The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Anyone concerned with Elflein? Obviously the issues at Guard aren't helping him out and he missed a lot of time in camp, but is he making strides from his decent rookie year?

I am not concerned at all.  I wouldn't expect giant strides from him this year just because of all the time he missed and the injuries he sustained.  But, if he can at least be where he was at last year, that's fine, because next offseason, he'll be able to train more and get better.  

Isidora missed on a very tough block on an outside zone, but he was integral on Murray’s 2nd touchdown...

I don’t think we lose anything with him in there and Compton out. Isidora is younger, and might still have a future as a starting lineman. Compton was nothing more than an injury replacement/stop gap. Isidora is a better run blocker from what I’ve seen as well. 

• Like 1

Hill and Remmers are the most obvious weak links in the O line at the moment. I agree Isidora missed that tough block on the sweep. On that same play Remmers was absolutely blown up as well. Not sure what the solution at RG is at the moment. Wouldn’t mind seeing if Brett Jones could be used at RG. Doesn’t seem like we ask Remmers to do athletic things and Jones struggles in space. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Moving this here from the Saints game thread: 

quote is from @HitStickAllDay

6 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

It’s also interesting to see guys like Vlad Ducasse, John Sullivan, and Sirles finding starting spots for other teams. I don’t have PFF but I’d be interested to see how they grade out vs our starters. 

Sullivan got abused in the Packers game. He grades as PFF's 30th best C (out of 38 qualifying with >20% of snaps). Brett Jones is 31st and Elflein is 34th. 

For 79 qualifying guards, PFF ranks Fusco 45th and Ducasse 70th. Compare that to Compton 24th, Isidora 44th and Remmers 57th. 

Sirles isn't starting in Buffalo. He's only played 16 snaps this year, almost all run blocking. I think they use him as a 6th OL. 

Among 79 qualifying tackles, Reiff is 29th, O'Neill 50th and Hill 60th.  

Triaging those ratings with 32 players per starting spot, the Vikings have one of the worst C in the league, a low G1 and two G2s, a low T1 and two T2s.

Their best OL looks to be Reiff-Compton-Elflein-Remmers-O'Neill (allowing for the fact that Remmers has played more top end talent than Isidora, and I think would have better results over the long term). Of course 3 of those players have already missed multiple games, and that's not including Easton being out for the year. 

Edited by Krauser

Thinking they should rest Reiff this week and get the extra week rest with the bye coming up. Don't recall how close he was to playing last week.

Compton has a sprained MCL I thought I saw? I'd give him another 2 weeks as well to get ready for the stretch run starting with the Bears. 

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

Moving this here from the Saints game thread: 

quote is from @HitStickAllDay

Sullivan got abused in the Packers game. He grades as PFF's 30th best C (out of 38 qualifying with >20% of snaps). Brett Jones is 31st and Elflein is 34th. 

For 79 qualifying guards, PFF ranks Fusco 45th and Ducasse 70th. Compare that to Compton 24th, Isidora 44th and Remmers 57th. 

Sirles isn't starting in Buffalo. He's only played 16 snaps this year, almost all run blocking. I think they use him as a 6th OL. 

Among 79 qualifying tackles, Reiff is 29th, O'Neill 50th and Hill 60th.  

Triaging those ratings with 32 players per starting spot, the Vikings have one of the worst C in the league, a low G1 and two G2s, a low T1 and two T2s.

Their best OL looks to be Reiff-Compton-Elflein-Remmers-O'Neill (allowing for the fact that Remmers has played more top end talent than Isidora, and I think would have better results over the long term). Of course 3 of those players have already missed multiple games, and that's not including Easton being out for the year. 

This is why I'm not convinced Elflein is the answer. He consistently grades out as one of the worst starters at his position yet he routinely gets a pass and remains in the conversation as a long term starter. 

I think the interior OL needs a complete overhaul next year, all 3 spots could be upgraded but I realize that's a difficult task in one offseason. Especially considering that MN likely won't have any FA money to spend. 

I don't think Isidora has shown enough to replace Compton but I am comfortable with O'Neill going forward at RT.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

This is why I'm not convinced Elflein is the answer. He consistently grades out as one of the worst starters at his position yet he routinely gets a pass and remains in the conversation as a long term starter. 

I think the interior OL needs a complete overhaul next year, all 3 spots could be upgraded but I realize that's a difficult task in one offseason. Especially considering that MN likely won't have any FA money to spend. 

I don't think Isidora has shown enough to replace Compton but I am comfortable with O'Neill going forward at RT.

It's hard to judge Elflein this year because of the injuries. The main thing he needed to upgrade from his rookie year was play strength, but he missed the entire offseason (and more), which no doubt limited his development. He's still doing a few things well, especially blocking on the move. 

I agree that he's overrated right now by Vikings fans. He got a lot of credit for the line playing pretty well in the first part of last year when that wasn't really so much thanks to him. Matthew Coller and the Veteran Scout guy have made a big deal about his best plays and the worst plays get comparably little attention. 

I don't think they can or should plan to replace Elflein next year assuming he finishes healthy and can get some offseason work done. He'll get one more year. 

I'm pretty happy with Compton and don't mind if they give him low end starter money to stay for another year or two. If Easton's neck is OK, maybe he would come back too on a vet minimum for depth. 

Remmers has declined considerably since the injuries at the end of last year and I think they should move on from him. Plan to draft a guard on day 2 and have him compete with Isidora for the RG spot. 

Reiff and O'Neill should be a good pair of tackles for the next couple of years.