________ Is who everyone wants ________ to be

Duffman57

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's not a liability against the run at all. He makes every play against the run, but he doesn't do it by being aggressive. He's patient and scrapes over the top of the garbage. He's the LBer equivalent of Le'Veon Bell with his patience. I think he's great for bend and don't break run defenses, but will never be a TFL monster. He's just a really good flow/scrape linebacker that has no value doing anything else. He'll end up with a massive amount of tackles, but I don't think he's going to be nearly as impactful as those tackle #'s might suggest.

Sure, he makes plays against the run.....5 yards from the LOS.  I very rarely see him make a play that isn't 3+ yards downfield vs an inside run.  He consistently sits there and plays patty cake and dances with the OL in front of him, instead of taking him on.

2 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Sure, he makes plays against the run.....5 yards from the LOS.  I very rarely see him make a play that isn't 3+ yards downfield vs an inside run.  He consistently sits there and plays patty cake and dances with the OL in front of him, instead of taking him on.

I kind of agree with you here, but he's not capable of handling big OL. He's a small dude. His best bet is to scrape over the top of blocks and make safe tackles. He's also got 3-down versatility to excel in the passing game. His coverage of RB's is unbelievable. And he doesn't miss tackles. So really the only thing he doesn't do well is attack the run, but it's by design. He's supposed to be late to the party as the WLB in a traditional defense.

My only gripe with Roquan is that he isn't versatile in the least. He's purely a WLB that, put in the role of a MLB in any scheme, is going to be a detriment to your defense. Still, he's worth a 1st round pick every day if you're looking to grab a WLB.

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I kind of agree with you here, but he's not capable of handling big OL. He's a small dude. His best bet is to scrape over the top of blocks and make safe tackles. He's also got 3-down versatility to excel in the passing game. His coverage of RB's is unbelievable. And he doesn't miss tackles. So really the only thing he doesn't do well is attack the run, but it's by design. He's supposed to be late to the party as the WLB in a traditional defense.

My only gripe with Roquan is that he isn't versatile in the least. He's purely a WLB that, put in the role of a MLB in any scheme, is going to be a detriment to your defense. Still, he's worth a 1st round pick every day if you're looking to grab a WLB.

Just given his ability to generate pop the way he does with his tackling, I personally think he could do a LOT more taking on OL, but he tries to play playmaker too often.  Even watch Baker go in the box, he'll actually shoot his hands and lock out on the OL really well at times, and he has WAY less contact power that Roquan Smith flashes.

But I agree, it's hard to not value a guy who covers the way he does.  If you do play him like that, I see why you would put a high grade on them, but as I said before, you're basically moreso comparing him to Derwin James at that point than you are to other LB's like Baker.  IDK, I think he'll make a ton of tackles, but all of them are going to be either outside the box, or 3 yards down the field.  Maybe I just don't like soft LB's....especially ones that show the power on contact to actually be good in that regard.  I really just worry it's more of a lack of instincts that's holding him back vs the run and not just physicality, and that's a category I really look for at LB.

12 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

Just given his ability to generate pop the way he does with his tackling, I personally think he could do a LOT more taking on OL, but he tries to play playmaker too often.  Even watch Baker go in the box, he'll actually shoot his hands and lock out on the OL really well at times, and he has WAY less contact power that Roquan Smith flashes.

But I agree, it's hard to not value a guy who covers the way he does.  If you do play him like that, I see why you would put a high grade on them, but as I said before, you're basically moreso comparing him to Derwin James at that point than you are to other LB's like Baker.  IDK, I think he'll make a ton of tackles, but all of them are going to be either outside the box, or 3 yards down the field.  Maybe I just don't like soft LB's....especially ones that show the power on contact to actually be good in that regard.  I really just worry it's more of a lack of instincts that's holding him back vs the run and not just physicality, and that's a category I really look for at LB.

What is this? Soft LB? Lack of instincts? explain......

20 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Kyle Lauletta is who everyone wants Sam Darnold to be.

Yea, the guy with a worse 3rd down conversion rate in a sub-par FCS conference with sufficient, but below average arm talent is better than the guy garnering consideration for 1st overall that flashes some of the best raw arm talent we have seen at the position this century.

Right.

36 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

This one was kind of kidding

Yeah Peterson is a big fast truck that struggles to catch out of the backfield and remain useful on 3rd downs.

Sony Michel is a smaller lateral back that excels at catching out of the backfield and looks like a great prospect for 3rd downs.

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What is this? Soft LB? Lack of instincts? explain......

Honestly, I think both of those things are true. Smith isn't a soft LB when he's tackling, but he avoids contact at all costs otherwise, even if it takes him completely out of a play. As for the instincts, it's really hard for me to tell, he literally doesn't move until he's seen most plays are developed so he can avoid OL that climb to him.  I VERY rarely see him anticipate and break on a play that isn't outside the tackles.  I'm not his biggest fan in zone coverage, though his range is incredible, so that hides it some.  I absolutely question his football IQ, but that's something that is going to have to be sorted out in meetings and film sessions which I am absolutely not involved in, so at this point I can only have concerns about the subject, that aren't in the slightest bit confirmed....

Archived