Uncle Buck

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm ready to be hurt again.

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't.

Me too. 

sorry too report that its getting a good reception from another screening

seems like its a solid action film that has some flaws, but breaths life back into the franchise. Its not on the level of T1 or T2, but it's a step above the rest of the films in the franchise.

13 hours ago, devils1854 said:

58% on Rotten Tomatoes with 33 reviews, 55 on Metacritic with 22 reviews.

It seems like the more liberal critics are praising it for its girl power and what not, and all other critics say its a total piece of crap.

That is exactly what I was hoping was not the case. 

I don't know why it's so hard for action movies to write legitimately likable heroines.  Literally the easiest way is to put a normal woman into an extraordinary situation and watch her rise to meet those circumstances.  It is literally as simple as watching Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2 and doing the same thing. 

You do NOT bring an extraordinary woman (the human/machine hybrid) and put her into an ordinary (for her) situation.  That is not good writing literally by every established method of good writing.  You do NOT bring a super experienced woman into an ordinary situation for her (Sarah Conner). 

If you look back on this page this is exactly what I have been griping about the entire time. 

You bring Sarah Conner back.  Perfect.  Wonderful.  Give her a defect.  It's literally that simple.  But no, she comes back as this cocksure, arrogant, "Terminator hunter" pro.  That is a crock of ****.  Then you add this human/cyborg hybrid.  How is that building strong, likable heroines back? 

Terminator - Innocent, inexperienced, normal every day woman suddenly has a ****ING CYBORG HUNTING AFTER HER THAT IS UNKILLABLE.
Terminator 2 - Sarah Conner struggles with her mental health and her fractured relationship with her son and an unhealthy obsession with stopping the apocalypse.  She is extremely damaged, and yet she overcomes it.
Terminator - She is now a badass who does this for a living and it's totally normal for her. 

Even Halloween, which is a franchise I definitely do not like, gets the concept.  Laurie Strode or whatever her name is suffers from PTSD and it strains her relationship with everyone.  Only when facing her literal demons does she rise above her issues, confront them and defeat them. 

It is so Goddamn simple to write good female characters in an action/horror setting and yet ever since about 2010, Hollywood has failed miserably.  Although I'm generally alone in this, I have loved everything about the new Star Wars trilogy except for their terrible writing of Rey.  She is the best example possible of a Mary Sue. 

It was the same for Mad Max: Fury Road.  They literally brought in feminists to fix this story and they made it worse for the female characters.  Imperator Furiosa is a Mary Sue if there ever was one.  You don't take away her leg and somehow make her a developed character.  Then they had women literally throwing themselves at a sexually abusive and possessive monster.  It's like... HOW IN TF is that empowering at all? 

Terminator 3 and all the other ones were equally terrible on their female characters and it's disgusting. 

Give me 150 million and the rights to Terminator and I will make a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.  These ****ing morons in Hollywood are so out of touch with reality, with fans and with how to write a ****ing movie it's a miracle Hollywood isn't dead right now.  The only reason they're not is because, as much as they say otherwise, people don't care at all about quality in storytelling or writing, they just care about spectacle. 

Ugh.  I'm glad I saw this review.  For a moment - very brief - I had talked myself into actually going to see this movie in theaters. 

I am so disappointed I could cry. 

• Like 1

@Outpost31, that's how your write any type of compelling character regardless of gender. The difference is Hollywood feels this pressure to make badass female protagonists and they are overcompensating and afraid to give them any type of vulnerability. 

I always go back to Buffy. They give this young lady basically Captain America like power. Therefore, she is a total badass, exactly what Hollywood wants. On the flip side, its a responsibility she doesnt want, resists, and basically ruins her life. Throughout the life of the show they consistently give her new weaknesses to overcome. 

• Like 3

I just don’t get why they insist on the time travel gimmick.  Even in the trailer for this movie they say how even though they stopped the catastrophe, it didn’t alter the future outcome.  So why keep going back in time to do the same?

Terminator: Salvation doesn’t get enough credit but at least it took place in the future during this unavoidable conflict.  So why not base sequels in this future?  That’s where there are so much more storylines to mine.  T:S was so refreshing compared to these last 2 duds. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I just don’t get why they insist on the time travel gimmick.  Even in the trailer for this movie they say how even though they stopped the catastrophe, it didn’t alter the future outcome.  So why keep going back in time to do the same?

Terminator: Salvation doesn’t get enough credit but at least it took place in the future during this unavoidable conflict.  So why not base sequels in this future?  That’s where there are so much more storylines to mine.  T:S was so refreshing compared to these last 2 duds. 

Salvation could have been awesome.  MKe that a hard R, remove Sam Worthington and do a couple other things and that future war angle could have been awesome.  

3 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Taking place in the future and Anton Yelchin are the only things that movie should get any praise for. Bale was awful, McG had no idea what to do, they wussed out on a potentially bone-chilling ending that would have taken the franchise Inna completely new direction, Worthington has no charisma whatsoever, and so much more.

The setting was awesome, but the movie sucked.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Taking place in the future and Anton Yelchin are the only things that movie should get any praise for. Bale was awful, McG had no idea what to do, they wussed out on a potentially bone-chilling ending that would have taken the franchise Inna completely new direction, Worthington has no charisma whatsoever, and so much more.

The setting was awesome, but the movie sucked.

It was T2 compared to Genysis and most likely this new one tho.