that added weight be muscle weight.  Given that, he shouldn't lose much mobility.  His strength is quickness, rather than straightaway running speed (although he's also very good at that for a 300 pounder.  He'll still have that quick start - reaction quickness.  So, I expect that the added muscle will give him added stability to fend off rushers, and give him more power to lead block and push defenders out of the way, once he's got his momentum moving forward.  That added weight and stability will help him block adequately, which will help dramatically in allowing our runners to break out, and also in protecting our QBs.  I think O'Neill will develop into an outstanding run blocker, and a more than adequate pass protector.  2 things The Vikes need desperately.

• Like 1

We knew from Wednesday that TEs coach Clancy Barone and assistant offensive line coach Andrew Janocko were holding down the fort in Sparano's place, but apparently Todd Downing, who joined the Vikings as an analyst, has slid to tight ends. The Eden Prairie, Minnesota native was the offensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders last year.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/ContentGallery/Vikings-training-camp-Kirk-Cousins-John-DeFilippo-talk-120112747#935581_4

With center Pat Elflein on the PUP list and not practicing, Nick Easton manned the center spot with the first team. From left to right, the first-team offensive line mainly consisted of Riley Reiff, Tom Compton, Easton, Mike Remmers and Rashod Hill.

The second-team offense consisted of Aviante Collins, Danny Isidora, Josh Andrews, Cornelius Edison and Brian O’Neill, who also saw a few reps with the first team at right tackle.

The third-team offensive line was Dieugot Joseph, Cedrick Lang, J.P. Quinn, Colby Gossett and Storm Norton, who also saw second-team reps when O’Neill moved up to the top line.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-defensive-backs-highlight-1st-full-team-practice?sf194476137=1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

With center Pat Elflein on the PUP list and not practicing, Nick Easton manned the center spot with the first team. From left to right, the first-team offensive line mainly consisted of Riley Reiff, Tom Compton, Easton, Mike Remmers and Rashod Hill.

The second-team offense consisted of Aviante Collins, Danny Isidora, Josh Andrews, Cornelius Edison and Brian O’Neill, who also saw a few reps with the first team at right tackle.

The third-team offensive line was Dieugot Joseph, Cedrick Lang, J.P. Quinn, Colby Gossett and Storm Norton, who also saw second-team reps when O’Neill moved up to the top line.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-defensive-backs-highlight-1st-full-team-practice?sf194476137=1

A couple bloggers brought up Collins as second-string LT as noteworthy.

I would add though, that Rashod Hill is likely the true backup there, and maybe even Remmers after that.

On 7/27/2018 at 6:45 PM, vike daddy said:

Matt Kalil had a hard time keeping his weight up too, i remember.

Kalil blamed his lack of adding weight on not being able to get up to go the refrigerator because of his injury...or some surgery he was rehabbing.  But, now he's certainly feeling the best he has in 2 years.  ¬¬ 

On 5/1/2018 at 3:47 PM, Cearbhall said:

The team has addressed offensive line but they have not effectively addressed it to solve the problem.

The '18 offensive line is more likely to be worse than the '17 offensive line than show improvement IMO. There is a variety of reasons for that. One of them is the transition from Case Keenum to Kirk Cousins. Cousins hasn't been real good throughout his career with bailing out his offensive line. Another reason is the loss of Berger. Another is the injuries that Elflein and Easton are coming back from.

On 5/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, swede700 said:

It will have been 8 months since they suffered their injuries...and offensive linemen don't do any significant contact until training camp anyway, so I'm not sure why the concern.

So now that Easton's playing center in minicamp has turned into Easton starting training camp at center do you have a better idea why I had concern?

The Vikings under Zimmer have been tight lipped about injuries and owing to this have a record of players coming back as soon as others hope. Shariff Floyd, Mike Harris, etc... Going back a bit further John Sullivan and Phil Loadholt the team was also overly optimistic about their ability to return and be effective. Could say the same about Kalil; while he played the games he was not effective.

I remain concerned about the line and the injuries from last year are still a part of it. At this point, even if Elflein starts practicing tomorrow his injury has had a negative impact on the '18 offensive line. They need to be practicing together and building cohesion. 

• Like 1

I'm certainly a little more concerned now than I was then, considering it was still May and this is now training camp.  The fact that Elflein isn't playing center right now causes me more concern than him not playing center in May.  The bigger concern even than that is the death of Tony.  It comforts me a little that Barone is there to help pick up the pieces, but it's still going to be concerning, as that was completely unanticipated.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Pat Elflein is continuing to rehab from an injury and current is on the Physically Unable to Perform List, and Nick Easton – who has been filling in for Elflein throughout camp – did not participate in Saturday’s practice. Mike Remmers also has missed a couple of practices after suffering an injury earlier this week. Cornelius Edison stepped in at center with the first-team, and Cousins said that while it’s not ideal, it’s important to be able to adapt.

Cousins:  “Yeah, it’s tough. You know, Pat will be back, but it’s good practice for when, inevitably, something happens during the season and we have to shuffle people around. I guess it’s getting us prepared for that.”

https://www.vikings.com/news/cousins-diggs-offer-takes-after-vikings-night-practice?sf194948956=1