Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

For me the players are starting to look really bad in this whole situation.

There is no money coming in which in includes no tv, gate receipts, merchandise, sponsorship and most clubs are having to lay off or stood down 80% of their staff. The league is going to bank to loan money using marvel stadium as collateral just so league and teams can survive. And players still want 50% of their money for not even playing. 

Plus with tens of thousands of people losing there jobs in australia to the crisis and struggling to make ends meet with having a job one day and then not it is really bad look for players to still demand there money. 

• Like 1

Players and league have reached agreement 50% of cut of salaries of players for next 2 months then goes to 70% after that if more time is missed. 

Spread of virus is increasing in australia so i doubt it come back in june at this stage. 

Good news thou especially for gamers 

AFL Evolution 2 is being released mid april on xbox one, ps4 and switch for those that need a replacement for the real thing like me this is the way to go. 

• Like 1

@Aussie9er something that i saw on abc news this morning i found quite interesting, jobkeeper payment from the government might well have the completely unintended effect of easing financial burdens on the afl and nrl given it extends to the executives for sure and possibly players... super rugby not so lucky but that's fine because nobody watches the rugby anyway

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great to see season ready to restart sad to see south Australia and west Australia clubs getting disadvantaged again with them spend the first month of season playing away while Melbourne clubs get to stay at home. It’s this reason why a lot of us in Western Australia call the AFL the vfl still since they only seem to care about the fairness if it Involves a Victoria based team. Just read Queensland government gave AFL donation so they could host a hub great to see AFL is still as corrupt as ever.

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1

i'm wondering how the displaced teams will go, ie if you will see any net downward effect on performance coming from being isolated in the hub away from their families and their friends back home where they live during the regular season

the nrl got their startup plan in a lot easier because they only had to deal with eastern seaboard states whereas i suppose given the rona is almost eradicated in WA and SA i see why their governments are a bit more apprehensive

I believe kids and partners are going with the 4 teams so should be fine. I'd think the hub only required for a month. I read if they had Vic clubs relocate then they wouldn't have been able to bring families due to cost. 4 teams is affordable though.

• Like 1

My anger is more to do with double standard the Victorian clubs get away with due to AFL Head Office.

For Example

Western Australia and South Australia governments relaxed restrictions a week ago to allow groups of 10 people to train where for Victoria clubs it was still only groups of 2. So AFL told all clubs only groups of 2 were allowed for training so that there was a competitive balance. Then a week later they tell 4 clubs from SA and WA they have to go play in a hub and leave home for atleast a month why the Victorian clubs all get to stay at home. How is that competitive Balance. 

Also AFL told their players they wouldnt be forced into receiving a flu shot to play like rubgy players have to. But by sending them to a queensland hub all those players are required to get a flu shot or they can't play cause its a requirement from Queensland Government. Funny how Victorian clubs players get to choose to get the shot. 

Btw i am a diehard richmond tigers fan but i live in western australia so i get see both sides to the story cause the local teams get disadvantaged but my tigers get all the advantages. 

Edited by Aussie9er
  • Like 1