The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

So was that better than the games without Cook?  I apologize, I'm not really up to date on the grades put out by PFF. 

I guess my point is that perhaps the return of an upper echelon RB will help mask some deficiencies. 

I don’t think that’s really a major factor, in terms of the OL grades. Cook will help the offense produce but the PFF grades for OL are based on making or missing blocks.

There wasn’t any obvious pre and post Cook effect last year. Reiff got worse in the second half of the year, Hill in the last few weeks, Remmers after his injuries. Elflein was up and down all year, Easton was probably a little better as the year went on. 

Vikings center Pat Elflein, who was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list to begin training camp on Wednesday, is recovering from not one, but two, operations he had this offseason.

Multiple NFL sources said Elflein had surgery this offseason to repair the shoulder injury he’d sustained last Dec. 2 in Atlanta. Elflein missed two of the Vikings’ last four regular-season games with the injury before returning for the team’s two playoff games. Coach Mike Zimmer had said in January that Elflein would have offseason surgery on the left ankle he fractured in the NFC Championship Game, and Dr. Robert Anderson performed the operation shortly after the season. I’d heard all offseason that Elflein had also needed surgery on his shoulder, and sources said Wednesday he did in fact have an operation.

http://www.startribune.com/pat-elflein-had-shoulder-surgery-this-offseason/489186491/

Agreed...that's really the only thing that makes any sense.  Then next offseason, they can readdress it. and maybe bring in either a new OL coach or a new TE coach (as Downing will likely take over the QB coach job once DeFilippo gets a HC job and Stefanski is promoted to OC).  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

O’Neill is over 300!

I think eating 6000 calories a day is unhealthy.  A 297 pound athlete does not need to gain weight.  The more weight he gains he sacrifices quickness, stamina and ultimately health.  No one under 7 foot needs to be carrying around 300 lbs.

He won’t sacrifice anything if the weight is out on in the correct manner. He’s working with nutritionists and strength coaches. He will be just fine. 

He probably has to eat near 5000 calories a day during camp to prevent himself from LOSING weight anyway. 

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think eating 6000 calories a day is unhealthy.  A 297 pound athlete does not need to gain weight.  The more weight he gains he sacrifices quickness, stamina and ultimately health.  No one under 7 foot needs to be carrying around 300 lbs.

6,000 calories is excessive but for an athlete working out multiple times a day he is burning more calories than the average guy. A guy typically can eat 2,500-3,000 calories a day to just maintain their weight. 

So he is eating twice. 

Does he need to? Probably not, but to be a better NFL tackle losing a little quickness to gain more strength is probably a need. His weakness was he was lacking strength. Most likely eating 6,000 calories a day, he is turning a lot of this weight into muscle

Michael Phelps was eating between 10k and 12k per day during the olympics in 2008. 315 lbs for an athlete at that height, taking the beating that a tackle takes throughout the year, is a good weight. 6000 calories is not excessive at all.