Bears decline to match, Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith

Dome

11 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Shocked they declined to match... Pace will no doubt attribute it to his medical as the reasoning but the underlying story is that Pace screwed this one up for Chicago. 

Absolutely.  If CHI was willing to offer him 1.9M for 1 year, in their cap situation, 2.9M is a no-brainer.    And 2 years / 9.6M, when it was announced, was a deal literally 95+ percent of CHI & non-CHI members said would be matched.   Either way, the reasoning is awful - if you were letting him get a market value deal, it was a nobrainer to match.  If it was a case where they were worried about his knee that much, then you either make the 2.9M 2nd round tender and see where it goes this year, or you don't even offer him a tender at all, if you really think the risk is that awful.   For the opportunity cost, trying to save 1M is a huge screw up here on Pace's part, because the reasoning doesn't work - if he's such a huge risk for not being OK, then don't offer him any option, and let him walk.  To offer him 1.9M but not 2.9M is just dumb.   

Still, it's NO's gain.  I'm disappointed DEN didn't kick the tires, but we got ourselves in even worse cap shape than NO is in, and sadly other more pressing FA needs.   Well done, for the potential ceiling you've acquired, and at such a cheap cost - man, well done.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Absolutely.  If CHI was willing to offer him 1.9M for 1 year, in their cap situation, 2.9M is a no-brainer.    And 2 years / 9.6M, when it was announced, was a deal literally 95+ percent of CHI & non-CHI members said would be matched.   Either way, the reasoning is awful - if you were letting him get a market value deal, it was a nobrainer to match.  If it was a case where they were worried about his knee that much, then you either make the 2.9M 2nd round tender and see where it goes this year, or you don't even offer him a tender at all, if you really think the risk is that awful.   For the opportunity cost, trying to save 1M is a huge screw up here on Pace's part, because the reasoning doesn't work - if he's such a huge risk for not being OK, then don't offer him any option, and let him walk.  To offer him 1.9M but not 2.9M is just dumb.   

Still, it's NO's gain.  I'm disappointed DEN didn't kick the tires, but we got ourselves in even worse cap shape than NO is in, and sadly other more pressing FA needs.   Well done, for the potential ceiling you've acquired, and at such a cheap cost - man, well done.

Totally agreed... Saints were in the market for a big slot/redzone reciever all offseason and may have landed IMO the best case scenario in Meredith. Now of course that will be dependent on his recovery but his upside in this offense with our weapons surrounding him, the quarterback throwing to him and the coach drawing up plays for him is exciting.

I hate seeing Meredith leave but I'm glad to see him go to New Orleans at least. Get him a few years working with an elite Hall of Fame QB and showcase his talent. He is a worker and high character guy so you will like him a lot I lbet. 

I'll be rooting for him every game you guys aren't playing Chicago. 

22 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Shocked they declined to match... Pace will no doubt attribute it to his medical as the reasoning but the underlying story is that Pace screwed this one up for Chicago. 

He had already given 3 pass catchers $100 million this offseason, Meredith's one good year was across from Alshon, and like you said, his knee likely didn't recover the way they anticipated. Last night on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, when asked when he'll be ready to play, Meredith said "I'm not sure." He's a good player, but with Cohen, Robinson, Burton, White (...gulp...), Shaheen and Gabriel, Meredith was going to catch 40-45 passes in this offense, something that a 2nd-4th round pick can do for 1/20 of the cost.

You guys are getting a good player. There just was no fit for him here anymore.

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He had already given 3 pass catchers $100 million this offseason, Meredith's one good year was across from Alshon, and like you said, his knee likely didn't recover the way they anticipated. Last night on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, when asked when he'll be ready to play, Meredith said "I'm not sure." He's a good player, but with Cohen, Robinson, Burton, White (...gulp...), Shaheen and Gabriel, Meredith was going to catch 40-45 passes in this offense, something that a 2nd-4th round pick can do for 1/20 of the cost.

You guys are getting a good player. There just was no fit for him here anymore.

I didnt say his knee didn't heel the way they'd like... What I said was Pace will no doubt use the medical as the reasoning for not matching. The point is this, Pace tagged him at 1.9 so he had a value set on him and was cool with the medical then. Had he tagged him with the 2nd round tender it would have cost another million but it would have assured Cam stayed in Chicago another season like Pace clearly wanted when he tagged him in the first place. Instead Pace made a million dollar mistake and allowed a team like the Saints to price them out of their comfort zone.

My point is that with the cap space that the Bears have, if your willing to tag him at 1.9... Why not tag him at 2.9 to assure you keep him like you clearly want to or get a 2nd round pick if a team is that stupid.

I know alot about Pace from his time in NOLA... Hes a bright young GM and I think hes gonna do great in thr long run but hes always been cocky and arrogant at times and I think he made a young GM miatake that he will learn from here.

5 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I didnt say his knee didn't heel the way they'd like... What I said was Pace will no doubt use the medical as the reasoning for not matching. The point is this, Pace tagged him at 1.9 so he had a value set on him and was cool with the medical then. Had he tagged him with the 2nd round tender it would have cost another million but it would have assured Cam stayed in Chicago another season like Pace clearly wanted when he tagged him in the first place. Instead Pace made a million dollar mistake and allowed a team like the Saints to price them out of their comfort zone.

My point is that with the cap space that the Bears have, if your willing to tag him at 1.9... Why not tag him at 2.9 to assure you keep him like you clearly want to or get a 2nd round pick if a team is that stupid.

I know alot about Pace from his time in NOLA... Hes a bright young GM and I think hes gonna do great in thr long run but hes always been cocky and arrogant at times and I think he made a young GM miatake that he will learn from here.

Cocky and arrogant? Yikes, not sure I've seen that at all. He's probably been the most well-liked GM of the fans AND media that the Bears have had in quite some time.

39 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Cocky and arrogant? Yikes, not sure I've seen that at all. He's probably been the most well-liked GM of the fans AND media that the Bears have had in quite some time.

Not in a bad way... Look I really like Pace, but its more like his confidence at times rubs people the wrong way. Sorta like Baker Mayfield. Some view him as cocky amd arrogant while others view him as confident and sure of himself but almost everyone will agree that hes talented. 

Ive always felt Pace had a little of that in him. His last few years here when Mickey shifted the power structure he gave Pace alot of leeway and he made some decisions that we ended up regretting as an organization later and he got very defensive over those and thats when some of that displayed itself.

Still... Bright young exc with a bright future.

Archived