Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

HUGE  weekend of games this weekend.

Richmond/Collingwood  Rematch of preliminary final, with the Tigers missing two key defenders (Rance, Houli)

Geelong/Melbourne  Maybe the biggest game of the weekend.  Melbourne laid an egg round 1, and Geelong is coming off a big win against the Magpies.  If they win, it is a great boost to their confidence with their difficult first quarter of their fixture.

West Coast/GWS  The defending Premiers are coming off a big loss to up and coming Brisbane.  Was that loss just a hiccup?  Probably, but GWS is a very solid club, and pounded Essendon last weekend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Magpies destroyed the Tigers this morning.  Very glad that the Cats got them in Round 1, and not again, unless they meet in the finals.  Pies are a very, very good club.

Disappointed that the Tigers lost to the Pies.

I've disliked the Pies since day one. Good team though.

Good thing your team won against them.

• Like 1

Didnt see any of the games today.

Saw a bit of the Geelong game while I was working, but I opted to sleep in.

Watching the games live on this side of the world isnt easy(I dont know how you do it @Bucketheadsdad) especially when you have a hard time sleeping when you want like me.

Im gonna try and catch the games TSN shows, aswell as the highlights and whatever else I can get my hands on. 

Edited by Hail Mary
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hail Mary said:

Didnt see any of the games today.

Saw a bit of the Geelong game while I was working, but I opted to sleep in.

Watching the games live on this side of the world isnt easy(I dont know how you do it @Bucketheadsdad) especially when you have a hard time sleeping when you want like me.

Im gonna try and catch the games TSN shows, aswell as the highlights and whatever else I can get my hands on. 

I watched Richmond/Collingwood on Thursday morning, and Sydney/Adelaide yesterday morning.  Up at 4:00 a.m. to watch the Cats play today.  Really great game today, and they have quite a few players that can score from tham now, rather than just Dangerfield and Hawkins.  Opponents are going to have to rethink tagging Dangerfield, because how they can get scoring from Dahlhaus, Rohan and Kelly.

34 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I watched Richmond/Collingwood on Thursday morning, and Sydney/Adelaide yesterday morning.  Up at 4:00 a.m. to watch the Cats play today.  Really great game today, and they have quite a few players that can score from tham now, rather than just Dangerfield and Hawkins.  Opponents are going to have to rethink tagging Dangerfield, because how they can get scoring from Dahlhaus, Rohan and Kelly.

I dont know how you do it.

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

Now you guys know what us Aussies go through to watch our NFL teams ;)

(Admittedly we don't need to do it multiple times a weekend, and not for as many weeks though)

...and I'm enjoying every moment of it.  Helps that I'm a morning person.....and a night owl.  

• Like 1

If either of you guys watch the Essendon-Melbourne game from earlier today and don't understand some of the umpiring, don't worry.  Neither did the majority of fans watching here.  There were a number of truly baffling decisions given against both sides that ruined the flow of the game (particularly early on).

Unfortunately umpiring in the AFL early in the season every year can make the standard of reffing in the NFL look good

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

If either of you guys watch the Essendon-Melbourne game from earlier today and don't understand some of the umpiring, don't worry.  Neither did the majority of fans watching here.  There were a number of truly baffling decisions given against both sides that ruined the flow of the game (particularly early on).

Unfortunately umpiring in the AFL early in the season every year can make the standard of reffing in the NFL look good

The umpiring was terrible.  Of course, that might be what you get when #17 plays #18.  ;)  Thrilled that the Cats won again.  

Just finished watching the Eagles/Pies game, and the Eagles played like the defending premiers.  As soon as that finished, I flipped over to the Brisbane game.  (For the record, I had them in my top 8 this year.)  Playing very well at the moment.  

On 3/22/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Not as excited as I am now!  :)  What a great start to the year.  The Cats 1st 6 weeks on the fixture is an absolute nightmare.  If they get through it at least 3-3, it sets up well for the rest of the season.  

Was up at 4:30 a.m. to watch the 1st half at home, then drove to work during halftime.  Watched the 2nd half in my classroom (I'm a HS teacher) before the kids came in.  Screaming my head off.  

Looking forward to the Dees/Power tonight.  Not sure what to make of the Power.  They have the potential to be a very solid team, but they might be the biggest enigma in the comp.  

I posted these in a FB msg board.  This is my ladder prediction for this year.  (Before the opening two games.)

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Collingwood
4. Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. GWS
7. Geelong
8. Brisbane
9. Hawthorn
10. Port Adelaide
11. Sydney
12. Carlton
13. Essendon
14. Freemantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Western 
17. Gold Coast
18. St. Kilda

Brisbane is the team that I think makes a big leap this year.  

I am beyond impressed with the way the Cats are playing thus far, and the Tigers have been an absolute disappointment this year.  They were thrashed by the Giants today, and lost two more players to injury.  

• Like 1