2019 Head Coaching Candidates

Scout

On 4/14/2018 at 5:46 PM, Scout said:

What do you think of Schwartz tenure/leadership in Detroit?

I would've listed Shaw, but I feel like he will never leave Stanford. Just my $0.02

I think Schwartz did well considering he took a 0-16 team to the playoffs in 3 years. He was in over his head a first time HC but he did well considering. Hopefully, he'll be better prepared his next go-round. 

18 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Josh McDaniels will still be hot next year. 

I think that ship has sailed, given how the Colts fiasco played out. Perception is now that McDaniels is being groomed to replace Belly in a year or two.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Louis Friend said:

I think Schwartz did well considering he took a 0-16 team to the playoffs in 3 years. He was in over his head a first time HC but he did well considering. Hopefully, he'll be better prepared his next go-round. 

Agree on Schwartz. I think he brought the team as far as he could and in some ways was in over his head. However he did a solid job bringing a team into the playoffs after going 0 -16 and having his #1 overall QB struggle initially with injury issues. I would like to see him get a HC position elsewhere as he has done a phenomenal job in Philly.

JBC: If you're going to accept the praise you also need to accept the blame. He's done a solid job with Stafford and the offense as a hole. The run game has been the biggest issue. Poor scheme (see Ron Prince) and lack of productive talent (Abdullah has been injured, did not address position last year in draft, etc.) all contribute to that mess. Caldwell has had a lengthy history of poor rushing attacks. It'll be interesting to see who gets the praise, assuming the Lions bump up their abysmal run game. Since he'll be out of the shadow of Caldwell, will JBC get the love or will it be Bob Quinn (new OL coach, added Blount, likely to add a RB in draft, etc.)?

As much as I like him as a coach, I see zero reason for David Shaw to leave Stanford. Unless he wants the challenge of a NFL roster I just don't see it happening. He runs a pro style team, they are consistently developing decent NFL level talent, consistently battling for the PAC-12 title, etc. There's a lot of job security. He gets media gigs for events like the NC Game, NFL Draft, etc. He doesn't have the same pressures as a SEC coach. He is so coveted as it is, if there are any rumblings about Stanford moving into another direction he'll have multiple options almost immediately.

20 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think that ship has sailed, given how the Colts fiasco played out. Perception is now that McDaniels is being groomed to replace Belly in a year or two.

I don’t know how much I believe that. McDaniels will get a HC offer should he want to pursue one. I don’t know if any of the other owners will honestly hold not wanting Irsay as his boss against him. As to the succession. Maybe. I don’t know what was said. I don’t even know I’d trust what was said. I could very easily see it being Kraft saying you’re our first choice when Belly retires and Belly saying in his usual cryptic way, I’m not thinking about how much longer I’m going to be coaching. I’m just focused on this season and there being a take from that. 

• 1 month later...
On 14/04/2018 at 9:37 PM, jrry32 said:

David Shaw HC Stanford

Jim Schwartz Eagles DC

Todd Wash Jaguars DC

Todd Haley Browns OC

Vic Fangio Bears DC

Marquand Manuel Falcons DC

I'd say the latter four are more watch list than anything. I think Shaw and Schwartz are leading candidates if they want to be NFL HCs.

Todd Haley was trash with the chiefs as a HC. He wasn’t helped by having Scott Pioli as his GM, but he wasn’t able to put together a decent gameplan on either side of the ball and it wasn’t for a lack of talent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived