Terminator - Dark Fate

Uncle Buck

4 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

I miss the days when we had two critics, Siskel and Ebert, and Ebert hated 80% of the movies he watched.

I remember when I was younger, watching their TV show and wondering how I could get rich reviewing movies. xD

Those were real film critics...the closest we have to them now are from smaller YouTube channels and blogs.

I like the Mad About Movies podcast to review movies because when they are actually talking about the movies they do a real good job dissecting the pros and cons, but my big issue is they have no balls when it comes to rating the movies.  I've heard them tear into a movie for a good 20-25 minutes and then give it a B/B- when it really should have been a D+/C- type of grade based on their discussion.  Half of their reviews are spoiler review though, so I only listen to movies I have already watched. 

I haven't seen any of the past 2 Terminator movies, and i'm not sure if this one will get me to watch or not either.  I still contend that T3 is a solid movie.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:47 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

I remember when I was younger, watching their TV show and wondering how I could get rich reviewing movies. xD

Those were real film critics...the closest we have to them now are from smaller YouTube channels and blogs.

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I like the Mad About Movies podcast to review movies because when they are actually talking about the movies they do a real good job dissecting the pros and cons, but my big issue is they have no balls when it comes to rating the movies.  I've heard them tear into a movie for a good 20-25 minutes and then give it a B/B- when it really should have been a D+/C- type of grade based on their discussion.  Half of their reviews are spoiler review though, so I only listen to movies I have already watched. 

I haven't seen any of the past 2 Terminator movies, and i'm not sure if this one will get me to watch or not either.  I still contend that T3 is a solid movie.

redlettermedia is the best current imo

Well after a long wait, I just got back from watching this, the final installment of the Terminator franchise.  I won't give away any spoilers.  About all I can say is that I was afraid going in that this was going to be a disappointment.  In the end, I have to say that it was actually a pretty decent movie.  Time travel movies, by their very nature, are hard to keep fresh with each new installment.  Considering how long it has been since the original Terminator, and how much the world of technology has changed in that time, I think they did a pretty good job.  There were a few things I would have done differently if I were making the movie myself, but I won't go into that for a while until everyone has had the chance to see it.

Overall, I'd give it a good, solid 7.5 stars out of a possible 10.  Worth watching for closure, and there were also some pretty good action/fight scenes, even if some of them looked familiar to past Terminator or even other action/sci-fi movies.  If you are a fan of the franchise, don't expect it to be as good as the first two, but at the same time, it is still well worth seeing. 

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Or just stop making them because the originals were perfect.

Yeah.  A remake of the original is not going to do anything except hurt the franchise even more.   There is very little you can do to improve on 1 and 2.

However, since Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and afraid to take chances anymore...it will likely happen, eventually.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Or just stop making them because the originals were perfect.

I don’t understand this aversion to remakes.  Remakes do not take the original out of circulation.  You can still watch the original.  90% chance it’s a dud, but 10% chance it’s great.  My favorite movie of all time is a remake.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t understand this aversion to remakes.  Remakes do not take the original out of circulation.  You can still watch the original.  90% chance it’s a dud, but 10% chance it’s great.  My favorite movie of all time is a remake.  

I don't have aversions to remakes. I have aversions to Hollywood milking a franchise beyond death and then people throwing out an idea to remake it, thus continuing the cycle.

If we wanna talk about aversions to things...how about you with prequels?

• Like 2

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I don't have aversions to remakes. I have aversions to Hollywood milking a franchise beyond death and then people throwing out an idea to remake it, thus continuing the cycle.

If we wanna talk about aversions to things...how about you with prequels?

You can’t talk about my aversions because they don’t help me make a point.

Remake of Terminator is a bad idea for Hollywood since they don’t get it.  I agree.  That’s why they need to let me do it.  

Personally, I like the idea of EQUALS.  Movies that take place at the same time as the original.  That is the best way to try to do these things.  Gives fresh new characters in a familiar setting.  Doesn’t **** with the original.  

However, I still think a remake could be good for Terminator if there will be more Terminator movies. 

The lore is there. 
The characters are there.
The technology to make it what it needs to be is there. 

Arnold and Linda are no longer there. 

Gotta remove the stupid fan service.  These movies feel old AF right now because they keep using the same damn dialogue.  "I'll be back," should never, ever, ever, ever have been used in any of the sequels.  It worked in T2 because of Arnold going from bad to good, but none of the following movies should have used it.  That's one of the biggest issues with Hollywood right now.  They're so desperate for scriptwriters who can come up with original dialogue.  The same ****ing **** happened with the Predator franchise.  You get a movie with incredible dialogue, dialogue so good it's quotable 30 years later, and instead of coming up with better dialogue they just repeat the same lines. 

I just really think there could be a good Terminator remake.  Modernize it a little bit. 

Go into it with the assumption that nobody knows the story.  Start in the future with John Connor and Kyle Reese and give a glimpse of the future war and show the conversation John has with Kyle where he has to balance what he knows with what Kyle cannot know.  Telling him he's gonna bone his mom and die... Wouldn't work. 

Eh, I'd go on, but I'm not getting paid to tell Hollywood how to do their job. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You can’t talk about my aversions because they don’t help me make a point.

Remake of Terminator is a bad idea for Hollywood since they don’t get it.  I agree.  That’s why they need to let me do it.  

Personally, I like the idea of EQUALS.  Movies that take place at the same time as the original.  That is the best way to try to do these things.  Gives fresh new characters in a familiar setting.  Doesn’t **** with the original.  

I love "equals". Stories that take place in the world and expand it but don't always involve the same 5-10 people over and over again. That's why I was so pumped for the Fantastic Beasts movies. I love Harry Potter and the idea of exploring that world was awesome...but then just about EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE was somehow connected to the main story. They shrunk the world. Horrible.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I love "equals". Stories that take place in the world and expand it but don't always involve the same 5-10 people over and over again. That's why I was so pumped for the Fantastic Beasts movies. I love Harry Potter and the idea of exploring that world was awesome...but then just about EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE was somehow connected to the main story. They shrunk the world. Horrible.

Fantastic Beasts was seriously the worst.