How many years do top QBs have left?

brownie man

How many years do the top QBs have left?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How many years does Eli have left?

2. 2. How many years does Phillip Rivers have left?

3. 3. How many years does Brees have left?

I personally think the Giants passing on Rosen or Darnold would be the stupidest move of the decade. Worse than my Browns passing on Wentz.

but the argument is that Eli has time left 

I love Eli but to me that’s so stupid to pass on a franchise QB when you got a 37 year old guy who had been clearly declining 

but the question is how much time do these QBs have left that would justify passing on QBs

Rivers has said he wants to be the starting QB when the Chargers open up in Inglewood in 2020, so that is three more season. In terms of high level play, he hasn't really lost much and is coming off one of the best seasons of his career, but you never know with QB's as they get older....sometimes they just hit a wall. 

5 hours ago, Danger said:

Rivers strikes me as the kind of guy who can play into his late 30s, for some reason.

Well, yes, but the Chargers can also rest assured in that they have (as Dinklage notes) the luxury of having Geno Smith, now in his sixth season poised to take the expected leap to Greatness, waiting in the wings!

"Ho' dupp! Loose ball, LOOSE BALL!!!"

Image result for Geno Smith

2-3 for Rivers, some depends on if the team invests a 1st rnd pick on a QB. His play style lends itself to having a longer career because he is already most likely the least athletic QB in the league.

I'm hoping he can Elway himself into a ring or 2 before calling it quits. The team is being built to give him the best possible chance.

To me Eli is effectively done whether he plays any longer or not. An elite QB doesn’t lead a team to a season like that. We saw what Brees did with historically awful defenses. The Giants were a small step above being the Browns last season. If the Giants don’t get a QB now while they have a chance they’ll regret it, because Eli isn’t the guy anymore. 

Rivers can maybe keep his current pace two more years. But it’s a step down from what he was. 

Brees is the tricky one. I almost want to give him three. I think he’ll last however long Brady’s around for. 

Eli can still play as his preformances have never been great and with OBJ and Engram he really can be game manger into his 40s, so as long the Giants defense is upper echelon.

I think Rivers calls it quits after the 2020 season, due to pressure from Anthony Lynn and his obsession for mobile QBs. The inglewood stadium opens up in 2021

Drew Brees will milk out as much success from this newly dominate Saints offense as much as he can before calling it quits. Probably finishes the contract.

The QB not on this list that I think calls it quits early is Aaron Rodgers, mainly due to suffering so much injuries and the packers being clueless as to build a Super Bowl team. I don't think he makes past 3 seasons. Plus NFC North is getting better and the rest of the divisions QBs are much younger. Tom Brady on the otherhand is done after this season, unless he wants to show it to the Patriots and win elsewhere for 1 year.

Ive never been a big Eli fan, but I think he will play another 3 years.  

I think this is likely his last year with the Giants, but I wouldnt be shocked to see him on a team like the Dolphins or Jaguars in 2019.

That's pretty cool that you can do polls like this now, I haven't seen one yet since the new forums started.

All three of these guys are under contract through 2019 and none of them have decent project QBs behind them afaik so the only way they don't finish those contracts would be huge injury of major fall off in play, and I think Rivers and Brees will both still be at least "decent to good" for the next 3 years at least. So they will probably finish their current contracts but I don't know that they will resign with their current teams for the 2020 season or not. If those teams have anything ready to take over, they may not bother, but I could see either of them resigning for 1 more season, maybe 2 if everything is going right for it to happen. If they don't resign, both QBs will probably be good enough to go sign a 1 to 2 (maybe even 3) year contract with another team if they wanted, but I don't think either of them will want to unless they are right on the border of some huge milestone or something for stats and want it really bad.

I think pretty much all of this applies to Brady and Roethlisberger as well, except I'm most confident about Brady's play long term out of all four, and least confident about Ben's, and both of these guys are more likely to retire at the end of their contract's imo seeing as how they've won more, however Ben has said he wants to play 3 more years, and Brady wants to play until he's 50 or whatever. I also think Ben is the least likely to resign with another team, but I know Brees and Rivers have also expressed similar thoughts so it's really like a 1% chance compared to a 2% chance. IDK if Brady would ever play for another team or not.

I can see Eli's game dropping to the point of him not being as good as a typical FA QB or top rookie soon though, so I think Eli will probably play 2018 as his last year while the rookie they draft sits for a year before taking over. Whether or not he resigns with another team idk. I personally doubt it just because he has already locked up his HOF with the two superbowls and top 10 all time stats in a bunch of categories, and playing for another team (while probably being bad) for low money just doesn't seem worth it.

As an aside, while looking up some contracts for this, I realized that Rivers, Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brady, Rodgers, Winston, and Mariota's contracts are all up in 2019, meaning we will likely either see a lot of retirements that year, or a bunch of new QB contracts being signed within the next 2 years. Cam Newton's is due up in 2020, and Matt Ryans ends this upcoming season. There might be more around that window but I didn't bother to check. This is especially interesting because of Kirk Cousins contract. While it likely won't impact Rivers, Brees, Manning and Roethlisberger, because they will most likely either retire or sign on for 1 or 2 more team friendly years, Rodgers, Ryan, and Newton are all in positions to demand similar contracts in terms of 100% guaranteed money, and it's likely all three of them could demand more per year than cousins. Brady has never demanded huge contracts because his wife has more money than some NFL owners, but it will be interesting if he tries to at least make his next extension into a fully guaranteed one or not. And at the end of all this, Cousins will be ready to resign another deal right after all these guys do, so if he ends up playing well for 2 or 3 years he could very well end up the 1st or second highest paid player again on another contract.

Archived