Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

On 5/23/2018 at 11:48 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

They smacked the hell out of Carlton this weekend.

I am a huge baseball fan here in the states, but with the WatchAFL app, I am finding myself watching several Footy games each weekend, and can't get enough of watching Gerard Whatley and Mark Robinson on AFL 360.  (There are a couple of youtube sites that post "The Footy Show" and "Front Bar" and a couple other programs.)  I have become so engrossed by the game.  

Do you watch live games? What sort of times are they on?

1 hour ago, aussie_eagle said:

Do you watch live games? What sort of times are they on?

I do watch some of the games live.  Melbourne is 14 hours ahead of where I live, so Richmond and St. Kilda are starting right now; 11:30 p.m.  I'm going to be heading to bed soon, as I will be up for the 5:25 a.m. start of the Cats and Blues.  I did watch the first three 1/2  periods of Pies/Bulldogs game this morning, before my students arrived.  (after Western's showing in the 2nd half, I could have just as easily skipped the 2nd half).  Most mornings, I watch the AFL360 episode that just aired that evening in Australia.  I watch most of the games on replay.  

With the WatchAFL app, I can watch them on replay whenever I want to.  ( I just have to avoid twitter, FB and the AFL website before watching. ) 

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

Great weekend of action.  Here are the highlights!

Melbourne Demons vs Adelaide Crows

Hawthorn Hawks vs. West Coast Eagles

Freemantle Dockers vs North Melbourne Kangaroos

Great Western Sydney Giants vs Essendon Bombers

Geelong Cats vs Carlton Blues

Brisbane Lions vs Sydney Swans

Richmond Tigers vs St. Kilda Saints

Collingwood Magpies vs Western Bulldogs

Top 10 moments of the weekend

This week on FS2 June 1st (Friday night/Saturday morning 5 a.m). Essendon Bombers vs Richmond Tigers

The following week,  11:30 pm Friday night, Geelong Cats vs North Melbourne Kangaroos

Set your DVRs.  

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

56 minutes ago, aussie_eagle said:

Melbourne going skiing the last 2 weeks. Will be interesting how they will perform when teams try and stop Melbourne's strengths

To be fair Adelaide are the second best contested possession team in the AFL and the Dees blitzed them through the midfield.

The four tall rotation up front is working and right now they're kicking straighter than anyone. 

The resume does need some more big scalps, though the win over North looks better by the week.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, khodder said:

To be fair Adelaide are the second best contested possession team in the AFL and the Dees blitzed them through the midfield.

The four tall rotation up front is working and right now they're kicking straighter than anyone. 

The resume does need some more big scalps, though the win over North looks better by the week.

Adelaide were missing their best players.

Anyhow the best forum for AFL is bigfooty.com/forum

2 minutes ago, aussie_eagle said:

I'm just trying to generate some more interest with some Americans here in this forum.  I'm thrilled that some die-hard footy fans run across this thread.  It had been quite an echo chamber for the first year.  :)

40 minutes ago, aussie_eagle said:

And still without those players they've been one of the best contested possession teams in the AFL.

Collingwood and Port Adelaide over the next month will be good challenges. 

On 5/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, Bucketheadsdad said:

I do watch some of the games live.  Melbourne is 14 hours ahead of where I live, so Richmond and St. Kilda are starting right now; 11:30 p.m.  I'm going to be heading to bed soon, as I will be up for the 5:25 a.m. start of the Cats and Blues.  I did watch the first three 1/2  periods of Pies/Bulldogs game this morning, before my students arrived.  (after Western's showing in the 2nd half, I could have just as easily skipped the 2nd half).  Most mornings, I watch the AFL360 episode that just aired that evening in Australia.  I watch most of the games on replay.  

With the WatchAFL app, I can watch them on replay whenever I want to.  ( I just have to avoid twitter, FB and the AFL website before watching. ) 

Wow that's dedication. Do any of your friends/family watch any games with you?

Wow that's dedication. Do any of your friends/family watch any games with you?

I've watched a couple games with my 75 y.o. mother, and she finds it fascinating.  My wife thinks that I am crazy for taking interest in another sport.  (Truth be told, that is just the latest thing that makes her think I am crazy.)  

No one comes to my house to watch, or anything like that, but I do have a few co-workers that are watching the one game each week that is broadcast on TV here in the states.  Richmond and Essendon this week, and Geelong and North next week.  A few of my students are watching the highlights on youtube, and a couple are also recording the games to watch later.

43 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I've watched a couple games with my 75 y.o. mother, and she finds it fascinating.  My wife thinks that I am crazy for taking interest in another sport.  (Truth be told, that is just the latest thing that makes her think I am crazy.)  

No one comes to my house to watch, or anything like that, but I do have a few co-workers that are watching the one game each week that is broadcast on TV here in the states.  Richmond and Essendon this week, and Geelong and North next week.  A few of my students are watching the highlights on youtube, and a couple are also recording the games to watch later.

The co-workers watching night games - wouldn't that be on at like 5am your time? Your students? Are you a university or school teacher? Have any of them kicked a ball around?

The co-workers watching night games - wouldn't that be on at like 5am your time? Your students? Are you a university or school teacher? Have any of them kicked a ball around?

We are 14 hours behind you, so, for example, Swans/Blues is on at 5:50 a.m.  The other people watching the games are recording them, and watching them later.  

I am a high school teacher (mostly 16-18 year olds) teaching American government and a college level human geography course.  Truth be told, I have never seen a Sherrin in person.  :) 

A couple big games in the comp this weekend.

Kangaroos/Cats at Kardinia Park (yeah, I know it has a new name) and Demons/Magpies at the MCG.  (5+6 and 3+7 on the ladder)  Two great matchups.

Interesting that Mitchell is now a front-runner for the Brownlow, and his contact earlier sure looked to be more egregious than that of Fyfe.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

A couple big games in the comp this weekend.

Kangaroos/Cats at Kardinia Park (yeah, I know it has a new name) and Demons/Magpies at the MCG.  (5+6 and 3+7 on the ladder)  Two great matchups.

Interesting that Mitchell is now a front-runner for the Brownlow, and his contact earlier sure looked to be more egregious than that of Fyfe.

I'll be one of the masses at the MCG proudly backing the Dees.

The Dee vs Pies will be a huge battle in the midfield, but with the way the Dees are playing in the forward half I'm confident in picking up the win.

• Like 1