Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

Cracking game of football for 3rd quarters with Richmond running away in the 4th. 

Geelong had their chances especially in the 2nd quarter i struggled to watch that quarter and thought geelong were going to run away with it then dusty kicked that goal just before half time. 

Dusty has to be the best big game player in the afl at the moment 3 grand finals 3 norm smith medals. His 4 goals tonight were all great goals. 

Sad to see Ablett get hurt in the first but showed his a true champion by trying to play thru the pain. Dislocated shoulder and still play unbelievable.  

• Like 2

Tigers played a perfect 2nd half.  There was nothing the Cats could do properly.  Hawkins marginalized, and was a non-factor.  Leads me to believe that maybe the Cameron trade is a necessity to help require opponents to look elsewhere when the Cats get the ball in the forward 50.  (of course that didnt happen much in the 2nd half).  

To this day, I don't think I have ever seen Dusty kick a set shot.  Every goal I can recall him kicking is a result of him slashing through or picking up something on the run. (not complaining about that at all, but I think if he had a "regular job", he'd be doing this here, as it is very similar to how he goes about scoring.  I was talking with someone today who referred to him as "suddenly opportunistic."  A great way to describe him.

Animated GIF

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a really hectic last day of the trade period. 

Here are all the trades. 

Nick Hind to Essendon

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Essendon receives Nick Hind and a fourth-round pick (currently No.77)

St Kilda receives two fourth-round picks (currently No.67 and No.74)

Jeremy Cameron to Geelong

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Geelong receives Jeremy Cameron and two future second-round selections (tied to Essendon)

Greater Western Sydney receives three first-round picks (currently No.13, No.15 and No.20) and a future fourth-round selection

Adam Treloar to Western Bulldogs

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Western Bulldogs receive Adam Treloar, two second-round picks (currently No.26 and No.33) and a third-round pick (currently No.42)

Collingwood receives a first-round pick (currently No.14) and a future second-round selection

Jye Caldwell to Essendon

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Essendon receives Jye Caldwell, a third-round pick (currently No.44) and a fourth-round pick (currently No.74)

Greater Western Sydney receives a second-round pick (currently No.29) and a future second-round selection

Tom Phillips to Hawthorn

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Hawthorn receives Tom Phillips

Collingwood receives a fourth-round pick (currently No.65)

Orazio Fantasia to Port Adelaide

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Port Adelaide receives Orazio Fantasia and a fourth-round pick (currently No.73)

Essendon receives a second-round pick (currently No.29) and a future third-round selectionFROM: PORT ADELAIDE

Pick Swap: Dees, Lions in blockbuster first-round shuffle

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Melbourne receives two first-round picks (currently No.18 and No.19) and a future second-round selection

Brisbane receives a second-round pick (currently No.25), two fourth-round picks (currently No.68 and No.69) and a future first-round selection

TRADE

November 12, 2020

North Melbourne receives Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi and a second-round pick (currently No.39)

Collingwood receives a second-round pick (currently No.26), a second-round pick (currently No.33) and a fourth-round pick (currently No.70)

TRADE

November 12, 2020

West Coast receives Alex Witherden and a fifth-round pick (currently No.86)

Brisbane receives a third-round pick (currently No.58) and a future third-round selection

Jack Higgins to St Kilda

TRADE

November 12, 2020

St Kilda receives Jack Higgins, a first-round pick (currently No.21) and a future fourth-round selection

Richmond receives a first-round pick (currently No.17) and a future second-round selection

Ben Brown to Melbourne

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Melbourne receives Ben Brown, a second-round pick (No.28) and a future fourth-round selection

North Melbourne receives two second-round picks (currently No.26 and No.33) and a future fourth-round selection (tied to Brisbane)

Pick Swap: Dees move up, Swans get more points

TRADE

November 12, 2020

Melbourne receives a second-round pick (currently No.25)

Sydney receives a second-round pick (currently No.31) and a third-round pick (currently No.43)

Tom Hickey to Sydney

TRADE

November 11, 2020

Sydney receives Tom Hickey, a second-round pick (currently No.34) and a third-round pick (currently No.60)

West Coast receives a third-round pick (currently No.58), a fourth-round pick (currently No.62), a future second-round selection (tied to Port Adelaide) and a future third-round selection

Shaun Higgins to Geelong

TRADE

November 11, 2020

Geelong receives Shaun Higgins

North Melbourne receives a second-round pick (currently No.30)

Aliir Aliir to Port Adelaide

TRADE

November 11, 2020

Port Adelaide receives Aliir Aliir

Sydney receives a future second-round selection

Adam Saad to Carlton

TRADE

November 11, 2020

Carlton receives Adam Saad, a third-round pick (currently No.48) and a fourth-round pick (currently No.78)

Essendon receives a first-round pick (currently No.8) and a fifth-round pick (currently No.87)

Nakia Cockatoo to Brisbane

TRADE

November 11, 2020

Brisbane receives Nakia Cockatoo

Geelong receives a future third-round selection (tied to Melbourne)

Lachie Fogarty to Carlton

TRADE

November 11, 2020

Carlton receives Lachie Fogarty and a second-round pick (currently No.38)

Geelong receives a second-round pick (currently No.30) and a third-round pick (currently No.51)

Stefan Martin to Western Bulldogs, Lachie Young to North Melbourne

TRADE

November 10, 2020

Western Bulldogs receive Stefan Martin

Brisbane receives a fourth-round pick (currently No.63)

North Melbourne receives Lachie Young

North Melbourne receives a fourth-round pick (currently No.70)

Braydon Preuss to Greater Western Sydney

TRADE

November 10, 2020

Greater Western Sydney receives Braydon Preuss

Melbourne receives a second-round pick (currently No.31)

Mitch Hannan to Western Bulldogs

TRADE

November 10, 2020

Western Bulldogs receive Mitch Hannan

Melbourne receives a future third-round selection

Pick Swap: Dees offload future picks to get more 2020 capital

TRADE

November 10, 2020

Melbourne receives a second-round pick (currently No.33) and a third-round pick (currently No.50)

Adelaide receives a future second-round selection and a future fourth-round selection

Peter Wright to Essendon

TRADE

November 10, 2020

Essendon receives Peter Wright

Gold Coast receives a future fourth-round selection

Pick Swap: Lions help Demons move up the order

TRADE

November 6, 2020

Brisbane receives a third-round pick (currently No.53) and a future third-round selection

Melbourne receives a third-round pick (currently No.43) and a future fourth-round selection

Kyle Hartigan to Hawthorn

TRADE

November 5, 2020

Hawthorn receives Kyle Hartigan

Adelaide receives a future fourth-round selection

Jesse Hogan to Greater Western Sydney

TRADE

November 4, 2020

Greater Western Sydney receives Jesse Hogan

Fremantle receives a third-round pick (currently No.54)

Oleg Markov to Gold Coast

TRADE

November 4, 2020

Gold Coast receives Oleg Markov

Richmond receives a future third-round selection

Zac Langdon to West Coast

TRADE

November 4, 2020

West Coast receives Zac Langdon

GWS receives a third-round pick (currently No.54)

• Like 1

You can now only trade picks up to and during the draft no players can be traded. 

Winners of trade period.

Geelong - Added Jeremy Cameron and Higgins which should make them favorite for flag next season. Only downside paying 3 1st round picks for Cameron but if wins a flag who cares. 

Western Bulldogs - Traloar, Martin and Hannan all good quality gets and paid unders for all of them. 

Carlton - Williams and Saad are both great gets with only parting their first round pick. 

St Kilda - Crouch and Higgins and still have a 1st round pick. Both great players should push for top 4 next year. 

West Coast - Alex Witherden for 2 3rd round picks might be steal of the draft. 

Losers 

Collingwood - Losing Phillips, Traloar, Stephenson all on the cheap due to cap constraints was bad but it was the way they acted not bothering to tell players they were getting traded players had to ring the club to find out that they were out the door not a good look. 

Brisbane - Adding injury prone players Daniher and Cockotoo while losing Martin (no ruck depth) and Witherden (good young back) made them worse than last year for me especially if daniher and cockotoo cant stay healthy which i would bet on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

You can now only trade picks up to and during the draft no players can be traded. 

Winners of trade period.

Geelong - Added Jeremy Cameron and Higgins which should make them favorite for flag next season. Only downside paying 3 1st round picks for Cameron but if wins a flag who cares. 

Western Bulldogs - Traloar, Martin and Hannan all good quality gets and paid unders for all of them. 

Carlton - Williams and Saad are both great gets with only parting their first round pick. 

St Kilda - Crouch and Higgins and still have a 1st round pick. Both great players should push for top 4 next year. 

West Coast - Alex Witherden for 2 3rd round picks might be steal of the draft. 

Losers 

Collingwood - Losing Phillips, Traloar, Stephenson all on the cheap due to cap constraints was bad but it was the way they acted not bothering to tell players they were getting traded players had to ring the club to find out that they were out the door not a good look. 

Brisbane - Adding injury prone players Daniher and Cockotoo while losing Martin (no ruck depth) and Witherden (good young back) made them worse than last year for me especially if daniher and cockotoo cant stay healthy which i would bet on. 

Cockatoo (sad to see him go) was healthy from the hips down (his hamstrings had been issues the last couple years) all season.  He broke his wrist before Rd. 17.  He'd played well in the 2's.  He and Cameron together are going to be a terror.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK.....I had something rather bizarre (and exciting) happen yesterday.  

As most of you know, I've been doing this AFL podcast for about 14 months.  

At this point, I actually spend more time talking with people that live in Australia than I do people in my own neighborhood.  About 6 weeks ago, someone reached out to me on messenger, and told me that they'd discovered my podcast.  They explained that they were from Queensland (which is a VERY rugby dominated state), and had just been transferred to Victoria (a VERY Aussie Rules dominated state).  

She admitted that she doesn't know much about footy, and now that she is in Victoria, she needs to learn the game, and hence she found my podcast.  I knew that she worked as a "drive-time" radio host.  Yesterday, she reached out and said that she and her station managers have decided that they would like me to come onto their show once a week, during the season, to talk about the previous week's games, and discuss the upcoming games and news of the week.

Absolutely stoked about this opportunity, as I think it can lead to a significant bump in my listenership.  (also have interviews scheduled with people involved with bringing the game to India and Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia.)  Linkedin has been such an untapped resource for making connections.  I thought I'd hear from a handful of people, and it has been dozens and dozens and dozens who've reached out.  This is uncharted territory where a hobby becomes stressful (in a good way).  I have to keep reminding myself of the old adage I use with my students when I've given them a huge project.  "How do you eat an elephant?"  "One bite at a time."

excited melbourne football club GIF by Melbournefc

• Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 1:01 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

At this point, I actually spend more time talking with people that live in Australia than I do people in my own neighborhood.  About 6 weeks ago, someone reached out to me on messenger, and told me that they'd discovered my podcast.  They explained that they were from Queensland (which is a VERY rugby dominated state), and had just been transferred to Victoria (a VERY Aussie Rules dominated state).  

She admitted that she doesn't know much about footy, and now that she is in Victoria, she needs to learn the game, and hence she found my podcast.  I knew that she worked as a "drive-time" radio host.  Yesterday, she reached out and said that she and her station managers have decided that they would like me to come onto their show once a week, during the season, to talk about the previous week's games, and discuss the upcoming games and news of the week.

Absolutely stoked about this opportunity, as I think it can lead to a significant bump in my listenership.  (also have interviews scheduled with people involved with bringing the game to India and Thailand/Malaysia/Indonesia.)  Linkedin has been such an untapped resource for making connections.  I thought I'd hear from a handful of people, and it has been dozens and dozens and dozens who've reached out.  This is uncharted territory where a hobby becomes stressful (in a good way).  I have to keep reminding myself of the old adage I use with my students when I've given them a huge project.  "How do you eat an elephant?"  "One bite at a time."

Great work man Nice to see you podcast is picking up after all the effort you put into an awesome podcast.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Making their Mark.....is FANTASTIC!  If you haven't checked it out yet, it is on Amazon Prime.  

Yeah its awesome viewing i hope they do alot more of it. Afl needs to start doing something like nfl films. 

Less than a week to season starts perfect time to release it. 

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 5:01 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

I'm a rugby fan, but intrigued about AFL. Not seen much and I'd be a total rookie. Will check your poddie out

• Like 1

Rd. 1 of the men's comp full of upsets (looking at you Geelong and Brisbane).  Women's final round coming up this week, with 5 of the 6 final teams pretty much locked in.  Some great footy last weekend, including Darcy Vescio's 5 goal performance against the Suns.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/564929/darcy-vescio-scary-good-in-high-five-performance?videoId=564929&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1616143200001

Also thrilled to announce that my new podcast website is up and running.  ayankonthefooty.com

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 3:45 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Rd. 1 of the men's comp full of upsets (looking at you Geelong and Brisbane).  Women's final round coming up this week, with 5 of the 6 final teams pretty much locked in.  Some great footy last weekend, including Darcy Vescio's 5 goal performance against the Suns.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/564929/darcy-vescio-scary-good-in-high-five-performance?videoId=564929&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1616143200001

Also thrilled to announce that my new podcast website is up and running.  ayankonthefooty.com

Yeah was a round of upsets. Love the new rules made the game quicker. 

Good to see Dangerfield get suspended for 3 weeks for his careless bump. AFL taking player safety serious for once. Guy had a broken nose and concussion so 3 weeks seems about right.