The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

45 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

So good things from Dozier, Samia, Udoh and Norton. At least the depth should be better. I'd still pencil in Hill as the top backup Tackle with hopes that Udoh or Norton make it to the PS.

Could carrying 10 OL still be an option? Didn't include Jones and Isidora, who I would have assumed to be locks going into camp.  

Could a surprise move happen like cutting/trading Elflein or Kline?

I don't think if they hope Udoh and Norton make it to the PS that will happen.  Udoh would be long gone and Norton maybe but even he might not make it.  They have to keep Udoh no question on the roster I feel.  Getting rid of Elflein or Kline might happen if they are for sure not a fan of Elflein who did look bad against Seattle, Kline is getting paid a ton I think but have not noticed him much in preseason.  Not sure what they do with those two but cannot cut them both.  

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

That is a decent breakout but more importantly was the tape with that angle, one can see way more with that footage than on regular TV game screen where that view is rarely shown.

Need to point out Earl Mitchell is nothing great and most of the time Bradbury was up again Poona Ford, a guy I liked coming out of Texas but he was a UDFA and most of that was probably because he is 5-11.  So not exactly world beaters at the DT spots to go up against.  Was good play by Bradbury and in a few of those clips yeah Elflein did fall over and or was beat badly.  Elflein was decent as a rookie center I thought but last year was rough after the injury and was not the same, looks like guard is not going so well either but maybe in time.

PS is Collins injured or what, I do not remember seeing him out there at guard or tackle.

Analytics site Pro Football Focus is back to work evaluating performances throughout the preseason, and they’re not only focused on the first-team units.

PFF’s Michael Renner recently tabbed Vikings center Brett Jones as the highest-graded offensive lineman through two weeks of the preseason. Jones received a 91.5 overall grade, and Renner pointed out that over 44 pass-blocking snaps through two games, Jones hasn’t allowed a pressure on the quarterback. Meanwhile, Jones was highlighted as Minnesota’s “player to watch” this Saturday against Arizona. According to PFF, he also performed well on run-blocking snaps, warranting a 90.5 overall grade. PFF wrote that Jones has “done everything right to solidify his spot as the team’s primary backup” behind starting center Garrett Bradbury.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-preseason-power-rankings-place-vikings-13th-in-the-nfl

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on week 1’s line? Thought it looked pretty good with a couple of leaks. Elflein looked abused at times. Seems to have a really difficult time with reach blocks. Speaks to the lack of athleticism people here have pointed to. Klein surprised me to the upside. Bradbury, O’Neill, Reiff looked fine as well. Hard to really grade it out given only 10 pass attempts, but it looked promising. 

Would love to to hear opinions from those more knowledgeable than I. SKOL!

7 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Thoughts on week 1’s line? Thought it looked pretty good with a couple of leaks. Elflein looked abused at times. Seems to have a really difficult time with reach blocks. Speaks to the lack of athleticism people here have pointed to. Klein surprised me to the upside. Bradbury, O’Neill, Reiff looked fine as well. Hard to really grade it out given only 10 pass attempts, but it looked promising. 

Would love to to hear opinions from those more knowledgeable than I. SKOL!

Elf definitely appeared to be the weak link. Grady Jarrett is pretty damn good in his own right though.

There was one play I recall where Elf got some undeserved heat and that was when Mattison didn't cut up and inside of Elf's block. Spielman made mention of it on the broadcast.

Think Reiff/Elf got beat on the Cousins fumble and overturned fumble. Glad to see *O'Neill out there and for the most part the other OL went largely unnoticed which is a good thing. 

Edited by VikeManDan
*O'Neil to O'Neill
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Bradbury and Cousins also had one bad exchange. That can't be happening.

Isn’t Bradbury a heavy sweater? Hopefully it’s just a week one thing and nothing more.

its hard to assess pass protection given that the Vikes only threw ten balls while playing with a comfortable lead. Though it seems Cousins struggled with pressure on two drop backs that nearly resulted in multiple fumbles. His clock is off.

Run blocking looked great.

Edited by vikingsrule