The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

55 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Can't teach that kind of stuff. Guys have it, or they don't. Both Isidora and Elflein have shown the willingness to look for work.

It is nice to see. The number of times I saw offensive linemen standing there doing nothing last year was sickening 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Can't teach that kind of stuff. Guys have it, or they don't. Both Isidora and Elflein have shown the willingness to look for work.

Even though I am not sold on Easton, he also showed the willingness to block till the whistle last year.  Which was a welcome change compared to the other guys that would block their initial assignment and then stand around and watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Might have tried but we are middle of the pack in terms of waiver priority.

Even so, with The Vikes' 1st pick at 13 or 14, and teams looking  I would have guessed they could have picked up a back-up guard or tackle to help upgrade the OL depth.  It seems now, that decent O linemen are at a premium.  Is that because almost all colleges don't use pro sets, anymore?

4 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Even so, with The Vikes' 1st pick at 13 or 14, and teams looking  I would have guessed they could have picked up a back-up guard or tackle to help upgrade the OL depth.  It seems now, that decent O linemen are at a premium.  Is that because almost all colleges don't use pro sets, anymore?

If I'm reading it correctly, I don't think you're understanding how waivers work. This isn't like a draft, where the highest-priority gets to pick someone followed by the second, third, etc. Any team can put a claim on any player. If multiple teams put in a claim, then the team who gets him is the one with the highest waiver priority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It will all come back to how healthy the Vikes are. Take away this year's starting Tackles (Reiff/Remmers) were likely just as bad of a unit as last year with Hill and Sirles starting.

Agree to a point. I still am very interested in how Easton and Elfien will turn out. If they play above average, our line play will be considerably better than we were last year.

One thing we forget to realize is how much of some of the protection stuff "may" have been on Berger. He did a fine job blocking, but calling out protections is usually the centers job. Hopefully Berger put in a guard position with less responsibility can help this line.

Should be interesting to say the least.

27 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Agree to a point. I still am very interested in how Easton and Elfien will turn out. If they play above average, our line play will be considerably better than we were last year.

One thing we forget to realize is how much of some of the protection stuff "may" have been on Berger. He did a fine job blocking, but calling out protections is usually the centers job. Hopefully Berger put in a guard position with less responsibility can help this line.

Should be interesting to say the least.

Alternatively, we will be relying on a rookie for those same protection calls. Might be some growing pains. 

Interesting that last year's two starting Centers are now starting Guards.