Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

8 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Watching that game this morning, I surely thought the umpires had placed their bets on the Hawks.  Those two free kicks on "low tackles" (one on Jordan Lewis) were horrible calls.  

Eh, not so sure about that.  The two free kicks you are talking about were definitely very bad calls, but overall I think Melbourne received more favourable decisions/non-decisions.

Overall, it's just a representation of the low quality of umpiring in the AFL at present - fans like to claim biases or conspiracies, but it's usually just the umps not being that good

• Like 1

On 15/09/2018 at 10:16 AM, drd23 said:

Eh, not so sure about that.  The two free kicks you are talking about were definitely very bad calls, but overall I think Melbourne received more favourable decisions/non-decisions.

Overall, it's just a representation of the low quality of umpiring in the AFL at present - fans like to claim biases or conspiracies, but it's usually just the umps not being that good

I think the outcome of the free-kick tends to matter more in terms of perceived bias.

Both the below the knees calls led directly to goals for the Hawks which will tend to highlight those calls more so than maybe missed push in the back or a missed holding the ball call in the centre square.

• Like 1

4 of the top 5 teams on the ladder playing for a spot in the Grand Final.  The AFL has to be pretty happy about that.  

While I think the Pies have played very well,  I am not sure if anyone is going to knock off the defending premiers. (That is, if Dusty is healthy.  I keep seeing bits of info trickling out that says he may not be 100%).

As far as the Eagles/Dees clash, I think playing at Optus Stadium is a huge advantage for the Eagles, but without Nic Nat, I don't know if they've got an answer for Max Gawn.  I'm going to go with the Dees.  

I'll be able to watch most of the Tigers/Pies game in the morning, but the Eagles/Dees game will be one I watch on Saturday morning, when I get up.

On 19/09/2018 at 11:24 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

4 of the top 5 teams on the ladder playing for a spot in the Grand Final.  The AFL has to be pretty happy about that.  

While I think the Pies have played very well,  I am not sure if anyone is going to knock off the defending premiers. (That is, if Dusty is healthy.  I keep seeing bits of info trickling out that says he may not be 100%).

As far as the Eagles/Dees clash, I think playing at Optus Stadium is a huge advantage for the Eagles, but without Nic Nat, I don't know if they've got an answer for Max Gawn.  I'm going to go with the Dees.  

I'll be able to watch most of the Tigers/Pies game in the morning, but the Eagles/Dees game will be one I watch on Saturday morning, when I get up.

Dusty is an interesting one - First it was a corkie, then a really bad corkie the bled into his knee a bit, now I'm hearing rumors that it may be a knee injury as opposed to a corkie. Will be very interesting to see how he comes through.

Dees vs West Coast will depend on how well the Melbourne back 6 deal with the West Coast Forward line. I think Melbourme's midfield has it all over West Coast and at least match if not surpass their back 6 with our front 6, the Kennedy/Darling/Rioli/Ryan/LeCras/Cripps front 6 is arguably the best in the AFL and will provide plenty of problems. If we can create pressure through half forward and the midfield casuing turnovers before the can get the ball to their forwards and at least impact how good the delivery is I think that goes a long way to winning.

I'm hoping we see Harmes spend some time on Yeo who has been instrumental in driving West Coast forward without Gaff.

12 hours ago, khodder said:

Dusty is an interesting one - First it was a corkie, then a really bad corkie the bled into his knee a bit, now I'm hearing rumors that it may be a knee injury as opposed to a corkie. Will be very interesting to see how he comes through.

Dees vs West Coast will depend on how well the Melbourne back 6 deal with the West Coast Forward line. I think Melbourme's midfield has it all over West Coast and at least match if not surpass their back 6 with our front 6, the Kennedy/Darling/Rioli/Ryan/LeCras/Cripps front 6 is arguably the best in the AFL and will provide plenty of problems. If we can create pressure through half forward and the midfield casuing turnovers before the can get the ball to their forwards and at least impact how good the delivery is I think that goes a long way to winning.

I'm hoping we see Harmes spend some time on Yeo who has been instrumental in driving West Coast forward without Gaff.

I love watching Liam Ryan play the game.  If West Coast is adamant about wanting to bring Tim Kelly back to Perth, and I'm the Cats list manager, he would be the first name that I ask for in return.  

The Finals are set.  West Coast Eagles vs. Collingwood Magpies.

Will fans of Victorian clubs back the Pies?  Over 100 thousand will be at the Melbourne Cricket Grounds next Friday night/Saturday morning (12:30 a.m. start on the east coast).  If you find a way to watch, I encourage you to do so.

It should be a ripper.  Collingwood has an American, Mason Cox a 6'11" former Oklahoma State Cowboys basketball player making a HUGE contribution to the team.

Highlights from the preliminary finals...

Richmond Tigers vs. Collingwood Magpies

West Coast Eagles vs. Melbourne Demons

• 3 months later...

The Women's AFL season begins on February 2nd, with the clubs playing a 7 game schedule.  

AFLX (which is played on a smaller, soccer field size facility (possibly for the hopes of exporting the game elsewhere) begins play in late February, intermixed with the preseason games before the mid-March start to the season.  

The regular season is already marred by the loss of the 2018 Brownlow Medal (MVP) winner, Tom Mitchell, to a tib/fib fracture during his first practice session of 2019.  A huge loss for the Hawthorn Hawks to overcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...