Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

5 hours ago, khodder said:

The only team that has "home" games moved to the MCG are Geelong

That's not exactly true.  I'm pretty sure Essendon and Carlton play home games at the 'G when their home is technically Docklands for the same reasons (money/allowing bigger crowds to attend)

17 hours ago, drd23 said:

That's not exactly true.  I'm pretty sure Essendon and Carlton play home games at the 'G when their home is technically Docklands for the same reasons (money/allowing bigger crowds to attend)

True, But I'm also pretty sure that neither fan-base minds that. I know plenty of Carlton fans who would much rather play at the G. Geelong is really the only fanbase I've heard complain about it, which I fully understand.

3 hours ago, khodder said:

True, But I'm also pretty sure that neither fan-base minds that. I know plenty of Carlton fans who would much rather play at the G. Geelong is really the only fanbase I've heard complain about it, which I fully understand.

And most of them complain because they lose the significant competitive advantage that is playing at their weird shaped ground. 

I'm sure they'd see the problem if they were effectively locked out every time they played an away game against a popular team or had to travel to Tassie to play the Hawks instead of the MCG

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

And most of them complain because they lose the significant competitive advantage that is playing at their weird shaped ground. 

I'm sure they'd see the problem if they were effectively locked out every time they played an away game against a popular team or had to travel to Tassie to play the Hawks instead of the MCG

Tassie is a great place!! :D 

Carlton don't have a competitive advantage anywhere right now :)
From what I saw - Essendon play the G better than Marvel Stadium.

Who are your squad?

9 hours ago, drd23 said:

I've tried to see if I can find an "overlay map" allowing me to superimpose different grounds on top of one another.  I keep hearing that GMBHA is "cigar shaped."  I don't see that on TV here in the states.  

5 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I've tried to see if I can find an "overlay map" allowing me to superimpose different grounds on top of one another.  I keep hearing that GMBHA is "cigar shaped."  I don't see that on TV here in the states.  

IIRC its about 20-30 metres narrower than the MCG, so now it and the SCG are the only regular home grounds  that are significantly differently shaped (Subiaco is/was significantly bigger than other grounds but is no longer an AFL venue)

• Like 1

#   Stadium                       Sponsored Name    City       State   Capacity   Dimensions
1.  The Melbourne Cricket Ground  N/A               Melbourne  VIC     100,021    160.0m x 141.0m
2.  Stadium Australia             ANZ Stadium       Sydney     NSW      82,500    160.0m x 136.0m
2.  Docklands Stadium             Etihad Stadium    Melbourne  VIC      53,355    159.5m x 128.8m
3.  Adelaide Oval                 N/A               Adelaide   SA       53,000    167.1m x 123.9m
4.  The Sydney Cricket Ground     N/A               Sydney     NSW      43,386    149.0m x 136.0m
5.  Subiaco Oval                  Patersons Stadium Perth      WA       43,500    175.6m x 122.4m
6.  The Gabba                     N/A               Brisbane   QLD      41,000    156.0m x 138.0m
7.  Kardinia Park                 Simonds Stadium   Geelong    VIC      28,300    170.0m x 115.0m
8.  Carrara Oval                  Metricon Stadium  Gold Coast QLD      25,000    160.0m x 134.0m
8.  Sydney Showgrounds            Spotless Stadium  Sydney     NSW      25,000    164.0m x 123.0m
10. York Park                     Aurora Stadium    Launceston TAS      21,000    165.0m x 135.0m
11. Marrara Oval                  TIO Stadium       Darwin     NT       17,000    175.0m x 135.0m
12. Bellerive Oval                Blundstone Arena  Hobart     TAS      16,200    175.0m x 133.5m
13. Manuka Oval                   StarTrack Oval    Canberra   ACT      14,000    162.5m x 138.4m

MCG tends to be significantly wider than most grounds.

Kardinia park, like Subiaco was and to a lesser extent Adelaide Oval are all longer, but narrower.

The SCG is a weird one; much shorter.

Edited by khodder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, khodder said:

The atmosphere at the Dees vs Cats game was incredible. 91,000 probably a good 70% Dee's fan (Thanks in part to the heavy Dees lean of the MCC).

I'll be there again as they take on the Hawks. Big hopes for this squad.

Best of luck.  Friday morning at 5:50 am here.  I'll have the game on in my classroom before the school day starts.  (Probably even as the kids come in, as they inevitably watch the game with a degree of confusion.  (Most think it is rugby.)  

On 9/11/2018 at 3:07 AM, khodder said:

The atmosphere at the Dees vs Cats game was incredible. 91,000 probably a good 70% Dee's fan (Thanks in part to the heavy Dees lean of the MCC).

I'll be there again as they take on the Hawks. Big hopes for this squad.

I hope you enjoyed the game!  The Dees are really peaking at the right time.  They are becoming a very, very good club.  It is a good thing for the Eagles that they're playing at Optus, in front of a home crowd, because I think the Dees are going to give them all they can handle.  I think with Nic Nat gone for the season, West Coast doesn't have much to throw at Max Gawn, other than hoping he spends the day eating popcorn and watching Gilmore Girls.  :) 

Watching that game this morning, I surely thought the umpires had placed their bets on the Hawks.  Those two free kicks on "low tackles" (one on Jordan Lewis) were horrible calls.  

Edited by Bucketheadsdad