The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

34 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

What are some options for filling the OL coach position? Would be another way to provide some hopefully positive impact. 

Depends upon which HCs around the league get fired.  Of guys currently employed, I imagine if McCarthy gets fired, they might look into snatching Campen from GB (although I imagine that'd be a long shot) and possibly TB's OL coach, George Warhop, who worked for the Cowboys when Zimmer was there.  Otherwise, if DeFilippo stays, they might look into snatching Eugene Chung from the Eagles' staff, as he's currently the assistant OL coach, and might be looking for a promotion. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

So, keep the same team, and hope they draft well? How's that worked in the OL since speilman got here? Has he drafted one OL that started and was good for more than a year or two? 

Even aggressive free agency and drafting isn't a guarantee of success along the offensive line. The Lions have two first round picks on the offensive line, a third round pick, a highly coveted free agent at right tackle, and spent another first and third round draft pick on guards since 2013 that are no longer on the team... this is the team that gave up 17 combined sacks to the Vikings and Bears in two games.

Drafting well is really the only sustainable way to fix the offensive line - high priced free agents generally haven't worked out for the respective teams that they've gone to (and this year's free agent crop doesn't inspire much anyway).  The Vikings clearly need to invest higher draft capitol in the position group, you won't get an argument from me there, but yes - keeping the players we have and drafting offensive lineman is the best course of action.

LT - Reiff
LG
C - Elflein
RG
RT - O'Neill

Is a solid 3/5.  I still believe in Elflein, and believe his level of play increases back to at least where he was a rookie with a healthy offseason, AND, two new buddies next to him. Now, I'm just beginning my dive into guard prospects so I don't have a ton of opinions of specific players yet,

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

So, keep the same team, and hope they draft well? How's that worked in the OL since speilman got here? Has he drafted one OL that started and was good for more than a year or two? 

I don't get you sometimes....

We spend a lot of money on OL, and you criticize the team because it doesn't ever draft anyone early. Now you're saying we shouldn't depend on the draft to improve our OL?

On 11/23/2018 at 7:10 PM, PrplChilPill said:

You have to retain the faith that he'll hit on some, because that's the only option, as far as I'm concerned.  We often said the same thing about the QB position, and I think, if the injury to Teddy hadn't occurred, he would have hit on that one.  You can't call it a complete failure because you can't predict injuries.  He's also gotten gradually better at identifying defensive back prospects after the bad picks on Chris Cook, Tyrell Johnson, and Asher Allen (I hold him partially responsible for those picks, since he was part of the Triangle).  

FWIW, he did draft John Sullivan and Phil Loadholt, so that's something.  Yes, he has spectacularly failed at drafting OL (especially with as many bullets as he's fired at the OG position), but I have to hope that he's getting better at it, as O'Neill and Elflein look promising.  If they can get a few more like them, I think they'll be okay.  

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If I’m Spielman, I’m offering a 3rd round pick to the Chargers for Forest Lamp. I’d even give up a 2nd if my arm was twisted. 

Lamp was a healthy scratch against Arizona, and has been for weeks. 

Definitely worth a shot!

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

If Remmers is starting next year, I will be disappointed. And, agreed, they need to keep drafting. That reply was to the idea that trading from the defense would be bad, as if this approach has worked. It hasn't.  Not that they shouldn't draft OL earlier. Because clearly they should.

I think FA dollars will be focused on defense and draft capital on the OL. There just isn't any worthy OL in free agency in 2019 barring cap cuts.

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If I’m Spielman, I’m offering a 3rd round pick to the Chargers for Forest Lamp. I’d even give up a 2nd if my arm was twisted. 

Lamp was a healthy scratch against Arizona, and has been for weeks. 

Too bad they can't do that this year. It is certainly worth considering as a method to improve line the line next year. Of course, all options are worth considering.

The options for this year are pretty thin. The OC is going to have to learn to call plays that work with the limitations the offensive line presents. I would suggest that a run up the middle against a defensive front lined up to stop a run up the middle isn't something the team will have success with given their current offensive linemen. He needs to be clear with Cousins that he should change the play in those situations.

I still think that our poor run game, and to some extent the poor pass blocking is scheme/gameplan related, moreso than overall talent of the players. 

While the talent level isn’t great, it’s no worse than what the team had last year. And they were able to produce a legit run game last year, and pass protect a bit better. The loss of Sparano has been a huge hurdle to try and overcome. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I still think that our poor run game, and to some extent the poor pass blocking is scheme/gameplan related, moreso than overall talent of the players. 

While the talent level isn’t great, it’s no worse than what the team had last year. And they were able to produce a legit run game last year, and pass protect a bit better. The loss of Sparano has been a huge hurdle to try and overcome. 

The big loss from last year's OL was Joe Berger at RG but I can't imagine that going from Remmers to Berger would have completely derailed the run game.

Losing Sparano definitely has played a role but I also think it's a system/personality thing, DeFilippo hasn't shown a commitment to the run game.

Or perhaps they are running Cook too much. Outside of his big run in Detroit, one could argue that Murray has been more effective between the tackles. 

• Like 1