The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

He's basically our own version of Treadwell. Does Treadwell have potential still or is he pretty much known. I'd hate to invest in a player simply because a team spent an early pick on him.

That’s a very poor comparison. 

Lamp missed all of his rookie season, all of his 2nd offseason, and all of his second training camp while recovering from a torn ACL. As a result, he’s been behind the learning curve, while at the same time, the current lineup along the Chargers o-line has been playing quite well. Lynn has chosen not to mess with what’s working. 

It is curious as to why he’s inactive, but missing that much time likely hasn’t allowed him much practice time, either. 

• Like 1

To determine how the Vikings ought to be building their offensive line it makes sense to check out how strong offensive lines around the league built. Earlier this year PFF ranked the league's offensive lines. The top five teams in those rankings were the Rams, Eagles, Packers, Broncos, and Saints. Below is a look at how they acquired their starting offensive linemen.

• Three of the teams acquired a starter via trade.
  • All five of the teams have starters that were acquired as free agents.
  • Two starters were acquired by their current team as undrafted free agents.  
  • Two were acquired via waivers
  • Thirteen starters were drafted by their current team
    • Five first-round picks
    • Two second-round picks
    • Two third-round picks
    • One fourth-round pick
    • Two fifth-round picks
    • One sixth-round pick
  • Seven of the ten guards were not drafted by their current team
  • Twelve of these players were acquired by their current team via means other than the draft
  • None of these teams have an offensive line made exclusively of guys they drafted
  • None of these teams invested a draft pick higher than a fifth-round pick into their center

This shows that starting offensive linemen can be found via trade, the draft, and/or free agency. While the draft is the primary source of talent, it does not appear that relying on the draft as the only means to build a strong offensive line should be the main strategy. The Vikings should not eliminate any possibility as a means of acquiring players to build their offensive line.

In light of this, I suggest the team invests heavy resources into determining what they need to do to increase the offensive line value they draw out of the draft. They should be looking to acquire a LT of the future in the draft. If the team is able to draft a guy that will eventually be able to start for them at guard that would be fantastic. Meanwhile, the Vikings ought to look to free agency to fill the immediate needs at LG and RG. The team should look to acquire a center later in the draft or free agency to compete with Pat Elflein.

Rams:
LT    Andrew Whitworth: Free agent
LG    Rodger Saffold: 2010 2nd-round pick
C    John Sullivan: Free agent
RG    Austin Blythe: Waiver claim
RT    Rod Havenstein: 2015 2nd-round pick

Eagles:
LT    Jason Peters: Trade (2009 1st-round pick, 4th-round pick and 2010 6th-round pick)
LG    Isaac Seumalo: 2016 3rd-round pick
C    Jason Kelce: 2012 6th-round pick
RG    Brandon Brooks: Free agent
RT    Lane Johnson: 2013 1st-round pick

Packers:
LT    David Bakhtiari: 2013 4th-round pick
LG    Lane Taylor: 2013 undrafted free agent
C    Corey Linsley: 2014 5th-round pick
RG    Byron Bell: Free agent
RT    Bryan Bulaga: 2010 1st-round pick    

Broncos:
LT    Garett Bolles: 3027 1st-round pick
LG    Billy Turner: Waiver claim
C    Connor McGovern: 2016 5th-round pick
RG    Elijah Wilkinson: 2017 undrafted free agent
RT    Jared Veldheer: Trade (6th-round pick)

Saints:
LT    Terron Armstead: 2013 3rd-round pick
LG    Andrus Peat: 2015 1st-round pick
C    Max Unger: Trade (Jimmy Graham, Saints also get 1st-round pick)
RG    Larry Warford: Free agent
RT    Ryan Ramczyk: 2017 1st-round pick

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

Good news, owing to a strong performance on limited opportunities against the Patriots the Vikings run blocking rank is no longer last in the league; it is up to 31st in the league according to Football Outsiders

Is this an indication that things are headed in the right direction and the team should stay the course?

Nope, not for all the tea in China! Go Fish!

It is nice to see them no longer be last in the league but the team needs to bring in new starters at all three interior offensive line positions before next year. True, there is hope that Elflein will rebound with a full offseason to prepare. By no means should "hope" make the team think they ought to be relying on him next year. Maybe he can beat out whoever they bring in to start. It would be great if he did. Then the team would have a little depth.

52 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd have no issue replacing any and all three interior Olineman. Frankly, I don't want any of them back in a starting capacity but I realize that much change likely isn't feasible in one offseason.

Elflein is the only one guaranteed to return.  Compton is on a 1-yr deal and they have an out on Remmers after this year, as his dead cap drops from $6.4M to $1.8M.  

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Elflein is the only one guaranteed to return.  Compton is on a 1-yr deal and they have an out on Remmers after this year, as his dead cap drops from $6.4M to $1.8M.  

Yes, Elflein is guaranteed to return, im just not convinced it will be as a starter. That could change depending upon what a new OC may want or what becomes available in the offseason at Center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

No way Remmers can come back with his salary. 

I'd give Elflein another year, but we need two new starting guards. Keep Easton as the backup IOL that can push for a starting spot.

Agreed on Remmers. Elflein will be on the team through the end of his rookie deal, in what capacity remains to be seen. I think he’ll have a bounce back year in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd give Elflein another year, but we need two new starting guards. Keep Easton as the backup IOL that can push for a starting spot.

Easton is a free agent. If the team is comfortable with where Easton is at neck-injurywise and signs him I would rather have them penciled in to start at center than Elflein. Granted, Elflein would have a chance to pass him and earn the job back during camp.

Compton would also be a good depth signing. The team would still need a couple starters as Compton should strictly be depth and not even being counted on to compete for a starting job.

If the team can sign both Compton and Easton along with two solid free agent guards they can count on to start things would look quite a bit better. That is signing four players that are not under contract with the team next year. Losing Remmers, Isidora, and Jones would be acceptable spots on the roster to use for the new guys. If the team can't find starting quality guards in free agency they absolutely should trade to acquire the right guys.

Then in the draft the team should be on the lookout for a potential LT of the future as well as guards that might be able to grow into starters after backing up for a couple years.

Mike Iupati

Bryan Witzmann

Max Garcia

Josh Walker

Jon Feliciano

Zac Kerin

Patrick Omameh

Jeremiah Sirles

Jonathan Cooper

Brian Schwenke

Marcus Martin

Dakota Dozier

Tom Compton

Zane Beadles

Mike Person

John Greco

Eric Kush

Kevin Pamphile

Shawn Lauvao

Quinton Spain

Chance Warmack

Matt Slauson

Ben Garland

Ramon Foster

Andy Levitre

James Carpenter

Rodger Saffold

Trey Hopkins

Arie Kouandjio

Andrew Donnal

John Miller

Oday Aboushi

Jeff Allen

Jamon Brown

AJ Cann

Jordan Devey

Earl Watford

Jermon Bushrod

Mark Glowinski

J.R. Sweezy

DJ Fluker

That’s the list of guards set to become unrestricted free agents. I don’t think you’re going to find much help from that front.

I agree with the above. The free agent class is garbage. Glowinski of Indy might be worth checking out but those FA OL end up costing so much. So I'd pass. Save that money for the defense.

Id bring back Easton to compete at LG and C and Compton to return as a backup G. Hill and Isidora will remain in the mix as depth. 

MN needs to address the need in the draft,  find two guards right away.

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

And apparently the draft is not good, so I guess they should not even bother? Just keep adding to the defense, and keep on not winning anything that matters. yes, I'm bitter about this season.

It always comes back to drafting for value (usually ends up leaning towards a defensive player) or drafting for need (OL). Is it worth reaching for an OL to fill the need? Maybe.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It always comes back to drafting for value (usually ends up leaning towards a defensive player) or drafting for need (OL). Is it worth reaching for an OL to fill the need? Maybe.

Given that you need five OL, you can't just never draft them high, just because other players have more value. You don't keep drafting quarterbacks and tight ends because of value. Or, you don't draft them high, and have a terrible OL. And no super bowl, heck, maybe no playoffs. Even with all that great value itn the defense.

An NFL Films Production--The Spielman/Zimmer Curse of the Offensive Line...(1) draft a left tackle in the first round.  He shows promise, but career derailed by injuries and lazy attitude.  (2) Cobble together an offensive line of low draft picks, journeymen, inexpensive free agents and rookies and have one, if not THE, worst line in football frustrating the teams ability to beat good defenses.  (3) Realizing that the team will only go as far as the offensive line will take them, begin preparing to retool in the off season only to discover that there's no good linemen in the draft or in free agency! (4) Zimmer retires after 2019 and Spielman goes on a permanent ice fishing vacation...which turns disastrous in June! 

Coming to Theatres Halloween!

Edited by Guest