The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I don't think there is anyone out there as a FA who could help now.  If The Vikes are shorthanded depthwise during the exhibition season, they might very well be able to pick up a worthwhile depth player from among the last cuts.  But, if that's the case, there won't be much time to get that player much experience together with his future linemates.  Most of the help will have to come from within.

2 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I don't think there is anyone out there as a FA who could help now.  If The Vikes are shorthanded depthwise during the exhibition season, they might very well be able to pick up a worthwhile depth player from among the last cuts.  But, if that's the case, there won't be much time to get that player much experience together with his future linemates.  Most of the help will have to come from within.

Jahari Evans, Luke Joeckel, and Eric Winston are the only ones I would give a shot. And even then, I’m not a huge fan of any of them. 

Truely looking at it, how weak all of the NFL’s offensive lines are, even the guys getting cut really may not be anyone that will make an impact.

Might have to look at the trade route.  We seemingly have some depth at corner, end, and receiver at the moment. Maybe Latavius Murray (although I'd prefer to keep him) could net us a lineman. The Easton/Elflein injuries/missing time are definitely concerning for the offensive line. I'm happy with have Isidora/Gossett as young, potential, fill ins at guard, but center...

Edited by RpMc

If you pick someone up that gets cut, you're still going to have to cut someone from your team AND you're fighting other teams for the service of the player.  Why not secure the, likely better, player via trade?

As Gopher pointed out, given the state of offensive lines across the league, the likelihood of one being able to help you after being cut is minimal.

Edited by RpMc

13 minutes ago, RpMc said:

If you pick someone up that gets cut, you're still going to have to cut someone from your team AND you're fighting other teams for the service of the player.  Why not secure the, likely better, player via trade?

As Gopher pointed out, given the state of offensive lines across the league, the likelihood of one being able to help you after being cut is minimal.

Better player via trade, but you're often times giving up a better player to get him.

You can cut Marcus Sherels to get an OL signing, but might have to give up Mackenzie Alexander in a trade.

And if the lineman is the same talent different between Mack/Sherels over the cut lineman, I make that trade every day - especially because it allows the lineman to get into camp sooner and gel with the team during pre-season instead of snagging a guy right before the season starts.

• Like 1

I'd rather cut a guy like Colby Gossett to bring in a veteran OL who was cut than trade Mackensie Alexander for a guy who may or may not be much better than that cut veteran OL.  Because, in either case, you're not getting a Tyron Smith back in trade or cut.  There's probably not more than a dozen high-level OL in the entire NFL right now, and the rest are just JAGs, so there ain't much difference between the starting RG for the Cardinals and the guy who fails to make the last cut on the Patriots.   

Then again, you're left with the problem of getting that guy to sign here while fighting the horde of other teams who might be trying to sign the guy given the lack of talent at the position, and hoping that the guy is able to step in and play with limited knowledge of the system you run or the players he is playing with.  Getting a guy now gives you the best chance of getting something out of him.

I'm saying this assuming the worst with Easton and/or Elflein. If the team expects them back, I'm less worried about it.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'd rather cut a guy like Colby Gossett to bring in a veteran OL who was cut than trade Mackensie Alexander for a guy who may or may not be much better than that cut veteran OL.  Because, in either case, you're not getting a Tyron Smith back in trade or cut.  There's probably not more than a dozen high-level OL in the entire NFL right now, and the rest are just JAGs, so there ain't much difference between the starting RG for the Cardinals and the guy who fails to make the last cut on the Patriots.   

I don't mind moving Alexander, CB is extremely deep and we've added two rookie CBs that look very promising. 

• Like 2