2019 Head Coaching Candidates

Scout

11 minutes ago, Scout said:

What do you think of Schwartz tenure/leadership in Detroit?

I would've listed Shaw, but I feel like he will never leave Stanford. Just my $0.02

There was good and bad to it. He was a bit too lenient with guys, but he's worth a second chance. His team didn't completely fall on its face. And some coaches learn from their mistakes.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:11 PM, Scout said:

I think Flip is the next McVay

More like the next Pederson. McVay could be a flash in the pan. Win something or wait a few seasons before using a 1 year coach as the measuring stick for success.

5 hours ago, Classic said:

More like the next Pederson. McVay could be a flash in the pan. Win something or wait a few seasons before using a 1 year coach as the measuring stick for success.

Pederson doesn't have any longer of a track record than McVay. That is a horrendous argument. McVay took a 4-12 team to 11-5. That 4-12 team had not had a winning season since 2003. He took the offense from 32nd to 1st. McVay isn't a flash in the pan. It's not difficult to see that. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:
7 hours ago, Classic said:

Pederson doesn't have any longer of a track record than McVay. That is a horrendous argument. McVay took a 4-12 team to 11-5. That 4-12 team had not had a winning season since 2003. He took the offense from 32nd to 1st. McVay isn't a flash in the pan. It's not difficult to see that. 

hm I see your point jrry

But...

USATSI_10588734.jpg

vs

maxresdefault.jpg

One has had success when it mattered and the other hasn't yet.
He did an incredible job resurrecting the Rams from the disgusting trash dump grave Fisher left them in.
And I think he will be fine as long as they win this year.

But Doug did it already. He beat the Falcons, He beat the Vikings, he beat the Pats, he beat the Panthers on a short week, he beat the Rams with Nick Foles coming off the bench.
Could it be a flash in the pan? maybe. But you have one guy who won a lot against good teams and got a ring, vs a guy that didn't. I think if someone where to bet money they'd have to take doug that has a track record over McVay, right?

And the two year turn around from the cold dark ages that was Chip Kelly ruining our franchise is at least equally impressive.

But anyway, Flip is gonna be a heck of a coach. I wonder if he goes to the Bucs or Broncos next year

@Kiltman, one made the playoffs in his first year while winning 7 more games than his predecessor. The other missed the playoffs in his first year while winning 0 more games than his predecessor. If you're going to make this comparison, it's probably best to wait and see what McVay does in Season 2. But any argument that we can't judge McVay because he's only done it for one year while trying to argue Pederson as the gold standard is beyond suspect. Don't bring that garbage into my house. I'll Mutombo it with glee. This is FootballsFuture, not FootballsPast. If you (directed at the people who lodge the one year argument) don't have the balls to call out greatness when you see it, that's your choice. I see greatness with McVay/Goff and Pederson/Wentz. I don't care that they've only done it for a year. But don't try to hold McVay and Pederson to different standards.

And if you asked me to be a betting man, I'm taking McVay over Pederson. What Pederson did in 2017 was amazing. There's no disagreement here. But what McVay did was even more amazing. The Rams are the only team in the Super Bowl era to go from worst to first in scoring. And nobody thought it was possible. I'm not worried about McVay winning rings. He'll get his. We have a 32 year old coach and a 23 year old starting QB. Our future is stunningly bright.

I agree @jrry32 it’s not fair to base it off of a two year performance vs a one year performance. 

And I think next offseason it’ll be a good test to compare the two. Along with a guy like Kyle Shanahan maybe...he had a similar 1st year to Doug. Not a ton of winning. Both played teams tough, got his QBOTF reps.

I think we could talk in circles of who painted the prettiest finger painting in class. End of the day we were some of the few kids that didn’t eat the paint, crap their pants, or get put on timeout for biting a kid. Yes we got the gold star ⭐️ last time, as you guys somehow fumbled your paints at the end all over the place. But things look good for us both not being the browns who somehow did all three last year when we paint again this fall.

To carry the analogy over the way Super Bowls and Oscars go is that gold star ⭐️ is attached to everyone on the eagles now. It carries some weight because they actually did it. But yea it’ll be a new day, we might be painting a barnyard in class. And maybe Vikings or Falcons or Rams get that gold star ⭐️ this time. Zimmer loves painting lil piggies and this is his time to shine. But going into it teacher probably has her eye on us to do it again after we painted those beautiful salt lakes of Minnesota. Especially because all 6’5” 240 of Ginger Christ Superstar is standing behind us like Swayze in Ghost again helping us.

Ginger Jesus take the wheel.

18 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I agree @jrry32 it’s not fair to base it off of a two year performance vs a one year performance. 

And I think next offseason it’ll be a good test to compare the two. Along with a guy like Kyle Shanahan maybe...he had a similar 1st year to Doug. Not a ton of winning. Both played teams tough, got his QBOTF reps.

I think we could talk in circles of who painted the prettiest finger painting in class. End of the day we were some of the few kids that didn’t eat the paint, crap their pants, or get put on timeout for biting a kid. Yes we got the gold star ⭐️ last time, as you guys somehow fumbled your paints at the end all over the place. But things look good for us both not being the browns who somehow did all three last year when we paint again this fall.

To carry the analogy over the way Super Bowls and Oscars go is that gold star ⭐️ is attached to everyone on the eagles now. It carries some weight because they actually did it. But yea it’ll be a new day, we might be painting a barnyard in class. And maybe Vikings or Falcons or Rams get that gold star ⭐️ this time. Zimmer loves painting lil piggies and this is his time to shine. But going into it teacher probably has her eye on us to do it again after we painted those beautiful salt lakes of Minnesota. Especially because all 6’5” 240 of Ginger Christ Superstar is standing behind us like Swayze in Ghost again helping us.

Ginger Jesus take the wheel.

I was never very good at art. What I do know is that nobody has won back-to-back Super Bowls since the Patsies during the 04 season. Y'all better keep Suh away from your soulless QB. I expect playing next to Donald will make him extra ornery. xD

On 4/12/2018 at 4:24 PM, Chiefer said:

He just got promoted to Asst. HC this year, with Reid singing his praises for his work with the whole team.

I very much think he still wants a HC position.

He was on my shortlist of guys back when it seemed like Koetter was gonna be fired.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I was never very good at art. What I do know is that nobody has won back-to-back Super Bowls since the Patsies during the 04 season. Y'all better keep Suh away from your soulless QB. I expect playing next to Donald will make him extra ornery. xD

They can’t torment and consume the soul of Carson if he never had one

th?id=OIP.Rs68h5XLYS-B6rfRvCu9tgAAAA&pid

Thats why he’s gonna be the goat

On 4/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, jrry32 said:

There was good and bad to it. He was a bit too lenient with guys, but he's worth a second chance. His team didn't completely fall on its face. And some coaches learn from their mistakes.

I think people fail to realize he took a team that was 0-16 to the playoffs in a few years.

Archived