Ideal 4 picks - 4 positions

WizardHawk

We have a clear interest in WRs, OL, DEs, and LBers.

As TO pointed out, per the visits/workouts, it's quite apparent Dallas has put a emphasis on these four positions. Using the first four picks, what's your ideal draft addressing those spots? 

Jonah Tuls Big Board
Consensus Big Board

1. Harold Landry [DE - Boston College] 
2. Austin Corbett [OG - Nevada]
3. Darius Leonard [LB - S. Carolina St]
4. TreQuan Smith [WR - UCF]

Landry provides a contingency plan should DLaw be too expensive to sign long term. Fisher has stated sides are miles apart. Focus seems to have primarily been on Wynn and Hernandez on this board. Corbett has been sorely underestimated. All Leonard did at SCSt was rack up nearly 400 tackles, 20 sacks, and 6 picks. Have just recently started to take more notice of him. Excellent all around football player. WR should be way higher on the list as I'm pretty much positive there will be a big change coming soon, but since I want Dez to stay, WR moves down this list. Smith needs work and isn't super athletic, but comparisons to Allen Robinson are good enough for me

Ideal? Hm

Based on who should be available and barring trade? Its hard because my preferences are jeopardized by what I know Dallas would do. But my absolute preference based on whod be available..

1. Justin Reid

2. Malik Jefferson

3. Nyheim Hines

4. Cedric Wilson 

Reid has a bit of both styles to him. Good instincts in coverage, good awareness and pursuit against the run...while I dont see star potential, which is what im aiming for, I do see a guy who can MAKE PLAYS on the ball and cause turnovers which is the next best thing to finding a star. 

Malik Jefferson is an aggressive linebacker who, like Reid, goes for the ball. I like his aggression and I think it could bolster a notoriously turnover deprived defense to add two players known to try to make plays on the football instead of the football player carrying it.

Hines would give a speedy, bursty backup to Zeke. If Zeke were out again for any reason, Hines has the vision and speed to keep the offense going while also being a danger for a homerun anytime we give Zeke a hit of gatordade and blow of oxygen.

Cedric Wilson is another big body receiver who has no trouble climbing the ladder. Like his SMU counterpart Sutton he lacks polish and finesse and will need work, but his physical traits are a nice foundation to build upon. This would be a star potential but risky pick.

BUT - my gut tells me, and ill do my full mock soon, but my gut tells me, itll be something stupid like this:

1. Courtland Sutton or Rashaan Evans

2. Brayden Smith or Lorenzo Carter

3. Marcus Allen or Deshaun Elliott

4. Joseph Noteboom or Matt Pryor

Of which, only Sutton has the real star potential...the others would all be the safe pick with good contributors that never bring us the playmaking we need to bring us glory.

Great now im depressed.

I like your list, WH. I think it's worth noting how tough to gauge that #50 pick is. Of all the players Dallas has met with, there's maybe like 5 that project to last to #50 and would be good value there, especially given Garrett and McClay's proclivity for big school players. A trade up from that pick seems highly likely to me.

What I think:

1[19] - Leighton Vander Esch - Boise State - LB
2[50] - Austin Corbett - Nevada - LG
3[81] - Michael Gallup - Colorado State  - WR
4[116] - Nathan Shepherd - Fort Hays State - DT
*4[137] - Malik Jefferson - Texas  - LB

What would be the best:

1[19] - Vita Vea - Washington - DT
2[50] - Will Hernandez - Texas-El Paso  - LG
3[81] - Darius Leonard - South Carolina State - LB
4[116] - Nathan Shepherd - Fort Hays State - DT
*4[137] - Daurice Fountain - Northern Iowa - WR

24 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I like your list, WH. I think it's worth noting how tough to gauge that #50 pick is. Of all the players Dallas has met with, there's maybe like 5 that project to last to #50 and would be good value there, especially given Garrett and McClay's proclivity for big school players. A trade up from that pick seems highly likely to me.

Agreed. Think this probably gains more momentum as draft day approaches. 

11 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

As TO pointed out, per the visits/workouts, it's quite apparent Dallas has put a emphasis on these four positions. Using the first four picks, what's your ideal draft addressing those spots? 

Jonah Tuls Big Board
Consensus Big Board

4. TreQuan Smith [WR - UCF]

Landry provides a contingency plan should DLaw be too expensive to sign long term. Fisher has stated sides are miles apart. Focus seems to have primarily been on Wynn and Hernandez on this board. Corbett has been sorely underestimated. All Leonard did at SCSt was rack up nearly 400 tackles, 20 sacks, and 6 picks. Have just recently started to take more notice of him. Excellent all around football player. WR should be way higher on the list as I'm pretty much positive there will be a big change coming soon, but since I want Dez to stay, WR moves down this list. Smith needs work and isn't super athletic, but comparisons to Allen Robinson are good enough for me

I like this let me piggy back this and go 

4.  Deadrin Senat [NT- South Florida]

or 

1. Wynn 

2. Bates

3. Warner

4. Senat 

2 minutes ago, couchscout said:

I like this let me piggy back this and go 

1. Harold Landry [DE - Boston College
4.  Deadrin Senat [NT- South Florida]

or 

1. Wynn 

2. Bates- Wake Forest

3. Warner- BYU

4. Senat 

See this is what I was getting at. Can we really expect this regime to spend early picks on players from these schools? Last year, our entire draft, in order went Michigan, Colorado, Michigan, North Carolina, La. Tech, FSU, Florida, Ohio State, Colorado. The year before, we went Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Mississippi State, Purdue, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Baylor (although admittedly not the Baylor football program). All Power 5 schools with student bodies of at least 10,000 until Round 6.

I like guys like Bates, Shepherd, Leonard, but I think it's way more likely that our first two picks are Mo Hurst and Billy Price, or some pair of Bama players.

12 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

What about Byron Jones? He isn't exactly from a football powerhouse 

Well I think there's been a marked change to our approach since then. But that draft was mostly big Power 5 schools too (Nebraska, Florida, Minnesota, Purdue, VT, Texas... UCONN and Wyoming not so much), so I suppose there's room for exceptions.

38 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

What about Byron Jones? He isn't exactly from a football powerhouse 

He was a total need/measurables/RKG pick. I still think he was a solid pick for where he was selected, but we let need dictate far too much who was to be selected. We should have had Collins playing robber on this unit. But since we had Church and seemed ok at that spot...we went with the mkre cover-y player despite being less of a player.

FO has got to just take the best damn players. Screw whos ahead of them. Players Dont like it? Play better and they wont take your job. Simple as that.

They picked Byron because of his combine. He barely even played the year before. Last year was the first year that combine #s were mostly thrown out in round 1. Other than last year id say SPARQ scores and need have dictated our first round pick more than anything

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

See this is what I was getting at. Can we really expect this regime to spend early picks on players from these schools? Last year, our entire draft, in order went Michigan, Colorado, Michigan, North Carolina, La. Tech, FSU, Florida, Ohio State, Colorado. The year before, we went Ohio State, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Mississippi State, Purdue, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Baylor (although admittedly not the Baylor football program). All Power 5 schools with student bodies of at least 10,000 until Round 6.

I like guys like Bates, Shepherd, Leonard, but I think it's way more likely that our first two picks are Mo Hurst and Billy Price, or some pair of Bama players.

I totally agree they like big school and honestly I don't believe that's a bad thing BUT Dallas has met with everyone listed so who knows 

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

They picked Byron because of his combine. He barely even played the year before. Last year was the first year that combine #s were mostly thrown out in round 1. Other than last year id say SPARQ scores and need have dictated our first round pick more than anything

When we were smashing the r1 picks out of the park, we were nabbing the best damn football player possible. We werent going for need over other things. All teams rate players of need higher over positions they dont need, but we were not completely pressed at C and G when we took Travis and Zach. It wasnt a sell out for need, it was a pick of a position of need, but also great players whos ability allowed us to fill a need.

We didnt have that with Byron...we let his athleticism and the need for coverage help dictate what we should do, instead of going for the clearly better players at positions of need not so pressing. 

And im.a fan of Byron..I think he gets a little too much hate tossed his way. But he was the safe pick at a position of need. Need and safety dictated the pick. No risk, little reward. And while I say pay him and keep him because his versatility helps and hes still a solid and reliable guy out there, man, wouldnt it have been nice to have had Malcolm Brown (ended up not being so geat anyway, but still) or Landon Collins or Mario Edwards Jr, or McKinney, Kikaha, Jalen Collins

Not that any of them besides Landon Collins has become a standout player. But the others consistently have pretty good years, making a handful of key plays game after game to help get a win. While Byron is a silent role player who really hasnt made any impact plays and just keeps his role simple and fairly consistent. But nothing of note.

Not to harp on him for being just a good contributor and role player. But some impact plays would be nice...and he was never going to be that tide changing play maker.

Archived