Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

Tom Hawkins' one match ban upheld by the tribunal.  

Cats head into the preliminary final against the hottest team in the comp without their big forward, and possibly three others in their normal 22 (Mitch Duncan and Gary Rohan along with Jordan Clark, who just had elbow surgery.)

Friday is going to be a Herculean task for the Cats, facing a relatively healthy (Alex Rance) Tigers club.  

On 9/11/2017 at 7:43 PM, drd23 said:

I won't tell you which team to pick, but I will tell you which ones you shouldn't

- GWS & Gold Coast - they are new expansion franchises that are resented by a lot of fans because they lack the history/culture of other teams and were manufactured by the league with significant draft concessions
- Brisbane - they are a mess off the field and will take a long time to be any good, if ever
- Hawthorn - picking them would be the same as a new NFL fan picking the Patriots - you'll look like a bandwagon fan
- Collingwood - probably my bias showing as my team has somewhat of a rivalry with them, but you'd be joining the most "redneck" fan base in the league

I was bored and started reading through this entire thread.  

Two years ago.  :)  I think that Chris Fagan has helped get them turned around.  I really enjoy watching the Lions play as well.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Two years ago.  :)  I think that Chris Fagan has helped get them turned around.  I really enjoy watching the Lions play as well.

I did acknowledge in this thread at the start of this year that it had looked like they had turned things around ;)

That said, I didn't seriously think they'd end the regular season 2nd on the ladder though O.o

• Like 1

The Grand Final is set.

Richmond strangled off the Cats offense off in the 2nd half to gain the first spot.  GWS shocked the world (OK, those that watch footy) by holding off the heavily favored Magpies.

Next Saturday morning 12:30 a.m. (on the east coast of the US)

Richmond Tigers vs. Great Western Sydney.  

Toby Greene is relieved.

16 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

oh there’s a big big sound in the west of the town it’s the sound of the mighty giants!!

finally finally my local afl team has made it to the big dance and hopefully they can get up

I had to get up early to announce 3 soccer games this morning, so I haven't seen the game (or the score yet).  I'm going to watch the game in about 5 hours.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

Did you sit through the whole thing?  I gave half way through the second quarter as it was obvious then it was going to be a blow-out, and the poor umpiring and incredibly biased and OTT commentary was already annoying enough

I did watch the entire game.  I waited almost 18 hours to watch, and it is the last footy til AFLW begins, so I absolutely watched.  :) 

9 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

I am a tigers fan and after half time I found the game boring. The first quarter was great then the tigers ran away with it.

WAs hoping for a good close game it’s a shame the giants played there worst game ever on the day.

I posted this on August 15th.  --> Richmond's list has been ravaged by injuries this year, but with the exception of top defender Alex Rance, they're getting healthy at the right time.  Definitely a force to be reckoned with during the finals.

Congratulations on the win.  That was a total domination.  

I sure wish that Tom Hawkins wouldn't have been a selfish jerk when he decided to punch Schofield in the head.  Not sure if he'd have made a difference, but it sure would have been nice to find out.  If the Tigers/Cats matchup was an MMA match, Cats won the first two rounds on points, but the Tigers put the Cats into a rear naked choke submission hold in the 3rd round.

Now the fun begins.  Does Ablett lace up the boots one more time?  Harry Taylor?  

What happens with Tim Kelly?  Does he stay in Geelong, or do they get an adequate return from WC or Freo. 

(Of course, those are all issues for the Cats.  I haven't delved to deeply into other teams issues yet.)

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I posted this on August 15th.  --> Richmond's list has been ravaged by injuries this year, but with the exception of top defender Alex Rance, they're getting healthy at the right time.  Definitely a force to be reckoned with during the finals.

Congratulations on the win.  That was a total domination.  

I sure wish that Tom Hawkins wouldn't have been a selfish jerk when he decided to punch Schofield in the head.  Not sure if he'd have made a difference, but it sure would have been nice to find out.  If the Tigers/Cats matchup was an MMA match, Cats won the first two rounds on points, but the Tigers put the Cats into a rear naked choke submission hold in the 3rd round.

Now the fun begins.  Does Ablett lace up the boots one more time?  Harry Taylor?  

What happens with Tim Kelly?  Does he stay in Geelong, or do they get an adequate return from WC or Freo. 

(Of course, those are all issues for the Cats.  I haven't delved to deeply into other teams issues yet.)

I think Kelly heads to either west coast or Fremantle, with west coast bring his preferred team but Fremantle being able to offer a better trade return. I believe 4 times st Kilda best and fairest jack Steven is headed to Geelong for little compensation. So that should help make up for loss of Kelly somewhat. As for Harry Taylor and Ablett I think Ablett goes again for 1 More shot at premiership but Taylor I think hangs it up.

My tigers will lose Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast and a few fringe players but that’s More to salary cap concerns. Plus we Rance back next year his a great in.

i love the fact grand final is over and basically the next week trade season starts 

• Like 1