Bucketheadsdad

Australian Rules Football -- The 2018 Finals are upon us!

8 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Watching that game this morning, I surely thought the umpires had placed their bets on the Hawks.  Those two free kicks on "low tackles" (one on Jordan Lewis) were horrible calls.  

Eh, not so sure about that.  The two free kicks you are talking about were definitely very bad calls, but overall I think Melbourne received more favourable decisions/non-decisions.

Overall, it's just a representation of the low quality of umpiring in the AFL at present - fans like to claim biases or conspiracies, but it's usually just the umps not being that good

On 15/09/2018 at 10:16 AM, drd23 said:

Eh, not so sure about that.  The two free kicks you are talking about were definitely very bad calls, but overall I think Melbourne received more favourable decisions/non-decisions.

Overall, it's just a representation of the low quality of umpiring in the AFL at present - fans like to claim biases or conspiracies, but it's usually just the umps not being that good

I think the outcome of the free-kick tends to matter more in terms of perceived bias.

Both the below the knees calls led directly to goals for the Hawks which will tend to highlight those calls more so than maybe missed push in the back or a missed holding the ball call in the centre square.

4 of the top 5 teams on the ladder playing for a spot in the Grand Final.  The AFL has to be pretty happy about that.  

While I think the Pies have played very well,  I am not sure if anyone is going to knock off the defending premiers. (That is, if Dusty is healthy.  I keep seeing bits of info trickling out that says he may not be 100%).

As far as the Eagles/Dees clash, I think playing at Optus Stadium is a huge advantage for the Eagles, but without Nic Nat, I don't know if they've got an answer for Max Gawn.  I'm going to go with the Dees.  

I'll be able to watch most of the Tigers/Pies game in the morning, but the Eagles/Dees game will be one I watch on Saturday morning, when I get up.