The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

36 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

So when do we move on from Elflein?  Can we?  Is there a better option out there? Maybe Samia?  At this point I’d be willing to try a rookie before putting #65 on that field again.  

I was genuinely getting pissed off watching that circus of yellow flags taint the field during positive plays.   

Can his backup really be worst than he has been?

Several of those calls were absolutely weak calls, though.  I think of all the calls that were made, only 1 of them I would have truly called holding.  

7 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Didn't change the fact they were called, and he was generally bad again. He's just not good. 

He didn't allow a sack and they got nearly 400 yds of offense.  He must be doing something right, because even as the weak link on the line, they're still generating offense.  We couldn't have said the same thing 2-3 years ago.  Hell, even the 1998 offense (not that this line is anywhere near it) had a weak link in David Dixon.

Edited by swede700

Elflein has been dominating as a run blocker. The holding calls last night were questionable at best. He doesn’t hold up well to bull rushes in pass protection but he’s otherwise playing well.

Vikings OL has been very good since Bradbury figured it out. They’ve hardly had any negative runs, and a bunch of explosive ones. Cousins is still holding the ball quite a bit but less than the first month (time to throw 2.84 seconds since week 5) and he hasn’t been under much pressure (34.1% of dropbacks over that span, 22nd highest rate of 37 QBs). 

Reiff has been excellent. O’Neill and Bradbury have been very good but for the penalties. Elflein isn’t great as a pass blocker but is excelling in run blocking. Kline has been solid. They’re all healthy and playing like a top 10 OL.

Not much reason to complain, IMO. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Torchezim said:

So when do we move on from Elflein?  Can we?  Is there a better option out there? Maybe Samia?  At this point I’d be willing to try a rookie before putting #65 on that field again.  

I was genuinely getting pissed off watching that circus of yellow flags taint the field during positive plays.   

Can his backup really be worst than he has been?

Elflein isn't very good, but your second question, I believe, is the reason he is still starting. They failed to get a decent option at the position in the offseason so they have no choice but to figure out how to deal with Elflein. It is a choice they made in how to build the team this year. I understand your willingness to try a rookie before putting Elflein on the field again, but that reminds me of fans calling to move Danny Isidora to the starting lineup just because the guys in front of him were so bad. I have to believe that the coaches know that the rookie would be even worse than Elflein.

If Elflein doesn't improve (likely) and Samia is still warming the bench behind him at the end of the year it tells you that Samia isn't developing in practice enough and the team cannot count on him for next year.

I still like Elflein as a backup for the team but the fact they don't have someone better than him to start is too bad. The team could start Dozier in front of him but then we would just have to complain about Dozier and wonder if we can move on from him. Between the two, I see Elflein as the better backup. I am not happy with either of them as the starters.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If Elflein doesn't improve (likely) and Samia is still warming the bench behind him at the end of the year it tells you that Samia isn't developing in practice enough and the team cannot count on him for next year.

...or it tells you that Samia has only lined up at RG this year (and I believe exclusively at that position in college too), and they're developing him to take over from Kline starting sometime next season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

That is not what that means, and I don't know how you can say that with any certainty.

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Elflein isn't very good, but your second question, I believe, is the reason he is still starting. They failed to get a decent option at the position in the offseason so they have no choice but to figure out how to deal with Elflein. It is a choice they made in how to build the team this year. I understand your willingness to try a rookie before putting Elflein on the field again, but that reminds me of fans calling to move Danny Isidora to the starting lineup just because the guys in front of him were so bad. I have to believe that the coaches know that the rookie would be even worse than Elflein.

I still like Elflein as a backup for the team but the fact they don't have someone better than him to start is too bad. The team could start Dozier in front of him but then we would just have to complain about Dozier and wonder if we can move on from him. Between the two, I see Elflein as the better backup. I am not happy with either of them as the starters.

I'm hesitant to call for Samia also but I don't think him not starting this year means that he isn't in the future plans. The coaches are very hesitant to make changes on the line in season and in the preseason it sounded like Samia was pretty raw. Of course I thought O-Neal would struggle more last year also so maybe Samia would be better than Elfein right off the bat