Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

http://www.afl.com.au/

FS2 carries a "game of the week" on Fridays at midnight (eastern time).

Anyone else watching any of these?  

A bit different from rugby, and it has quite a bit more action (in my opinion) than soccer.  

Still figuring out all of the nuances to the game, but it has been fun to watch.

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

Interesting topic, as I came from completely the opposite direction, being an Australian who grew up watching AFL and now enjoys the NFL. It took me a while to get my head around the rules of the NFL, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. I hope it's the same for you! I've noticed there are a few aussies on here, so I'm sure if you have any questions, somebody will answer them!

FWIW, I used to support Essendon, but haven't followed it since I was about 12. Wouldn't have  a clue who is where on the ladder at the moment :P 

7 hours ago, biggbrd said:

Interesting topic, as I came from completely the opposite direction, being an Australian who grew up watching AFL and now enjoys the NFL. It took me a while to get my head around the rules of the NFL, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. I hope it's the same for you! I've noticed there are a few aussies on here, so I'm sure if you have any questions, somebody will answer them!

FWIW, I used to support Essendon, but haven't followed it since I was about 12. Wouldn't have  a clue who is where on the ladder at the moment :P 

I think that I'm figuring some things out.  I think I've figured out the scoring.  

Moving ball around the field.....I figured out the bouncing of the ball every 16 yards, the hand bumping (I don't think that it is the correct term), The free unimpeded kicks after catching a kick from a teammate as well.

In my opinion, it is much more interesting to watch than soccer.  Much more action.  

The biggest drawback is that I'm too old to stay up and watch games that start at midnight in my time zone.  (Thank goodness for Tivo.)

• 2 weeks later...

The AFL has a very unique approach to their playoffs.  

There are 18 teams in the league, and the top 8 make it into the playoffs.  

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder/ladder-predictor

They take a very interesting approach to their playoffs.  

1+3 and 2+4 play one another in the first round.  5+8 and 6+7 also play one another.  The winners of 1/3 and 2/4 get a bye week, and losers in the 1/3 2/4 matchups play the winners of the 5/8 6/7 round, before playing the winners of the the 1/3 and 2/4 matchups from the previous week.  

Interesting take on things, as it gives the losers in the top 4 an opportunity to play their way back into the finals (somewhat similar to a double elimination baseball tournament, or wrestling competition.  

I'm rooting for the #2 seeded Geelong Cats to win it all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Great first round of playoffs.  

A couple of blowouts, but the Port Adelaide Power/West Coast Eagles elimination game was a classic, regardless of the sport.  

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-09/highlights-port-adelaide-v-west-coast  

Final two minutes of the game.  Only the 3rd overtime game in the 120 year history of the AFL playoffs.  A real nail biter.  

One of the best games (of any sport) that I have ever watched.  Set your Tivo's.  It is worthwhile.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:22 PM, drd23 said:

I'm not sure this coming weekend will be, but the week after certainly will be. 

I am still trying to figure out which team I want to root for.  I've joined a couple FB AFL chatrooms, and lots of folks are trying to convince me to support their team. (Wow, I should edit this, but I'll just leave the term "root" here.  One does not "root" for a footy club.)

Doing a little research, then I'll decide, and that does NOT mean I'm necessarily going with whoever takes the Grand Final. :) 

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

5 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I am still trying to figure out which team I want to root for.

I won't tell you which team to pick, but I will tell you which ones you shouldn't

- GWS & Gold Coast - they are new expansion franchises that are resented by a lot of fans because they lack the history/culture of other teams and were manufactured by the league with significant draft concessions
- Brisbane - they are a mess off the field and will take a long time to be any good, if ever
- Hawthorn - picking them would be the same as a new NFL fan picking the Patriots - you'll look like a bandwagon fan
- Collingwood - probably my bias showing as my team has somewhat of a rivalry with them, but you'd be joining the most "redneck" fan base in the league

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

I won't tell you which team to pick, but I will tell you which ones you shouldn't

- GWS & Gold Coast - they are new expansion franchises that are resented by a lot of fans because they lack the history/culture of other teams and were manufactured by the league with significant draft concessions
- Brisbane - they are a mess off the field and will take a long time to be any good, if ever
- Hawthorn - picking them would be the same as a new NFL fan picking the Patriots - you'll look like a bandwagon fan
- Collingwood - probably my bias showing as my team has somewhat of a rivalry with them, but you'd be joining the most "redneck" fan base in the league

I was considering Collingwood for the simple reason that Magpie was my daughter's nickname when she was a little kid.  

After Thursday night's Geelong smashing of the favorite Sydney Swans, and last night's Giants dismantling of the WC Eagles, the Final Four is set.  

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-16/who-plays-who-in-the-preliminary-finals

Pathway-to-the-Grand-Final_flags_GWS.jpg

I'm rooting for the Geelong Cats, but I think they may be the underdog.  

Highlights from the two quarter final games.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-15/highlights-geelong-cats-v-sydney-swans

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-16/highlights-gws-v-west-coast

The first Preliminary Final is in the books.  The Adelaide Crows capitalized on countless mistakes from the Geelong Cats, and will play next week in the Grand Final.  

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-22/highlights-adelaide-v-geelong

Adelaide:  21-10-136

Geelong:  10-15-75

An absolute blowout.  Best of luck to the Crows next week in the MCG.

12:30 a.m. East coast time tonight - Adelaide Crows and Richmond Tigers play at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) for the Grand Final championship.

Unfortunately, FS2 in their lack of infinite wisdom has decided to not air the match (they've aired matches ALL season), and are, instead, showing UFC reruns.  

Not happy with FS2 at all, right now.

Here are some of the biggest hits from the season that is concluding tonight.