Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

3 hours ago, Hail Mary said:

Listened to some of the second episode. 

Good stuff. *Thumbs up*.

Ive been wondering about the season this year, are the bushfires going to get in the way of it going ahead?

I don't think so.  In fact, footy just might be the 2 hour respite that people need to recharge and continue to fight.  One of the first people to "welcome me and explain the game understandable detail" in a Geelong forum online, lost his house about 8 days ago.  Feel terrible for him.  

I am doing an interview on Saturday, with a couple of people from the USAFL who are doing a fundraiser for a fire brigade in a small town outside of Adelaide.  If I can do a little bit to help out, then I am thrilled to do so.

Episodes 3 and 4 are an interview that I did with a Cats fan, who is 2nd cousin of Cats legend Reg Hickey.  

• Like 1

The podcast is good my man, fun to listen to.

I liked episode one for a few reasons. Like hearing about how you became a fan and the story about your daughters nickname/why you almost became a Collingwood fan. 

If I may, I found myself enjoying the episodes where it was you just talking about the sport, I'm hoping to learn alot from listening to you talk about the upcoming season, how you think the ladder will unfold, maybe some recaps or analysis, just my two cents. 

Keep it up!

You know what I've been wondering quite a bit since I started watching? How AFL athletes measure up to other sports. Like to NFL and NBA players, vertical, 40 yrd dash, broad, agility etc.

I'm sure they're not quite as athletic as the best in those leagues, but I'm sure they put up some good numbers. 

7 hours ago, Hail Mary said:

The podcast is good my man, fun to listen to.

I liked episode one for a few reasons. Like hearing about how you became a fan and the story about your daughters nickname/why you almost became a Collingwood fan. 

If I may, I found myself enjoying the episodes where it was you just talking about the sport, I'm hoping to learn alot from listening to you talk about the upcoming season, how you think the ladder will unfold, maybe some recaps or analysis, just my two cents. 

Keep it up!

Thanks!  I'm glad that you are enjoying it.  Feel free to reach out with your contact info.  You are likely the kind of person that should eventually be a guest on the show.  I certainly don't know everything, in fact, I'd say that I still don't know much at all.  (I've got about 2 dozen people that are very interested in being guests on the podcast, and now that I figured out my recording glitch from episode 3, I am looking forward to sitting down and learning more about the game from them.  

I am hoping to talk with fans of each team to get their outlook on the upcoming season.  

I've found these to be treasure trove sof information as well.  https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/     https://australianfootball.com/

7 hours ago, Hail Mary said:

You know what I've been wondering quite a bit since I started watching? How AFL athletes measure up to other sports. Like to NFL and NBA players, vertical, 40 yrd dash, broad, agility etc.

I'm sure they're not quite as athletic as the best in those leagues, but I'm sure they put up some good numbers. 

I think it all depends on how you measure "athletic."  They're more like "full-contact" cross country runners.

8 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Thanks!  I'm glad that you are enjoying it.  Feel free to reach out with your contact info.  You are likely the kind of person that should eventually be a guest on the show.  I certainly don't know everything, in fact, I'd say that I still don't know much at all.  (I've got about 2 dozen people that are very interested in being guests on the podcast, and now that I figured out my recording glitch from episode 3, I am looking forward to sitting down and learning more about the game from them.  

I am hoping to talk with fans of each team to get their outlook on the upcoming season.  

I've found these to be treasure trove sof information as well.  https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/     https://australianfootball.com/

I'm flattered for the invitation my man, really. I'd love to be able to come on, but trust me, I wouldn't have much to contribute to a conversation. I barely know a handful of players and have only watched a few games, didn't even see much of the finals last year. Not to mention, I'm not much of a phone guy lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hail Mary said:

I'm flattered for the invitation my man, really. I'd love to be able to come on, but trust me, I wouldn't have much to contribute to a conversation. I barely know a handful of players and have only watched a few games, didn't even see much of the finals last year. Not to mention, I'm not much of a phone guy lol.

I honestly think you are just the kind of person to have on, even for a short segment.  You've become interested in the game.  You want to learn more, and you surely seem excited about the upcoming season. Trust me, a conversation would not be to attempt to embarass you at all, but rather learn how you were drawn to the game, and what you know, and want to know about the game.  I would definitely trade question ideas with you before we actually sat down to talk.  

• Like 1

So excited for the coming season. Can Richmond do the double ? Can the Cats win the Premiership in Gary's last year ? Do the Giants bounce back after the most one sided Grand Final in memory ? Does Kelly push West Coast to the Premiership ? All these and more great story lines for the coming season. 

As an Australian i can say the bush fires shouldnt have an effect on the season with it being 2 months away. Air quality might be a concern thou. 

Great that there going to play state of origin which is basically an all star game for afl to raise chartiy for bush fire relief. Its Victoria vs allies (basically the rest) its on 28th of feb. 

Going to listen the the podcasts at work this week bucketheadsdad

• Like 2