Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

39 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

a lot of talk there should have been charges over that hit

thoughts?

Wouldn't happen (I think assault charges have only ever been laid once for a punch on the field at the top level).  It certainly was beyond what a person would expect on the field, and if that was on the street it certainly could have resulted in charges, so I can see why it has been brought up again

• 2 weeks later...

Final weekend of the fixture.  Still quite a bit to play for.  

Will the Swans be resting Buddy for the finals?  

Can the Suns shock the Cats?  (I sure as hell hope not.)

133 point win over Freemantle might make the Cats a bit complacent.  

Should be a very competitive finals.  Several teams have taken Richmond to the brink.  Will they get stopped?  

The Finals are set.   

Image result for 2018 afl finals

Richmond Tigers v. Hawthorn Hawks

Melbourne Demons v. Geelong Cats

Sydney Swans v. Great Western Sydney Giants

West Coast Eagles v. Collingwood Magpies

Interesting approach to the finals here.  Bottom 4 teams (Demons, Cats, Swans, Giants) play in an elimination final game.  Lose.  You're out.  Top 4 play one another.  1X4, 2X3.  Win?  You've got a week off before playing again.  Lose?  You go back into the tournament, and play the winner of the elimination final.  A rather interesting way to run a tournament.  

On 11/08/2018 at 8:37 AM, Shady Slim said:

a lot of talk there should have been charges over that hit

thoughts?

Naaaah, I mean I get the reasoning, but it's a fine line to start charging people for incidents that happen in a professional sports environment. 

Can't wait for next week. Melbourne vs Geelong I've got my ticket.

On 27/08/2018 at 1:08 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

The Finals are set.   

Image result for 2018 afl finals

Richmond Tigers v. Hawthorn Hawks

Melbourne Demons v. Geelong Cats

Sydney Swans v. Great Western Sydney Giants

West Coast Eagles v. Collingwood Magpies

Interesting approach to the finals here.  Bottom 4 teams (Demons, Cats, Swans, Giants) play in an elimination final game.  Lose.  You're out.  Top 4 play one another.  1X4, 2X3.  Win?  You've got a week off before playing again.  Lose?  You go back into the tournament, and play the winner of the elimination final.  A rather interesting way to run a tournament.  

The narrative between Melbourne and Geelong is amazing too.

Played twice this year, both games decided on a single kick just before or just after the siren. 

Hopefully it's third time lucky for the Dees.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, khodder said:

Naaaah, I mean I get the reasoning, but it's a fine line to start charging people for incidents that happen in a professional sports environment. 

Can't wait for next week. Melbourne vs Geelong I've got my ticket.

Very, very envious.  I'll be watching it at 5:50 a.m. here.  My students don't arrive in my classroom until 8:05.  

On 8/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, khodder said:

The narrative between Melbourne and Geelong is amazing too.

Played twice this year, both

games decided on a single kick just before or just after the siren. 

Hopefully it's third time lucky for the Dees.

OK, in that regard, I must disagree with you.  :D   

I've had some discussions with AFL fans in Australia (on FB) about the fact that the AFL "strongly encourages" teams to give up home games at their home grounds, in order to play a "home" game at the MCG.  The Cats played two top 4 teams twice at the MCG.  Lost all 4 of them.  Most were very closely contested matches, which if two of the were played at GMBHA (where the dimensions are a bit different), might have allowed them to be further up the ladder than the 8th spot.  My personal opinion is that it puts non-MCG clubs at a distinct disadvantage.   I understand that the proceeds for the game go to the "home" team, in that case Geelong, but that is one hell of a trade off.  Sure, the NFL plays games in Europe, but both squads are playing on "neutral ground."  Could you imagine an NFL team that doesn't draw well being told, 'go play a "home" game against the Patriots, in New England.  You'll get all of the revenue for the game.....along with likely getting their clocks cleaned.  

Go Cats!

Related image

32 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I've had some discussions with AFL fans in Australia (on FB) about the fact that the AFL "strongly encourages" teams to give up home games at their home grounds, in order to play a "home" game at the MCG.  The Cats played two top 4 teams twice at the MCG.  Lost all 4 of them.  Most were very closely contested matches, which if two of the were played at GMBHA (where the dimensions are a bit different), might have allowed them to be further up the ladder than the 8th spot.  My personal opinion is that it puts non-MCG clubs at a distinct disadvantage.   I understand that the proceeds for the game go to the "home" team, in that case Geelong, but that is one hell of a trade off.  Sure, the NFL plays games in Europe, but both squads are playing on "neutral ground."  Could you imagine an NFL team that doesn't draw well being told, 'go play a "home" game against the Patriots, in New England.  You'll get all of the revenue for the game.....along with likely getting their clocks cleaned.  

Sounds like you are only talking to Geelong fans

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Sounds like you are only talking to Geelong fans

No, actually, fans of clubs all over the league.  They've resigned themselves to the fact that this is the way it is, and will continue to be.  Many see no problem with it at all.  (It is just me having a half century of professional sports here in the states, where they divide the home and away schedule evenly.)  Some Geelong fans are upset about it, but others argue that it is necessary from an economics standpoint, while others argue that the Cats need to learn how to beat teams like the Tigers and Hawks on the "big stage" of the MCG.  In a way, I am in agreement with them about that fact, but if they'd have had a lower percentage, and ended up 12-10, the Roos, Power, Bombers or Crows could have leapfrogged them into the 8th spot.  (That being the case, I don't really think anyone wanted to face the Bombers in the finals, as they improved dramatically over the course of their fixture.)

12 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

No, actually, fans of clubs all over the league.  They've resigned themselves to the fact that this is the way it is, and will continue to be.  Many see no problem with it at all.  (It is just me having a half century of professional sports here in the states, where they divide the home and away schedule evenly.)  Some Geelong fans are upset about it, but others argue that it is necessary from an economics standpoint, while others argue that the Cats need to learn how to beat teams like the Tigers and Hawks on the "big stage" of the MCG.  In a way, I am in agreement with them about that fact, but if they'd have had a lower percentage, and ended up 12-10, the Roos, Power, Bombers or Crows could have leapfrogged them into the 8th spot.  (That being the case, I don't really think anyone wanted to face the Bombers in the finals, as they improved dramatically over the course of their fixture.)

To be fair, he may be right.

The only team that has "home" games moved to the MCG are Geelong and it usually has more to do with capacity and membership. Geelong will almost always end up (shhhhhh Voluntarily)  moving their home games vs Richmond and Hawthorn to the MCG because it means about triple the revenue for the club. It also means that more of the 63,818 Geelong Members have a chance to get to the game given GHMBA holds ~36,000. 

In fact despite this Friday's game being ostensibly a Melbourne Home game the crowd I'm expecting will be 50/50 if not slightly tilted in Geelongs favour.

Edited by khodder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i’d like to see the giants or the dees get it but it feels like a death march for everyone not named the tigers

even though i live in nsw i’m an essendon fan so it was a shame to see them fall just short of the ploffs

The Bombers were playing very well towards the end of the year.  If they got into the finals, no one was going to want to face them.