DC sports, is it now the worst?

turtle28

It was brought to my attention on sports radio that the 76ers won 50 games this year. Yes, the 76ers and that was w/ Markell Fultz their #1 pick, missing most of the season and Embid missing some time again as well. 

Then, of course the Eagles finally won a super bowl in February. 

Cleveland has had Lebron back the last several seasons and they won a championship and have been in a few more since Lebron was drafted so they’re not the worst anymore. 

In Chicago, the Bears were at least in a super bowl a decade ago with Rex Grossman, eventhough they lost to Payton and the Colts. The Bulls won 5 NBA Titles since the Redskins last won a championship for DC in 91-92 and the Blackhawks have won a Stanley Cup this century. Then of course, both the Cubs and White Sox have won World Series this century. 

Now, let’s get to DC sports. The Redskins haven’t won 11 games (yes, haven’t won 11 games!) since the 91-92 season, 26 years ago when they last won the super bowl. The wizards haven’t even won 50 games since 79. The Capitals have been to the Stanley Cup once in their 40 some year history and while the Nationals are a great regular season team, they’ve never won an MLB  Playoff series.

So is DC sports currently the worst in the nation? Or is it not because we have 3 out of 4 teams that make the playoffs every year, even if they never go to a championship?

12 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The funny thing is, we're in the golden years right now. More teams are having regular season success than ever before. We just don't get it done in the playoffs.

Ah yes.  Washington is in the Alex Smith phase.

36 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Can we start a separate than TART Caps playoff thread? I've decided I'm going to be the exact opposite of my Redskins pessimism and I'm all positive for the Caps. In Gruby we trust.

From my understanding the webmaster wants us to make a new thread for any topic now instead of big compilation ones.  So I would think that would be fine.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The funny thing is, we're in the golden years right now. More teams are having regular season success than ever before. We just don't get it done in the playoffs.

Which means it’s not a golden era. If it were a golden era we’d have at least one team winning a championship this decade, but despite all the regular season winning we don’t.

Id take just one. Like in the 80s, we didn’t have Baseball - but many DC fans rooted for the Orioles and they did win one World Series - the bullets didn’t come close and barely made the playoffs most of the 80s, the caps didn’t come close to winning one but we had the Redskins win 3 and go to 4!

All you need is just 1 team to do it, but we don’t have it eventhough we have the Caps & Nats usually as regular season champs or close to it. In fact, I’d argue it’s worse to see teams be too 5 in their conference every year and then choke in the playoffs than it is to see a team just suck, because at least when they suck you know a top 5 pick is coming and that brings hope of a brighter future.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Can we start a separate than TART Caps playoff thread? I've decided I'm going to be the exact opposite of my Redskins pessimism and I'm all positive for the Caps. In Gruby we trust.

I would think that’s perfectly fine, but have a hockey forum don’t they? I know they have basketball, baseball and college.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ah yes.  Washington is in the Alex Smith phase.

At least if we’re in the playoffs w/ Alex, there’s always a chance lighting strikes just like w/ the Caps, Nats  and Wizards eventhough it seems unlikely any of these teams will it all.

Lets just go for comparison sake, if Kirk was in the playoffs the last two seasons to go along with 2015, we’d all be estatic about it.

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

At least if we’re in the playoffs w/ Alex, there’s always a chance lighting strikes just like w/ the Caps, Nats  and Wizards eventhough it seems unlikely any of these teams will it all.

Lets just go for comparison sake, if Kirk was in the playoffs the last two seasons to go along with 2015, we’d all be estatic about it.

The Nats certainly can. The Caps missed their window as they should have a couple stanley cups by now and the Wizards have anchored themselves to a loser in Grunfeld for far too long to go anywhere. The Redskins are what they are. 

52 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

When has lightning ever struck any of these teams in the playoffs?

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Nats certainly can. The Caps missed their window as they should have a couple stanley cups by now and the Wizards have anchored themselves to a loser in Grunfeld for far too long to go anywhere. The Redskins are what they are. 

Yeah, sure they have the talent but they haven’t even won a playoff series yet. Then, we all saw that if the Mets actually stay healthy like they were in 2015 that they may actually have enough to take the division back away from the Nats. The Nats are not the shoe in that everyone thinks they are if the Mets play like they did in the last series and the Nats don’t hit but Harper and their bullpen doesn’t get the job done.

Archived