The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

35 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I wasn't as focused as I wanted to be on the OL during the Saints game. Anyone have any quick thoughts on Mr. Udoh?

I was impressed. As much as you can be by a guy against 3rd string. 

I full expect him to make the 53 man roster. 

• Like 1

Dru Samia: “I’ve had some growing pains. The NFL is not an easy job but I feel I’m starting to get the hang of things a little bit. Just technical things. I’ve always played with an edge but having an edge isn’t enough in the NFL, so I’ve got be able to get my technique down. I was just sacrificing technique for aggressiveness, and that’s what I’ve been working on. I’m obviously hyped and amped up to come in and compete, and I think that got the best of me sometimes. But now I’m starting to settle in and things are going well.’’

Zimmer:  “Dru is a physical, tough guy. He is obviously still learning the areas that he has to get better, but I think he has done a nice job in camp. I think he’s got a good future, and I like his competitiveness and his toughness.’’

Stephen Weatherly:  “In his case, it’s better for a coach to say ‘slow down’ than ‘speed up.’ So it’s better that he came in more on the aggressive side than having to coach some aggression into him. He came in with a little bit too much of it but he’s been working on it every day.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/17/vikings-rookie-guard-dru-samia-learning-to-curb-some-aggressiveness-in-favor-of-technique/

Edited by vike daddy

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

How did Bradbury and Elflein do this past game?

They weren't great. Didn't get to watch the line play closely but from what I saw Elflein was really struggling. Bradbury seemed to block OK but had a bad snap. 

Poona Ford is one of the better young DTs in the league but still I'd hope to see the IOL do better.

• Like 1

Loved what I saw out of Samia. Seems to have a great first punch. Is aggressive and puts some nastiness into things. Quick to help his players up and protect his teammates as well. Hope the technical issues it sounds like he has can be worked through. 

Ill have to rewatch the game to specifically see Elflein and Bradbury. Even if they looked marginal, there seemed to be a few good pockets and adequate space for the run from the limited time the 1s were in. 

• Like 1

There has been a lot of talk this offseason and training camp about the improvement the Vikings offensive line must showcase in order for the running game to get on track. The running game has looked good in the first two preseason games, but that hasn’t been the only benefactor of the improved play up front. For the second consecutive week, the Vikings allowed zero quarterbacks sacks, an indication that the pass protection is on the improve every bit as much as the run blocking. Vikings quarterbacks attempted 35 passes and faced minimal pressure on Sunday night in Seattle just one week after they attempted 27 passes without taking a sack in New Orleans.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-takeaways-vikings-seahawks-preseason?sf217754177=1

4 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Loved what I saw out of Samia. Seems to have a great first punch. Is aggressive and puts some nastiness into things. Quick to help his players up and protect his teammates as well. Hope the technical issues it sounds like he has can be worked through. 

Ill have to rewatch the game to specifically see Elflein and Bradbury. Even if they looked marginal, there seemed to be a few good pockets and adequate space for the run from the limited time the 1s were in. 

I agree I like what I see out of Samia, but his temper might be an issue if he gets out of control consistently and DL get under his skin on purpose.  But hard to not like that type of toughness and passion.

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

There has been a lot of talk this offseason and training camp about the improvement the Vikings offensive line must showcase in order for the running game to get on track. The running game has looked good in the first two preseason games, but that hasn’t been the only benefactor of the improved play up front. For the second consecutive week, the Vikings allowed zero quarterbacks sacks, an indication that the pass protection is on the improve every bit as much as the run blocking. Vikings quarterbacks attempted 35 passes and faced minimal pressure on Sunday night in Seattle just one week after they attempted 27 passes without taking a sack in New Orleans.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-takeaways-vikings-seahawks-preseason?sf217754177=1

It is awesome, the OL has been such a non issue and have been super impressive.  It is crazy the change and how much better they are out there.  All just because of a system and coaching change, sure a few new players but not a ton and O'Neill is even out.  I will have to rewatch this game though for sure to look into it a little more.