Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

16 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Did Rd. 11 have a preview of the top 4 match ups in the finals?  Power/Tigers, Cats/Saints?  Maybe......I'm sure the Lions and Eagles will have something to say about it.

Yeah i think you might be right i like eagles to knock out the saints for the top 4 spot. Lions just missing out. 

Then you still have Giants and Pies making finals leaves only 1 spot  for saints bombers other teams to fight over. So chance saints dont even make finals let alone top 4.

1 hour ago, Aussie9er said:

Yeah i think you might be right i like eagles to knock out the saints for the top 4 spot. Lions just missing out. 

Then you still have Giants and Pies making finals leaves only 1 spot  for saints bombers other teams to fight over. So chance saints dont even make finals let alone top 4.

Magpies are so beat up right now, that they'll need to get healthy in order to creep up the ladder.

5 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Magpies are so beat up right now, that they'll need to get healthy in order to creep up the ladder.

Just trust the Pies more than Saints to cover injuries plus saints have a tough next two games Bombers and Lions where as Pies have Demons and North Melb

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think I spoke too soon gws might be team to miss out just finished watching them getting easily beat by Sydney who have been poor.  They didn’t ever look like winning tonight never seen such a talent team been so poor coached they were so poorly organised from the start were never in it.
And doesn’t get any easier for gws next up west coast in Perth

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

I think I spoke too soon gws might be team to miss out just finished watching them getting easily beat by Sydney who have been poor.  They didn’t ever look like winning tonight never seen such a talent team been so poor coached they were so poorly organised from the start were never in it.
And doesn’t get any easier for gws next up west coast in Perth

I watched the first half, and had to check out to do an interview for an upcoming episode.  Just sitting down for the 2nd half now, and on a zoom call at 10:00.  Then, maybe a short nap.  :) 

20 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I watched the first half, and had to check out to do an interview for an upcoming episode.  Just sitting down for the 2nd half now, and on a zoom call at 10:00.  Then, maybe a short nap.  :) 

Just heard something while waiting for cats vs port to start

Patrick Dangerfield has never played in a grand final at any level of football. So never played in championship game while at school, junior football, afl. Find it hard to fathom that a Brownlow winner has never been in one. If you don’t make grand final picks his year I am so blaming him. 

• Like 1

Awesome win by the cats did not see a 10 goal thumping of Port Adelaide coming. They have to be favorites for flag now.  And how awesome did Hawkins look last night a game winner by himself in this kind of form

Now on my thoughts on final contenders 

Port just look a year away from being premiership bound the losses this year have come against Lions, Cats, St Kilda. They remind me of the Lions last year where they lack of finals experience was there undoing in the finals. Considering didn't play finals last yea this year is already a huge success.

Brisbane look dangerous but they still have trouble up forward they are the least accurate kicking team in the league and sooner or later this will cost them like it did in last years finals. Only reason i think they are near top of the table is cos the Queensland factor and the hub they hardly had to travel this year as the Victorian teams start to get use to the hub life imagine its going to get tougher. Just look at today they got a 1 pt win over 2nd bottom side in the kangaroos.

Geelong Cats they look like team to beat. Have best key forward in Hawkins and the other forwards like rohan and meirs etc know there roles and always pop up with a couple. Great midfield and defense units. Only area where they are vulnerable is there rucks are pretty average and other concern is have the peaked too early.  But when you throw in the players they will get back soon in ablett and dalhouse those concerns don't seem that hard to overcome. 

West Coast is the other team in really good form only problem is they are leaving wa soon where they are unbeatable to head to hub where they cant win for rest of the year. Saying it now  West coast wins it all only if they get home finals and the Grand Final is in Perth otherwise they aint winning it. They have only beaten Sydney and Crows away from Perth this year. 

St Kilda is in same boat as port they need another year to be a real title contender especially now with there injuries adding up. Still aslong as they make finals i would consider this season a huge success

Richmond Tigers my team is hard for me to be unbiased judge of this year but with all our injuries we have done ok so far. Unless we play our best we aren't doing much in the finals especially with no mcg home factor. 

Collingwood i can't believe my view on them has changed in just 1 day. They aren't making finals or if they do manage it they are getting knocked out in first round. I thought they could manage all there injuries with good coaching that all changed come today. There was a high chance of rain for todays game against Melbourne so what do they do they choose the tallest forward lineup for the year in a day where if it rained they would;d be at such a disadvantage. The fact they loss to Melbourne isn't as bad as selecting a squad for the game in my opinion had very little chance of success when it rained which it did after half time. 

GWS is arguable the most talented team in the league but there a team of individuals that don't do the little things you need to win. Throw in there poor structure and poor coaching they aint doing anything and it wouldn't surprise me if they miss finals altogether. 

Most likely in my opinion to make the 8 from outside Melbourne or Essendon or if you like a roughie fremantle. Even if any of these teams make the finals they aren't doing much but making up the numbers. 

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1

@Aussie9er Great write up.  I'm of course, cautiously optimistic regarding the Cats.  Interesting discussion after the game Sunday evening about whether or not the Giants go back on their "gentleman's agreement" to give Leon Cameron a new contract for next year.  David King argued that it would gut their ability to bring people into the club, as they'd have lost their ability for people to trust them.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:48 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

@Aussie9er Great write up.  I'm of course, cautiously optimistic regarding the Cats.  Interesting discussion after the game Sunday evening about whether or not the Giants go back on their "gentleman's agreement" to give Leon Cameron a new contract for next year.  David King argued that it would gut their ability to bring people into the club, as they'd have lost their ability for people to trust them.

i would so go back on that gentleman agreement.  They have taken a step back as a club one game away from champions till looking nowhere near good enough to win this year that can be the reason for letting him ago especially if they dont make finals.

Then throw in there will have to be some cost cutting to make up for lost money this year due to covid. Which to me means smaller lists and an decrease in the salary cap means they wont be bringing players into the club especially with there free agents at the end of the year. Cameron, Zac Williams, Aiden Corr to name there most important ones. 

Saying that with the news today that sidebottom leaving hub to head back to melb for family issues means he wont play again this season for Collingwood means they are more likely to miss finals than gws now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

i would so go back on that gentleman agreement.  They have taken a step back as a club one game away from champions till looking nowhere near good enough to win this year that can be the reason for letting him ago especially if they dont make finals.

Then throw in there will have to be some cost cutting to make up for lost money this year due to covid. Which to me means smaller lists and an decrease in the salary cap means they wont be bringing players into the club especially with there free agents at the end of the year. Cameron, Zac Williams, Aiden Corr to name there most important ones. 

Saying that with the news today that sidebottom leaving hub to head back to melb for family issues means he wont play again this season for Collingwood means they are more likely to miss finals than gws now. 

I tipped North against Collingwood this week, simply because of the sheer volume of injuries.  

I just fire cameron now from gws after last weeks effort you think they have more energy and the will to put points on the board so what do they do they kick 1 goal in the first 2 quarters against west coast. i know they ended up losing by a little bit but most of the scoring was done once west coast took there foot off the gas. And next up is the dockers who arent an easy beat in perth.

Come on north beat pies on monday.

Just announced where this year is going to be played in Brisbane at the Gabba also night time grand final. All firsts.

Really disappointed its not in Perth with the best stadium in Australia or Adelaide much better stadium than Gabba. But i guess they got it for hosting all the teams in the hub and afl wants to grow the game in Queensland. Who cares if you could have 65000 in Perth compared to 42000 at Gabba. 

Unless my tigers or west coast (local team) make grand final won't be watching this years. First time i will not be watch it in 30 plus years.

• Like 1