The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

8 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Just a picture perfect job by Foster on that play. Not over-pursuing and dictating the terms of the engagement with Boone. Teaching tape right there.

Yes, agreed.  Too few people give SF's front 7 credit for playing good D, and only blame Minnesota's O (not that the OL doesn't deserve criticism).

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

Yes, agreed.  Too few people give SF's front 7 credit for playing good D, and only blame Minnesota's O (not that the OL doesn't deserve criticism).

The criticism is certainly warranted given what we've seen from the group the past two years and if this is how they play against good front sevens, we're screwed this season. The new faces added in FA have been dissapointing. Hopefully Reiff can get healthy and Remmers can improve.

An OL rebuild is inevitable but it's going to take time. Hopefully Elflein sticks as a building block up front.

potentially need two new Guards and one new Tackle going forward. I'd love to see a surprise emerge like Easton, Isidora or Beavers but I'm not holding my breath. Will the coaching staff even give these players a chance?

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The criticism is certainly warranted given what we've seen from the group the past two years and if this is how they play against good front sevens, we're screwed this season. The new faces added in FA have been dissapointing. Hopefully Reiff can get healthy and Remmers can improve.

An OL rebuild is inevitable but it's going to take time. Hopefully Elflein sticks as a building block up front.

potentially need two new Guards and one new Tackle going forward. I'd love to see a surprise emerge like Easton, Isidora or Beavers but I'm not holding my breath. Will the coaching staff even give these players a chance?

The rebuild will definitely take time when our free agent hits are the caliber of Boone, Reiff, and Remmers.  Eventually management needs to land one of the big free agent linemen.  Enough with the runner up, they need to come away with the prom queen because they cannot draft linemen.  I'll keep my fingers crossed with Elfein but I don't see how it is promising when he is in a camp battle with a former undrafted free agent.  I feel like, as a fan base, our expectations are so low that we are to the point that average linemen play gets us excited.

If they cannot fix it then someone needs to go.  We are wasting away the talent we have at other positions due to the O-line killing us every year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Freakout said:

We are wasting away the talent we have at other positions due to the O-line killing us every year.

Correct, we are wasting a "top 5 defense" and likely our best receiving core (in the last 7 years?) with horrible OL play.

They get a pass on having average-below average QB play (for the time being, but that excuse has its time limits, though ours has been going for 7 years thus far)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Freakout said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed with Elfein but I don't see how it is promising when he is in a camp battle with a former undrafted free agent.

Yeah and the Patriots should give up on Garropolo because he can't even beat out a former 6th round pick. Look, I know it's different, but you should hopefully get my point. Draft position is meaningless once a player is on the team.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Correct, we are wasting a "top 5 defense" and likely our best receiving core (in the last 7 years?) with horrible OL play.

They get a pass on having average-below average QB play (for the time being, but that excuse has its time limits, though ours has been going for 7 years thus far)

Is that how we wasted the entire Minnesota career of our HOF running back with no QB, WRs, and a mediocre defense?

On 8/30/2017 at 4:20 PM, disaacs said:

Is that how we wasted the entire Minnesota career of our HOF running back with no QB, WRs, and a mediocre defense?

Correct me if I'm wrong, or not completely correct.  Spielman's ascension to GM followed the years of a good OL, and when they left/ retired, he was ineffective in OL talent replenishment  as GM.  I know there were/are a few exceptions, but many OL have been drafted or signed as FAs under Spieman as GM, and few have shown to be anything but mediocre to poor.

WRs talent slowly improved and seems to be a potential strength, as might be QB.  The defense is now strong in most spots, except for UT, partly due to injury. 

Wasting someone's career is a common event for most NFL teams.  Only 1 team wins a SB each year.  But, if you define 'wasting a star players' career as inability to reach a divisional championship game or reach the SB even though the team loses it, then your sentiment on wasting other players superior talent and effort is a valid criticism of the people responsible to adding supporting talent and coaching it to perform effectively.

Aside from Spielman, several HCs, DCs, OCs,  and assistant coaches should also shoulder some blame; e.g. the inventor of the Wet Coat Offense / KAO.

I fee like it's less about wasting "X" players career, but not effectively capitalizing on upward trends in the team, which has at times revolved around special players being on the team. The easy "for instance" is this current team because we potentially have a top defense in the league. This can't be expected to last forever, and the low hanging fruit as far as team weakness revolves around the O line. It's easy to connect that their failures could nullify having such a good defense.

A lot of offensive lineman being traded right now and it's something this team should probably jump on even if it's just to improve the depth behind our "starters"

Cam Erving (granted not great)
Ty Sambrailo
Laken Tomlinson

All traded recently.