The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I love O'Neill but I'd rather see him sit. It takes a while for college Offensive Lineman to grow into NFL players. Rushing him could be disastrous, like it was for TJ Clemmings.

except for the fact that O'Neill wasn't a defensive lineman convert, and actually looked good in his debut. The technical side of the game wasn't ever really the big problem for O'Neill, the questions were with weight and strength.

37 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I love O'Neill but I'd rather see him sit. It takes a while for college Offensive Lineman to grow into NFL players. Rushing him could be disastrous, like it was for TJ Clemmings.

He seems to already be better than Clemmings ever was.  I think the problem with Clemmings was more mental, as he couldn't adjust to constantly being flipped from side to side.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

except for the fact that O'Neill wasn't a defensive lineman convert, and actually looked good in his debut. The technical side of the game wasn't ever really the big problem for O'Neill, the questions were with weight and strength.

Is Matthews any good anymore? I feel like he could still struggle with stronger pass rushers and he's consistently getting pushed back he could develop some bad habits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is Matthews any good anymore? I feel like he could still struggle with stronger pass rushers and he's consistently getting pushed back he could develop some bad habits

It wasn't just Matthews he was against; the Packers sent multiple TE or ET stunts his way and he passed them off, handled his guy very nicely.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, RpMc said:

Still a blocking position, and again, his technique is relatively refined.

I agree with Steel King.  Rushing O'Neill is not a good idea.  What's required of a professional lineman as opposed to a college lineman is the same kind of learning curve most quarterbacks face. On the o-line the college game and the pro game are very different.

He was second string in the preseason, and he’s currently better than Hill. The only concern with O’Neill that I had was play strength and anchoring. He’s shown ability that suggest he will at least be okay in those areas as a rookie and his feet are elite. How often have our right tackles been abused by stunts the last few years? O’Neill showed the ability to handle them with relative ease last week and in the preseason.

the argument that the college game is different than the pro game so he needs more time is a poor one. What about all the other rookie lineman that are playing right now? I guess they’re being rushed...

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

He was 3rd string in preseason and played well against the Packers who are lacking an outside pass rush

2nd string, but it’s unimportant. O’Neill locked down his side against the competition that he’s been put up against. So, I’ll ask again, what aspect of his game would lead you to believe that he’s being rushed? Or that playing him now would be considered rushing him?

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

2nd string, but it’s unimportant. O’Neill locked down his side against the competition that he’s been put up against. So, I’ll ask again, what aspect of his game would lead you to believe that he’s being rushed? Or that playing him now would be considered rushing him?

I mostly just think people should pump the brakes on him a bit