The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Jones struggles significantly in space but seems relatively stout in stationary positions. I’d look at my playbook and figure out which guard position doesn’t need to be as mobile and plug him in there and kick Remmers to RT. I thought the o line looked far better with Elf at center. Compton seems to be a problem but he was playing against the manbearpig Donald. 

So, Reiff-Jones-Elf-?-Remmers.

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Still waiting for the Offensive Line to be Outstanding.

Maybe we should update the title?

While they aren't outstanding, they are middle of the pack...which is really all I ask for.  So, it probably should be "The Often Overbearing, but Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line"

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The run blocking can't be average, is it? If so, then wow, the OLs in this league are bad.....

Get O'Neil in the games. 

Does Oakland have an OL they want to trade for no good reason? :)

Run blocking has to be well below average, the alternative is that Cook is just not a good rusher. I know we haven't run the ball the nearly enough the past two weeks.

Guards appear to be the biggest weakness. We don't have a starting caliber guard and and the tackles (Hill and O'Neill) likely can't slide inside to move Remmers back to RT (well below average G).

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The run blocking can't be average, is it? If so, then wow, the OLs in this league are bad.....

Get O'Neil in the games. 

Does Oakland have an OL they want to trade for no good reason? :)

According to FootballOutsiders, prior to the Rams game, they were 19th the NFL in run blocking...16th in pass blocking.  The NFL, as a whole, is horrible for it's offensive line play.  It's probably the worst era for offensive line play in my entire life.  They are going to have to change the CBA to address this, because it ain't working.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Any chance that they would consider moving remmers back out to tackle if reiff misses time? There's not much depth yet

Seems like they’re more comfortable sliding Hill to the left and putting O’Neill in. 

18 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Just an observation....this line stinks!!

I think they are middle of the pack. Not many great OL out there but they've at least given Cousins enough time to have a career year, so it's not like the group is holding the passing game back. As run blockers, they are bad.

47 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think they are middle of the pack. Not many great OL out there but they've at least given Cousins enough time to have a career year, so it's not like the group is holding the passing game back. As run blockers, they are bad.

They are middle of the pack...this is just where the NFL is at at this time.  It's a terrible era for offensive line play....and it's because of the lack of offseason contact and the rise of the spread in college football.  That combination has led to bad, bad offensive line play all throughout the league.

• Like 1